WONDERING? B16A OR B18A1???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91jdmteg

I have a 1991 integra RS with a stock B18A1. I know the XSI came out with the B16A. What would be better leaving the B18A1 or swapping it for the B16A?? I just want something thats going to pull nice & put up alittle bit of a race if needed. I'm just wanting to do bolt-on's on whichever motor I go with, Such as header, intake, cam gears, etc. nothing internal maybe eventually but not right now, Also what would be a good website to get some prices on a JDM B16A swap? Thanks in advance. :worthy: If anyone has any other suggestions on a swap I'm open to all options. :D

B16A, no question. Unless you want to buy a replacement LS for daily driving while you pull apart your current LS block, buy a B16A head and tranny, and build a nice LS/VTEC setup.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Sep 11 2005, 03:00 PM
B16A, no question. Unless you want to buy a replacement LS for daily driving while you pull apart your current LS block, buy a B16A head and tranny, and build a nice LS/VTEC setup.
[post=552686]Quoted post[/post]​

B16a does anyone know of any good sites where I could find some at a reasonable price? Also with my car being a 91 it's obd0, But the xsi b16's I've found are obd1. I also found 88-91 civic/crx b16a's that are obd0 will those work the same??? :unsure:

i wouldn't put a stright b16 in your integra. while it will increase your top end, it will hurt your low end torque that the b16 is lacking. which will really hurt your city driving.

as already mentioned, you can get a b16 swap and swap the head and tranny onto your ls block to make an ls/vtec with great gearing.

or turbo, which was already mentioned as well... but as you said, is not within your budget.

i vote ls/vtec. a lot of people pump it up to be really hard to do and unreliable, but it's really a simple conversion.

you can get a obd0 swap from a 88-91 civic/crx si-r. that would be the correct engine to buy... although it will most likely not be legal.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Sep 11 2005, 05:15 PM
i wouldn't put a stright b16 in your integra. while it will increase your top end, it will hurt your low end torque that the b16 is lacking. which will really hurt your city driving.

as already mentioned, you can get a b16 swap and swap the head and tranny onto your ls block to make an ls/vtec with great gearing.

or turbo, which was already mentioned as well... but as you said, is not within your budget.

i vote ls/vtec. a lot of people pump it up to be really hard to do and unreliable, but it's really a simple conversion.

you can get a obd0 swap from a 88-91 civic/crx si-r. that would be the correct engine to buy... although it will most likely not be legal.
[post=552733]Quoted post[/post]​

legal??? You mean with emissions and stuff? I'd rather just do a simple drop-in swap and basic bolt-ons. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ON SWAPS THAT HAVEN'T BEEN MENTIONED? :unsure:

you could turbo the ls for under 1500 and make much much more power than the b16. I used to own a 92 teg , pretty much all stock, and now i own a 90 civic hatch with a b16, and the b16 doesnt have enough torque for the hatch(for me anyway), so theres no way in hell it would feel good in a much heavier integra

just my opinion

i say go ls/vtec TURBO!! but i guess turbo's alot.. but come on ur gonna need that torque ;)... the b16's torque looks pretty wimpy.. and they usually go in lighter cars but its gonna go to a heavier car.. but i heard that ls/vtec is really inexpensive but ur gonna have to do it right to make sure its reliable..

speedracer... how could would you turbo an ls for just 1500?? diy turbo kit???

Thanks all this info is very helpful. Can anyone give me a rough estimate on doing a ls/vtec??? And what all is needed to be replaced in order to make this a 100% reliable daily driver?? Thanks again!

You might have a rough time doing the ls/vtec conversion for under 1500, but it's DOable.

** And one thing to consider, you will always spend more than you figured. So when you work the prices out, and have your budget set, allow for some leeway.

Here's a good write up on an LS/Vtec... It doesn't have the prices listed but you can see all the parts you don't have and price 'em out.

Click here

Originally posted by scottp11@Sep 12 2005, 07:21 PM
Here's a good write up on an LS/Vtec... It doesn't have the prices listed but you can see all the parts you don't have and price 'em out.

Click here
[post=553332]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks! :worthy: Also what is the best year for the head OBD wise? OBD1 I'm guessing???

Maybe 99-00 Si head? You'd just have to convert to OBD2. I think I heard that the 99-00 head was better some way, but I can't remember for sure.

For one:

2000 Honda Civic Si CPE MT 2612

1991 Acura Integra LS Coupe MT 2619

Seven pounds. Seeeeeveeen. Not a big difference. A DA with a B16 would be no more sluggish around town than a 99-00 Si.

I still say swap a B16A for simplicity's sake. It doesn't sound like this dude has the know-how to build his own LS/VTEC or piece together and tune his own turbo kit and $1500 sure as hell won't cut the cake to have somebody else do it, on either front.

The XSi B16A swap is a great candidate. Just make sure you get OBD 0. If you have average backyard mechanic skills and a Helm's manual (if you don't buy one each for the car and engine, def. worth the money) you can do it in a weekend. As long as you are prepared. Also, save up and set aside about 500-700 extra dollars in for a "just-in-case" fund. There's nothing more gay than getting your swap and finding out the dizzy doesn't work and the clutch is toasted.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Sep 12 2005, 07:58 PM
For one:

2000 Honda Civic Si CPE MT 2612

1991 Acura Integra LS Coupe MT 2619

Seven pounds. Seeeeeveeen. Not a big difference. A DA with a B16 would be no more sluggish around town than a 99-00 Si.

I still say swap a B16A for simplicity's sake. It doesn't sound like this dude has the know-how to build his own LS/VTEC or piece together and tune his own turbo kit and $1500 sure as hell won't cut the cake to have somebody else do it, on either front.

The XSi B16A swap is a great candidate. Just make sure you get OBD 0. If you have average backyard mechanic skills and a Helm's manual (if you don't buy one each for the car and engine, def. worth the money) you can do it in a weekend. As long as you are prepared. Also, save up and set aside about 500-700 extra dollars in for a "just-in-case" fund. There's nothing more gay than getting your swap and finding out the dizzy doesn't work and the clutch is toasted.
[post=553365]Quoted post[/post]​
I have NO idea about doing ls/vtec. But I have swapped afew motors and I'm alot more confident in doing that than ls/vtec. :D I've looked and the only XSI B16 swap I can find are 92-93 Could I get a OBD0 88-91 crx/civic b16a swap and be just as good? I don't have to worry about emissions & stuff here. We don't have to get our cars inspected.

PM Misty (StarBellieAngel) about it. I think her DA is OBD 0, but I could be wrong. But she did do the swap and got it to pass lame ass Cali emissions so i'm sure she could help you. If nothing else, go to hmotorsonline.com, call the phone number and ask what swap you need for an OBD 0 B16A into a DA Teg.

Back