1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

with the head off...

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Periculum, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

Im still in the process of rebuilding my 91 HF and was wondering if I should go ahead and replace the water pump while the head is off. I dont know if it is bad or not, or how long it has been since it was changed last. It appears to have the same wear as the rest of the timing side (180k mi)

I was also wondering if headers had any effect on gas mileage. up, down, nothing at all? And if it helps the mileage any, what should I look at for headers?

thx

2. TWISTEDIMAGE

TWISTEDIMAGE Senior Member

if you have it apart replace it

3. wanderinman

wanderinman Senior Member

I didn't notice any kind of mileage change with my headers. They are an after the fact kind of thing, and the power gains are minimal. Only way I can think they'd affect your mileage is if you like the new sound and lay into a lot more :shrug:

4. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Yes, a header will increase the effeciency of your motor, and, therefore, increase mileage. And a header is one of the best bolt-ons you can get.

5. evoracer03

evoracer03 Senior Member

:werd: headers are definitely a plus on the power side, just make sure youre not backing them up with the stock exhaust system. anything you can do to make your engine breathe more with less work transfers into both performance and efficiency gains. just stay with a 4-2-1 design, as the hf can use all the low to mid range gains it can get. dc and megan racing are probably two of the most popular brands i sell at the shop.

6. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

Unlike most here, my rex is just for the gas mileage (deliver pizzas) So power isnt a real issue to me, just the mileage. I was hoping to eke out another one or two MPG to save some money, filling up every two days, every i mile will add up fast.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted