Wiring / Harness Issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16hatchej6

As stated in the title i am having some issues with the wiring in my swap.... As it sits now i have a B16a2 installed in my 97 CX hatch... I am running a 99-00 SI harness to a P2T ecu.... I have a EX cluster installed but am having numerous problems getting it to work correctly (the speedometer on the CX cluster was not working either). The Speedometer snd Tachometer are not reading anything... and VTEC is not engaging. Now i assume the VTEC is not engaging because of the speedometer problem.... the VTEC solenoid is good.. but i cannot confirm the condition of the VSS. various friends have offered advice but no solutions so i am seeking help from another source if u would rather email me send email to tommyboy_smu@yahoo.com.

Test the VSS, or substitute for a known good one. And you are correct, vtec will not engage if there is no vehicle speed detected.

we tried replacing the VSS still nothing.... heres something i left out of my original post... sorry... my CEL is on but im am unable to pull any codes.... i might just be doing this wrong but i am pretty sure that i am doing it right.... i tried reseting the ECU still nothing.... thanks for the reply... somenbody suggested that i use a stock CX harness and run the addiitional wires needed for the systems that werent on the CX platform.... is this a valid idea ? one more thing i believe the issue to be the fact that i am running a 99-00 harness to a 96-98 body harness... there are the wires on the stock body harness that appeasr to go nowhere on the engine hanress could this be the source of my problems?.... any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated if u dont wish to post once again feel free to email me ayt tommyboy_smu@yahoo.com

Yes, there's wiring differences that are probably your gremlins. Using the CX harness and adding the wires is the easier way. Look in the articles section, there's one about adding wires.

an updates regarding the CEl... today we did everything by the book and were not able to get it to flash at all... the only thing that we can come up with is that the ECU itself is no good.... thanks for the help.

i've been told by a honda tech that you can't simply jump the p2t like you could with the older ecu's to get powertrain codes, just body/chasis codes. Have someone read it with a scantool.

Oh, I forgot, It's a helluva lot easier to use a cx/dx harness and add wires than to swap to an ex/si harness. the only changes that have to be made are in the engine compartment harness.

After a long weekend of working on the car i was finally abale to make some progress... replcaed the wire coming off the dizzy for the tach it now works fine... after troubleshooting the speedo problem i came up woith a solution after testing the VSS wires we determined that the ecu was recieving the proper information from the VSS just not sending it to the cluster.... but alas it cant be just this easy re placed the wire.... and walah speedo reads and the glorious sound of VTEC fills my ears once again.... but (always a but) driving home from the shop..... the speddo starts tripping out... jumping around then finally stops reading all together... no more speedo= no more vtec... when i get to the apartment i pop the hood unplug the VSS check the wires... not very fun in the rain might I add.. reconnect the VSS everything was ok. I hop back in get on 45 sweet it works again... before i can get back home it trips out again.... I'm so close to finishing but need one last bit of help guys... thanks for all the posts/help...

Back