With all the dumb aftermarket support Honda's have

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hosmer

I made the millionth post
VIP
So I popped my timing belt in the hatch last night..whatever, I work at a junkyard and I already threw another D15 in the car (my "good" motor won't be ready til spring) and it got me thinking...

Why the hell hasn't anyone developed a gear drive for Honda's?
I saw an Accord a few years ago that someone had custom built one for, but as far as I can find, no one actually makes any kits.

I mean whoever did it would make millions just based on the fact that they wine like a supercharger...

The flex losses in the metals would make them wear in in such a way, that the high-reving motor that Honda designed wouldn't be precise enough to run at those high rpms.

I'm sure that there have been developments in metallurgy now that will allow such a device, but the costs are still prohibitive for OEM use.

I think it's high time for a hydraulic "belt" drive cartridge - That not only covers cams, but accessory drives as well.

ya bolt one up easy to do it would cost less than 250 bucks. just some simple math, go to the spped shop and away you go

chain drive & gear drive are 2 different things...

Chain drive is like a belt drive... it has tension... but has give as well...

On v8's, you can replace the timing chain set with a gear drive.. Thus giving a more direct drive, less parasitic loss, and a whine that makes it sound kinda like its supercharged... :)

Timing Chain:
timing_chain.jpg

Gear Drive:
geardrv.jpg

okay and the point being you can find 100's of diffrent gears from diffrent sets and make it work the only hard part would be the mounting brakets and even those could be tackled

F20s are timing chained ?! Holy shit.

Well, I'll tell ya what Hosmer: Get to your CAD station and make a set for the B series.

Do that = be a millionaire.

Quoted post[/post]]
whats the advantage of a chain over a belt?

durability.

chains last longer than belts (obviously).

They also make more noise and aren't as precise in high-stress environments. However, since the F20c and F22c are chain-timed, honda has obviously eliminated that problem.

Now a days, nothing. But back when you guys were born (And I started working on cars (ugh)) the frictional losses in tight springs and cams would cause a belt to skip a tooth. Today however, that is solved and belts are reliable as hell now. It's followed the same progression as belt drives on motorcycles. I remember in 1987 the Harley softtail had belt drive again, which was odd for a bike with that power. But it held up all the time.

Timing chains were simply a more reliable, if not sophisticated, way to move the top end.

Timing gears were the race favorite since the 50s flat heads (Talk about a sinister looking motor). Timing gears have been commonplace for common racing Vs, but Hosmer has noticed that they aren't for our motors.

Honestly, I think it must have been tried, and then abandoned. IF it worked then you would see the honda 18,000 rpm F1 motors running it.

Obviously with overhead cams, theres a bit more room between the cams and the crank, but I still think it could be done and work properly.

I need a machine shop

you'd have to re-design a water pump while you're at it
you'd have to figure out a way to not bend the cam with too much tension, but enough so it doesn't slip.... and it would be pushing from the bottom isntead of pulling from the top. the cam stays aren't designed to be pushed up...
other than just building the gear sets... there's a lot of little things that are stupid importand to R&D

Obviously with overhead cams, theres a bit more room between the cams and the crank, but I still think it could be done and work properly.

:werd:

you would need like 8 gears between crank and cams...

gear drive on imports = geigh...

it would be ricers wanting the supercharger sound...
kinda like the turbo sound exhaust shit...

it would be me, not wanting to break another timing belt

ever popped one on a GSR motor......not a great feeling

if you;re that worried then change it every 40K

timing belt should do an easy 80K

i would think they would have a timing chain before they made gears...

I change my belt and water pump every spring...

I've still had 2 break on me

My step mother popped her belt on the 4G63. That was an ugly, ugly sound.

I've never actually snapped a timing belt / chain. I have slipped teeth more times than once, but never a complete break.

And my bolt came out of my water pump housing during an autocross, shot up through the belt and into the timing cover - I put another 30k on the timing belt with a gash in the middle of it.

This one was just some aftermarket belt...I didn't change it when I bought the car (2 months ago) because its still just the crappy D15 and I was hopeing it'd just make it through the winter..

but I had one on my GSR motor in my old CRX and that was a genuine Honda belt I bought at the dealer...it was only 6 months old

that was a sad, sad day for me...

Back