Wiring Nightmare

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Zerosk8r455

OK..i just bought a b16a bare bottom end off a friend. I plan on getting all the internals and all wiring myself. I have '97 Civic DX...OBD2. This b16a is a slightly older motor..i think, therefore is not obd2. I don't even know what car or what year car this came from. I had planned on getting a b16a2 cuz i know those are obd2. But those plans all went to hell and i bought this b16a instead. Does it matter though? Because all i have is the bottom end...can i still use the obd2 wiring harness with this older b16a block? What would i need to buy for this motor to properly install and not have any wiring problems? What harness would i use? Do i need to do some type of OBD conversion? I have no idea. Plz help. All suggestions are appreciated. Thank you very much.

The biggest sumbling block that you're going to have it your CYP sensor... The Cylinder Position Sensor, rather.. Since the block is supposedly an OBDI block then the CYP sensor isn't in the block like what your ECU would be expecting, so you are going to be FORCED to get an adapter harness to convert to OBDI, it's NOT difficult. Just costly unless you fabricate it yourself. I would highly recommend you convert to OBDI and use an OBDI head and distributor. Some of the wiring is only a little different, if you have a Helms manual you should be able to figure it out. I would also recommend studying a good deal before even opening your hood.

You can use your stock harness, you're only going to have to change maybe.... 1 plug or so and add one more. again, not rocket science...

Hope that gives you some insight.

Just sell it and get a complete OBD2 swap. It will save you money in the long run. all those little parts you need are going to add up.

I thought about selling it and buying a diff obd2 block...but finding this was already hard as it is, trying to find another bare block would be really hard. And i don't want to pay for a complete motor since i am getting all aftermarket internals...it'd be a waste of $ and time (trying to sell stock internals). I had been told that since it is just the bottom end, it wouldn't matter that it was an older obd version. Oh well. Well, know any places where i can find a bare b16a2 bottom end? Would it be worth it to pay a lil' bit more and try to find a bare H22 or GSR block? I have plans on boosting in the near future. Motor would be fully built/resleeved. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

OK go add up all the parts you need to get right now to do a swap. ALL the parts, every gasket, nut and bolt. Then compare the cost to a complete OBD2 Swap + adding aftermarket parts. Right now you have to buy all the aftermarket stuff and OEM stuff to do a swap. If you just get the OBD2 swap you can put it in and upgrade later.

If you want to keep it, just add the CYP sensor or convert to OBD1. Make sure you add the cost in your comparison.

Back