Wiring Experts needed.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jeef

NO MA'AM
VIP
As some of you know I recently did a z6 swap into my 89 crx si. After the swap was done I noticed that once in a great while the main relay would click and I would have a brief loss of power. This could have been happening before the swap sicne once in a while I would have a loss of power but thought it was engine related and I always had the radio on so I couldnt hear the relay click. 2 days later my starter fell out since I forgot to tighten the bolts down. The relay was really clicking very quickly when I tried to start the car. I only let it go a few cranks since I heard a weird sound from the starter. I put the starter back in (I didnt disconnect the battery and my extension fell and the hot lead from the starter grounded out onto the chassis), get in the car and the car starts for 2 seconds and dies. The relay was clicking, and the check engine light was on but dim. I also noticed that ecu light was one, just a solid light. The car will crank over, but will not start. Everything will act up if the key is put in the acc position and does it when I crank over the engine.
I have tried everything I can think of I replaced the main relay with a new one, tried a different ecu, inspected wires for breaks, redid any wiring changes I made, changed the distributor, disconnected the starter to see if it would still act up, cleaned all battery terminals and engine grounds, and checked every fuse.
What should I look for? Anyone have any ideas on where to go with this? What other electrical parts other the ecu, main relay, and starter relay could go bad? Could it be my ignition switch?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, and you could help keep someone in the Honda community instead of buying anther domestic if I can't fix this.

From your story I am not to confident in your workmenship but, I suspect you checked the main fuse in the engine bay fuse box right? I know shorting out the batt can usualy over load this fusable link. It is about a 5 dollar fuse. It is one of the big yellow ones. Also check and see what you ecu code might be if it just stays on you probaly fried the computer. Make sure all of your wire connections are sodiered and shrink tubed. No crunch connectors. They will fuck you every time. Go over your gounds every one make sure the thermastat ground it good sometime you might for get to tighten the bolt. Make sure you battery to chassis ground it good take it off sand down where it connects and reconnect it. Do this with all grounds. A new main relay would be a good idea especialy if you have not replaced it recently it will evenutaly go on you. It sounds like you got a ground problem or a blown fusuable link. Also did you get an alternator light make sure it didn't freeze up on you the alternator that is. Good luck

Make sure your battery is still good you may have fried a cell in it. Have it tested at sears so they can put it under a load. Or use a voltmeter and turn evey thing on radio, high beams, rear defroster, and see how quickly the voltage drops any lower then 9.6 and it junk.

Originally posted by Jeef@Jun 13 2004, 09:48 PM
I have tried everything I can think of I replaced the main relay with a new one, tried a different ecu, inspected wires for breaks, redid any wiring changes I made, changed the distributor, disconnected the starter to see if it would still act up, cleaned all battery terminals and engine grounds, and checked every fuse.

Not to be a dick but everything you said I already checked. Don't talk shit about someones workmanship. Forgetting one thing in a swap that took a few days isn't that bad. Everything else was throughly checked. My wiring changes were done right, no butt connectors.
I will check the altemator light but I doubt its it since you can start an engine with a blown alt. The battery seemed to have a full charge and my amp worked perfect last time I drove it with no problems.

The last engine was hydrolocked and the engine compartment was full of water. I am wondering if something got fucked up somewhere. Every ground has been checked and cleaned. All the fuses are fine in the fuse block, but could the fuse box itself go bad? Would a problem battery cause the main relay to click? I wouldn't think it would.

I have spark and no fuel. I am thinking that a wire might have broken between the ecu and the main relay. I am going to break out the volt meter. Does anyone know how I would check this with the volt meter?

do you have fuel pressure to the rail? (disconnect fuel return + try to start it - should see fuel go everywhere)

No I don't. I am thinking about checking the fuel pump and the wires between the ecu and main relay. I am thinking it might be between the relay and the ecu since both are acting weird.

Update. I found that the yellow/ white wire that connects to the main relay was causing my voltmeter to go backwards with the continutity. I have since tried to look into the wire. I cut the wire from harness, to try to jump it with another wire. The problem is that I do not know where it leads to. http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/CRXManual/62SH200/6-12.pdf at the top of the second page you can follow the wire it goes to a fuse then after the fuse symbol is a symbol that I think stands for ground. It looks like the wire does run into the white/green wire at b1 on the ecu. Am I correct in saying that?
How can I jum this wire to run new wires from the ecu to this? I noticed that when I cut the wire that the main relay does not click anymore. When I ground this wire out the ecu light does not flash. ]
Help!!!! Any guys in CT who are good with wiring I will pay cash if you can get this going.

Back