wisdom teeth - diet

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well i go friday at 9am. :(

i'm skerred. wish me luck

eh youll be fine
its not that big of a deal... pretty much everyone you know has had it done already and theyre all fine

whats the worst that could happen??? ;)

well... just for the shits and giggles of it lets go over a few of the things that could happen :ph34r:

1. Sinus Complications
The upper wisdom teeth roots are very close to the maxillary sinus and some people even have roots that go into the sinus. An opening into the sinus after the removal of wisdom teeth occurs once in a while. If this occurs it is likely that bacteria can prevent healing and get into the sinus. This infection does not respond well to antibiotics and often requires additional surgery to drain the sinus. A material called gelfoam is typically placed in the extraction site to promote clotting and serve as a framework for granulation tissue to accumulate. If this does occur patients are often given antibiotics, decongestants, should avoid certain activities, and should see an Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) Doctor.
It is also possible that a fragment of the tooth can end up in the maxillary sinus. Irrigation with saline may allow the tooth fragment to be brought back to the site of the opening through which it entered the sinus, and may be retrievable. At other times a procedure called a caldwell luc must be performed.

2. Numbness/ Nerve Damage
Nerves in your mouth may be damaged during surgery to remove your lower wisdom teeth. Your lower lip, chin or tongue may feel tingly or numb. This happens to between 1 and 8 out of 100 people. For 1 in 100 people, the numbness is permanent, where as others regain feeling after 3 months. The lingual nerve may be permanently damaged in up to 1 in 100 people which is the nerve that helps you sense pain and temperature in your mouth. Dentists and surgeons often use an instrument called a lingual nerve retractor to move the nerve out of the way. But this can actually increase the risk of damage. The inferior alveolar nerve can also be damaged. This nerve supplies sensation to the lower teeth on the right or left half of the dental arch and the sense of touch to the right or left half of the chin and lower lip.

3. Dry Socket (Alveolar Osteitis)
Between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people get a throbbing pain after their operation, which is when a blood clot does not form properly in the socket. In some cases, this happens because the patient has disregarded the instructions given by the surgeon. Smoking, spitting or drinking with a straw in disregard to the surgeon's instructions can cause this, along with other activities that change the pressure inside of the mouth, such as playing a musical instrument. The extraction site will become irritated and pain is due to the bone lining the tooth socket becoming inflamed. The symptoms are made worse when food debris trap in the tooth socket. Dry sockets can heal in a couple of weeks without treatment. Dry socket is not an infection and is inflammation within the bony lining of an empty tooth socket. A dry socket presents as a sharp and sudden increase in pain which usually starts around 2 to 5 days after wisdom teeth removal.

4. Jaw Fracture
In very rare cases, the removal of a wisdom tooth will weaken the jaw bone. This is due to the obligatory removal of bone to obtain access to the impacted tooth. It is very rare of the jaw to fracture after the removal of a wisdom tooth due to weakening and chewing normal foods.

5. Infection
Infection following the surgical removal of wisdom teeth happens to about 1 or 2 out of 100 people. Signs of infection include fever above 100 degrees, abnormal swelling, pain or a salty or prolonged bad taste, with or without evidence of discharge from the surgical site.

6. Injury to Teeth
Damage to fillings and adjacent teeth, to bridgework or to surrounding bone can occur during the removal of impacted wisdom teeth. Even the best surgeon will occasionally have this type of complication. This is rare and happens to less than 1 in 100 people.

7. Root Fragments
This happens to about 5 in 100 people. You might need to have the fragment removed if it causes problems. Usually the fragment is close to a nerve or adjacent sinus. Removal of the root tip could jeopardize adjacent structures. The oral surgeon uses his clinical expertise to determine the benefit to risk ratio of removing a root tip. The fragments can be monitored using x-rays.

8. TMJ pain
TMJ dysfunction following the removal of wisdom teeth is unusual and usually temporary. If treatment is required, it is usually conservative in nature and includes anti-inflammatory medicines, physical therapy and in some cases short term bite splint therapy.

9. Bleeding
Everyone bleeds after surgery, but it should stop by the time you go home. Less than 1 in 100 people have bleeding that is difficult to stop. Small amounts of blood within the first 48 hours after extraction is normal.

10. Air Embolism/ Subcutaneous Emphysema
A gas related embolus can be caused by inadvertent injection of a mixture of air and water under pressure which then passes into the mandible (jaw) to the veins and then to the large vessels leading to the heart. Large amounts of air can cause serious problems including cardiac arrest and death, by traveling to the large veins leading to the heart, and mechanically blocking the flow of blood through the heart. Microbubbles, not detectable by conventional imaging techniques may provoke an inflammatory response and cause tissue damage. Doppler ultrasound may aid in detection and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for treatment.

