wont start without pumping the gas pedal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bunson

Hey all,

Heres the deal, I've had the car checked out by myself (not all that reliable) by changing fuel filter, injectors, and flushing fuel rail. The car still wouldn't start without pumping the gas pedal. I had a mechanic that I trust go over the fuel system and he said that it was holding pressure and the fuel pump was still good (we thought it might be the check valve in the pump but it was fine). The engine isn't throwing any codes besides and SRS code but that doesnt have anything to do with it I don't think. I was wondering if anyone here has had this problem. One thing that I haven't checked is using a GSR fuel filter instead of the civics. I know they have a different design but I didn't think that it would matter since there would still be pressure one way or the other but I'm not sure thats why I'm asking. Any help would be appreciated!

Jeff

Examine your motors compression accross all 4 cylinders, you may need a head job (Valve lapping) to get compression to a normal point for combustion to occur upon start up.

Ok its been awhile but here is what I've done,

had entire fuel system checked or replaced (filter, injectors, pump) = pressure is fine

before installing engine had the head P&P'd along with the valves and seats cut
so I don't think its a compression issue

Here's the new info, it seems to start better when the engine is warm or its warm outside. For example I'll have to crank it over 4-5 times on a cool/cold morning as opposed to 2-3 on a warm afternoon.

It also jumps a little idleing after start up bouncing from around 1000 to 1500 when in nuetral...

Don't know if anyone is still reading this post but if you are and this sounds like a problem you know the solution to I'd appreciate it... :)

Did you adjust the idle screw?

Please tell me you aren't trying to use the civic throttle linkage either, although I thought it was too short maybe it's too long and if it is then there is your problem.

It really doesn't seem right that you have to crank it so many times, it's almost ruling out the idle screw. How was the flywheel teeth when you did the swap? Starter maybe?

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Sep 27 2004, 06:32 PM
Did you adjust the idle screw?

Please tell me you aren't trying to use the civic throttle linkage either, although I thought it was too short maybe it's too long and if it is then there is your problem.

It really doesn't seem right that you have to crank it so many times, it's almost ruling out the idle screw. How was the flywheel teeth when you did the swap? Starter maybe?
[post=395410]Quoted post[/post]​

I am using the civics throtle linkage but my friend that helped me with the swap made a bracket for it, it's pretty stable and all but how would I check if it its position is correct?

alright, try this out and get back to us...

before trying to start the car turn the key to on, let the fuel pump cycle, turn the key off, turn the kay back to on, let the pump cycle again, then turn it off, then turn it on, let it cycle one more time, then try to start it without pumping the gas...

what motor are you running in what car?

perhaps iac?

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Sep 29 2004, 01:12 PM
Get the correct throttle linkage too, its only like $20.
[post=396209]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey,

I tried the three prime start and it just did the same thing (took two times cranking to get it to start even after fuel lines were primed)

Is there any way to adjust the throttle cable?

If I were to get the correct throttle cable I can use any integra cable right? (yrs?)

Its a 95 B18C1 in a 94 civic dx

thanks

One more thing, it will try to start sometimes (try turn over on its own but then will sputter and die like it wasnt getting enough gas - I think you may be right about it being the cable)

Check the TPS adjustment and or that you don't have the MAP and TPS plugs switched as the are the same plug. Also check the engine harness ground.

Yea, I think you should get a 95 GSR cable, I think all th eGSR cables are the same but I'd get it as close to the year of the engine as possible.

Pissedoffsol or anyone else with a GSR swap should be able to tell you.

ok so I tightened my throttle cable, but to no avail, still takes at least two trys to get the car to start. Im not so sure its the throttle cable now...

if he had MAP and TPS plugs switched he would be throwing codes all over the place and the car would not be driveable LOL

HOWEVER if you have the IAT and EACV plugs swapped or the purge control solenoid plu mixed in there (they're all two pin) you could be having this problem

I had this problem when i swapped my GSR motor and it turned out to be a result of the IAT and EACV plugs being switched, on top of not having my MAP hooked up properly

just some food for thought

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Sep 30 2004, 10:01 PM
if he had MAP and TPS plugs switched he would be throwing codes all over the place and the car would not be driveable LOL

HOWEVER if you have the IAT and EACV plugs swapped or the purge control solenoid plu mixed in there (they're all two pin) you could be having this problem

I had this problem when i swapped my GSR motor and it turned out to be a result of the IAT and EACV plugs being switched, on top of not having my MAP hooked up properly

just some food for thought
[post=396941]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks I'll check that out.

checked the IAT sensor... It's correct, I'm having trouble finding the EACV in my helms though (Engine Air Control Valve?) Where is it located?

Ok let me know if this was pointless but I'm grasping at straws here... The engine won't start without pumping the pedal a bit when cold (will start with about 2-3 cranks when warm). When trying to start it cold without hitting the gas the cel light will come on after 6-7 times cranking but when turned off and back on again it will just do its original "starting flash" then go out. Anyway I was curious what the cel codes would be after the 6-7 cranks so I went out and got the cel to come on then checked the codes:

16 - don't think this is it because I have all new pump, injectors, filter etc... the only thing I don't have new is the pressure reg *would this code come on if it wasn't getting enough fuel?????

22 - I have no idea why this would have come on except that sometimes vtec wont kick in unless I'm going at almost full throttle *possible loose connection but has no bearing on the problem

41 - I don't think my O2 sensor would cause my car not to start would it?

*remember the cel goes off after restarting the car it doesnt stay on...

Anyway I'm just throwing this out to see if anyone has any comments, thanks

Back