Wiring (Ugh!)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thr33niL

Finally have my b18c sitting in my 95 civic. First would like to say that this site has been a huge help.

To the point. I have been pouring over the posts in the article section. This one actually persuaded me to do this specific swap. Now that I am knee deep in it, I have a few questions.

If you get the wiring harness with the '99 GS-R swap all you need to do is drop it in, plug the engine harness in, and add wires for the VTEC solenoid, knock sensor, and VTEC pressure switch.

The knock sensor I am in the process of running but why the Vtec solenoid and pressure switch? The car already has wires coming from A4 and D6. The knock sensor was an easy one because it was missing but the article says to wire sensors that are already wired?

Also was curious if anyone has seen a layout of what and where the sensors are located? Maybe some sort of diagram? Chiltons is usless..

The reason it says add them, is because some cars don't have them. Just check the canon plugs, and make sure that everything is kosher, and that they are where they are supposed to be.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 23 2005, 04:26 AM
The reason it says add them, is because some cars don't have them. Just check the canon plugs, and make sure that everything is kosher, and that they are where they are supposed to be.
[post=502454]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah I checked the cannon plugs and the only wire that was missing was the knock sensor.. other than that, they were full.

one more thing is on the B18 I have an extra 3 pin plug on the passenger side pigtail. Still trying to figure out what this is.. I will take some pictures today for a lil visual reference.

Now I had my OBD1 ecu professionally customised for IAB. But I just wanted to make sure... IAB should now be A20. A17 has no wire on the ecu plug. Now is that supposed to be the EVAP purge sensor? Also I now have a red wire coming out of the plate of the ecu (by itself).. Is that the wire from the IAB that needs the 12volt switch or is it supposed to be off the sensor itself?

OK so in theory :unsure: ... If the IAB is already switched to A20 and the VTEC pressure switch and solenoid are already wired stock, all I really need to do is run the knock sensor and give the IAB a 12 volt switch and it should be good to go? I know something will go wrong but I just want to get close.. hehe

That should be good. I believe there is an extra plug at the canons after all is said and done on the GSR harness. Anything else pops up, post it.

Well left the camera at the house so I will get some pictures up tomorrow to squash any remaining doubt I have.

Thanks 92b16vx, you have been a huge help! You're wiring walkthrough article was great. Except the ECU plug pins are not so easy to get out. ;) Ended up sticking myself in the finger and drawing blood with the lil screw driver :( OUCH!

Kinda unsure about the wire sticking out of the hacked ECU. Its just a red wire coming out the plate. I emailed the guy who did it for me but he hasnt got back to me yet. Common sense would say that is the 12volt switch for the IAB but dont want to leave anything to chance.

Anywho.. will get some pictures up soon and when my power steering bracket comes in (lost), I should be able to fire her up.

Finally think I have my wiring set up figured.

I got ahold of the guy who sold me the ECU and he set me straight. BTW, this is what I got.

Lee was a huge help and recommend buying from the guy. Anyway, the red wire he has sticking out the plate is the ground for the IAB Solenoid. So just run the IAB original ground to a 12v IGN and the original pos+ back the ECU and thats it. No need to change the A20 and A17 pins.

Now since I have already run the Knock Sensor and will be doing the IAB shortly, I should be done with the wiring, correct? The car is a 95 EX and already has the VTEC Solenoid and Pressure Switch wired in. That is unless there is something I need to change concerning the VTEC wires that I am unaware of (hope not).

So as soon as my brackets (power steering & a/c) arrive, I can fire it up. I am getting a little excited here. :D

I am now as we speak looking for a DOHC Del Sol radiator so hopefully I can run about a week on the stock Civic itty-bitty one. I will definatley be taking it easy on the car until then.

that rad is perfectly fine. i got mine out of a sohc sol. same as civic. had it in since sept. and no probs. dont spend the $ if you donbt have to.

keep the stock rad until it becomes a problem. i have a stock rad in my gsr civic.... no problmes at all.

ohh, and you paid way too much for that ecu :p

ohh, and you paid way too much for that ecu :p

I know. :D

I was in a position where I needed an swap ready ECU quickly since I was losing my clutch in my D16 and wanted the project done before Memorial Day weekend. It was a last minute thing and a guy usually pays more for not being prepared. Besides the guy I bought it from has been extremely helpful so I dont mind overpaying a bit.

Well turns out my A/C AND PS bracket didnt show today. Guess thats what I get for paying all the extra money for overnight shipping... I dont even get the stinkin parts "overnight". :angry:

Now it looks like getting it on the road before the weekend is a more realistic ETA. I was hoping to turn it over today.. not happenen.

Originally posted by thr33niL@May 25 2005, 08:15 PM
ohh, and you paid way too much for that ecu  :p

I know. :D

I was in a position where I needed an swap ready ECU quickly since I was losing my clutch in my D16 and wanted the project done before Memorial Day weekend. It was a last minute thing and a guy usually pays more for not being prepared. Besides the guy I bought it from has been extremely helpful so I dont mind overpaying a bit.

Well turns out my A/C AND PS bracket didnt show today. Guess thats what I get for paying all the extra money for overnight shipping... I dont even get the stinkin parts "overnight". :angry:

Now it looks like getting it on the road before the weekend is a more realistic ETA. I was hoping to turn it over today.. not happenen.
[post=503611]Quoted post[/post]​

in furtherance of that statement, Im unsure as to what to do in regards to the power steering, ac and Alternator for b18c1 into an eg chassis. Do you need special brackets to buy that will allow you to keep the civic d series aprts and bolt them to the b18c block?

Am I going about this the right way?

1. Get your own thread

2. You use the B-series alternator. Why wouldn't you?
3. Use the B-series power steering pump
4. Buy a CRV a/c bracket and use your d-series compressor

Originally posted by civicious@Jun 1 2005, 10:47 AM
1. Get your own thread

[post=506163]Quoted post[/post]​

I can attest to this. Got the CRV A/C bracket and it worked like charm!

Originally posted by thr33niL@Jun 2 2005, 04:13 PM

Damn, only if I knew of this earlier. Would of still have AC.... :(

Originally posted by thr33niL+Jun 2 2005, 10:13 PM-->
civicious
@Jun 1 2005, 10:47 AM
1. Get your own thread

[post=506163]Quoted post[/post]​

[post=506934]Quoted post[/post]​

Post the exact part number here if you can, or PM it to me, it would be nice for reference since it is cheaper from Honda than the DelSol one.

I will see if I can find the box/packing slip but Im not sure what I did with it.

THATS AWESOME, didn't know you could use a crv braket for the d series ac, super sweetness.

Back