Wonderful Budget CPU System

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

Hey guys Im helping my girlfriend's family build a computer. They dont game a whole lot, maybe the Sims or something. However, the son is getting into some Doom3 and Halo. But mostly, they use it for browsing, burning, and word processing. I want a system that would last for them. They have a Compaq with a P3 that is like 5 years old. I want this system to last them another 5 years. Im trying real hard to keep it under $600. Here is my setup. Tell me what you think:

AMD 64 3000+ 939 : $151
DFI 939 Ultra : $157
Seagate Baraccuda 120GB IDE = $70
E Power Tagan 450 Watta PSU = $55
Leadtek 6200 Turbo Cache 256mb Version = $77
Corsair 512 MB Value RAM = $75
Codhegen Case: $40

Comes out to be around $620, shipped. The optical drives, monitor, and speaker will come from there old system. Do you guys think this is overclockable to at least 2.2-2.3ghz with the value ram and psu? Ive seen people get up to 2.6ghz with the same motherboard and processor.
I ruled out socket 754 because it wont be upgradable later on. No dual channel, not that it matters, expensive AGP cards unless used, and i havent seen overclocked 3000+ Newcastles.
Please tell me what you think and suggest. THANKS A WHOLE LOT!.

Look around... I laid out a complete build for a guy a month or so ago that would run about $450 shipped, and that included the little things you don't think about- fans, cables, optical drives etc. Depending on how long it will be before you decide to upgrade, I wouldn't worry too much about the board/chip socket type. Chip manufacturers are running through form factors like crazy these days, and even if they're still using an older type of socket- you'd probably want to upgrade the board the next time around too to use a higher bus speed, better type of memory etc.

On your list, I would recommend a lesser chip and board, then more RAM- it would be much better balanced, and you can still get some pretty good overclocks out of the newer Athlon XP chips.

2x Xeon 1.6ghz's - $100 ebay (you can buy they by the pair)
aftermarket coolers for the Xeons - $50
Asus PC-DL Mobo - $210 ebay
2x512 crucial ddr400 - $150 Crucial
Some AGP Graphics Card $60-100
160gb HD - $80 best buy sale
Now, for the magic part.....

You overclock the 1.6's to 3.2ghz a peace, and turn on hyperthreading, and you have 4x3.2ghz processors. Don't worry about the OC..these things have been stable @ up to 3.8ghz and there are many people running them at 3-3.2 for exteneded amounts of time. Check out more:

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61271

if its a family PC, why not just buy a dell?

Intel p4 2.8 Ghz 800mhz FSB
512mb RAM
80gb HD
128mb vid card
17" LCD Monitor
XP Home

$479 shipped. Can't beat that with a stick...

Mm.. Is that deal still offered?

Anyway, anyone heard of moding an ATI 9800Se to a Pro?

Originally posted by ktanaka@Feb 20 2005, 02:29 PM
I would go for the dualie...but then again, I will NEVER own a single processor machine ever again :ph34r:
[post=463492]Quoted post[/post]​

Dual/quad systems rock. Make sure your OS can handle SMP well though ;)

I floored a 16 processor SGI Origin 2K once. Oooohhhh the power. :worthy:

Back