won't start when slightly warm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

patricwsol

I have a 93 del sol si. i love it!! however, something odd has transpired. If I drive for 5-10 min, then turn it off, it doesn't start. It turns over, but won't start. I'll wait ten min- then no problem. It acts like it's flooded. Also, sometimes, after leaving it parked in the sun for 8 hours, same thing. It push-starts w/ no problem. Very weird. Is it a choke problem? Any ideas??

Sounds like the main relay problem once again. Honda's are notorious for having shitty main relays that get real sensitive to heat when they get older. When they heat up, the fuel pump connection can get loose, but once they cool down the solder connections rejoin and your car will run normally. Pull the relay out from under the dash and open it up. Check the soldering connections in the back, there should be one or two that could have cracks in them. Those connections control the fuel pump side of the relay, if they lose connection, your car won't start. The cheapest way to fix it is to re-solder those connections. I had the same problem as you, except it got so bad that my car died completely.

Originally posted by $k@m Art1$t@Aug 13 2004, 09:35 PM
Sounds like the main relay problem once again. Honda's are notorious for having shitty main relays that get real sensitive to heat when they get older. When they heat up, the fuel pump connection can get loose, but once they cool down the solder connections rejoin and your car will run normally. Pull the relay out from under the dash and open it up. Check the soldering connections in the back, there should be one or two that could have cracks in them. Those connections control the fuel pump side of the relay, if they lose connection, your car won't start. The cheapest way to fix it is to re-solder those connections. I had the same problem as you, except it got so bad that my car died completely.
[post=376673]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

Do what he said.

Next time it happens, unplug your ECT sensor, and try again. If it starts... then the sensor is sticking and it needs to be replaced (keep in mind, it will most likely put your car right into limp mode when disconnecting the sensor, but if the sensor is bad, it will help start the car and tell you if the sensor is bad) If it does not start, do some more diagnosis....

I wouldnt think it would be a fuel pump relay if it feels like its running rich (no pump, no fuel)

Back