11. Chronic Headache
Your head can pound 24/7 and cause you severe pain every day.

12. Trigeminal Nerve Damage
Trigeminal neuralgia can develop if there is injury to the trigeminal nerve. This causes episodes of intense pain in the eyes, lips, nose, scalp, forehead, and jaw. Trigeminal neuralgia is considered by many to be among the most painful of conditions and once was labeled the suicide disease because of the significant numbers of people taking their own lives before effective treatments were discovered.

13. Hematoma
A hematoma is a pooling blood in tissues that can happen when a needle moves through blood vessels.

14. Anaphylaxis
A loss of vascular tone indicated by a precipitous fall in blood pressure caused by contact with an allergen (due to anesthesia or another chemical given) can result in bilateral facial manifestations with possible cardiorespiratory symptoms.

15. Angiodema
A massive escape of fluid into the tissue from blood vessels causing large edematous swellings usually appears in the maxilla as a reddened area with well circumscribed rings and a burning sensation.

16. Vertigo/Dizziness
I have found no literature to support this; however, multiple patients have described strange feelings inside the head along with dizziness and vertigo. One such patient complained of these symptoms continuing to persist 12 years after the extractions.

17. Myoclonus
There is some literature suggesting perhiperal nerve damage causes myoclonus and body pounding symptoms/ palpitations.

18. Brain Damage
Anesthetics have been linked both mechanistically and phenomenologically to brain damage in non humans. No human studies have verified this. A few people have noticed cognitive impairment after recieving anesthesia.

19. Death
Multiple people have died as a direct result of having their wisdom teeth removed.

20. Lemierre's Syndrome
This very rare disease is known to affect young and healthy adults.

but seriously its a pretty damn safe and common procedure (wouldnt even really call it a surgery)
sack up and dont be a bitch... youll be fine :D

by the way are you going to need a ride???
i drove myself to and from mine and dont really recommend it

dad is coming to get me, i'm set.

i love how death is only 19. appearently lemierre's syndrome is worse than death. lol

My first day i woke up to take percs and correct the placement of my frozen peas.

Second day I had carnation instant breakfast (you could make it with water if need be).

Mostly protein shakes, carnation instant breakfast, and mac and cheese until I gave up and attacked solid food.

you're not supposed to have dairy with the pain killers.... cuz they react and make you puke.

the instant breakfast shit i got has evaporated milk in it, so i screwed the pooch on that one.

it's looking like applesauce, popsicles, chicken broth, and gatorade for day 1 for me

Had this done this morning.

i'm in recovery mode now. not too much bleeding, not too much swelling.
i was able to eat some apple sauce and a hot dog chopped up real tiny (no bun or anything)

I got perkocets and penecillin for antibiotics. 28 pills! and i have to take them all. damn.

my bottom jaw hurts more than anything. it's throbbing with my heart beat.

and, my mouth tastes like bad choices

lol

off to ice my face again and wait till 5pm to take another round of perks and penicillin.

why penicillan? that doesn't make sense. you shouldn't be prone to infections.

and for pain, you shouldn't need anything more than vicodin the first day and tylenol after that.

Open wound in the mouf where he eats his foods shouldn't be prone to infection?

:concur:

they just gave me a truck load of Percocet (this was 14 years ago before the prescription drug abuse thing really took off... they use to hand out pain killers by the bucket)... i took 3 of them... lol

:concur:

they just gave me a truck load of Percocet (this was 14 years ago before the prescription drug abuse thing really took off... they use to hand out pain killers by the bucket)... i took 3 of them... lol

i know they give out penicillan for std's. i'm allergic to it, so when i was 16, the doc said, better wrap your shit. lol

I didn't get any antibiotics.

I also only got 4 Tylenol 3's (military hospital), but when I was in the the ER with a 107.3F fever and hallucinations, after I was normal again I had a sore throat, they gave me 20 percocet.

Sore throat is my biggest complaint right now. my jaw is certainly sore, but it's tolerable.

I'm planning to take the perc's for at least the weekend. Would suck to stop taking them and realize that they've been working this whole time and now i'm in uber pain.

Sore throat is my biggest complaint right now. my jaw is certainly sore, but it's tolerable.

I'm planning to take the perc's for at least the weekend. Would suck to stop taking them and realize that they've been working this whole time and now i'm in uber pain.

you're supposed to relax the jaw, and open your throat. :ph34r::D
just go slower, you'll get the hang of it.

lmao, take it easy, and relax for a couple of days. lounge on the couch popping pills and makeing E take care of your drugged ass. lol.

yeah, i'm doing ok today.... but its probably mostly the drugs.

throat was hurting pretty bad yesterday, but better today. now i'm just loopy from the perks'.

Back