wiring ECT sensor??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Floydy

ok well im going to assume vtec wont work because only one of my ECT sensors is hooked up and its the one for the gauge that comes out of the head...my harness dosnt have a plug for the second one that tells the ecu the ECT. my question is how would i wire this? i have a spare harness with the right plug on it but i dont know where i would plug in on the ecu because on the pin sheet i only saw one wire for ECT. any ideas?

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Feb 1 2005, 01:40 AM
Ive never heard of an ECT Sensor.... :blink:
[post=454347]Quoted post[/post]​

E ngine
C oolant
T emperature

you only need the sensor that is on the t-stat housing, you may have to splice on the correct connector

the Coolant Temperature Sensor for the ECU is actually called the TW Sensor - located on end of head - has 2 wire connector, 1 red with white stripe and 1 green with white stripe - red/white goes to ECU pin C6 - green/white is ground wire that connects with ground on other sensors (intake air, barometric pressure, throttle position, etc.) and eventually ends up at ECU pin C12 - the other sensor on the end of the head is for the temperature gauge and has one wire connector with yellow/green wire - the third temperature sensor is actually a switch to turn on the cooling fan and is located on the back of the block next to the oil filter on OBD0 engines and located on the thermostat housing on OBD1 engines - it has a 2 wire connector with yellow/green and black wires

ok that helps me out thanks.....so i can plug into the sensor on the thermostat housing and run the red white to c6 and then either ground the green white or tap it in with c12 and that should solve my code problem?

Originally posted by Floydy@Feb 1 2005, 10:41 AM
ok that helps me out thanks.....so i can plug into the sensor on the thermostat housing and run the red white to c6 and then either ground the green white or tap it in with c12 and that should solve my code problem?
[post=454516]Quoted post[/post]​

that would get your sensor working - don't know if it would solve your VTEC problem

ok well dosnt the ecu need to see that the engine is up to operating temp before it will let vtec work? because i get no signals from any of the vtec wires. but i also have a TDC code. will that have anything to do with the vtec??

Originally posted by Floydy@Feb 2 2005, 03:58 PM
ok well dosnt the ecu need to see that the engine is up to operating temp before it will let vtec work? because i get no signals from any of the vtec wires. but i also have a TDC code. will that have anything to do with the vtec??
[post=455386]Quoted post[/post]​

yes, ECU verifies temperature for VTEC to work - if you have Check Engine Light (for any reason), ECU goes into back-up mode and VTEC will not work - TDC usually means the distributor is bad

ok i will try and wire up that sensor and maby its just way out of time because it runs excelent but i havent timed it since i built it and put it in the car...thanks for the help

I was thinking about that tdc trouble code and one of my friends said that my pr3 ecu might be looking for a crank angle sensor. I'm not sure if this is true, does use a crank angle sensor or keep on getting a code for tdc?

Originally posted by jlicrx@Feb 1 2005, 10:56 AM
the Coolant Temperature Sensor for the ECU is actually called the TW Sensor - located on end of head - has 2 wire connector, 1 red with white stripe and 1 green with white stripe - red/white goes to ECU pin C6 - green/white is ground wire that connects with ground on other sensors (intake air, barometric pressure, throttle position, etc.) and eventually ends up at ECU pin C12 - the other sensor on the end of the head is for the temperature gauge and has one wire connector with yellow/green wire - the third temperature sensor is actually a switch to turn on the cooling fan and is located on the back of the block next to the oil filter on OBD0 engines and located on the thermostat housing on OBD1 engines - it has a 2 wire connector with yellow/green and black wires
[post=454450]Quoted post[/post]​

do you know where the third sensor is on an obd 2 engine??

Originally posted by DelSlo+Feb 5 2005, 08:33 PM-->
@Feb 1 2005, 10:56 AM
[post=454450]Quoted post[/post]​

[post=456944]Quoted post[/post]​

same as OBD1

[post=456944]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]
same as OBD1
[post=457314]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

thanx man! :)

Originally posted by Floydy@Feb 1 2005, 12:41 PM
[post=454516]Quoted post[/post]​

didnt jlicrx just say the one for the ecu is at the end of the head, and the cooling fan one is one hte back of the t stat houseing, so that wont get your v tech working, youd have to wire in the sensor that is next to the temp guage one (two wire connector) to get the signal to the ecu... am i right... just dont want the fella to go wire all that and realized he wired the wrong sensor to fix his v tec

Back