Wont start!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

my civic wont start it has been alright before and has sat for about a week and wont even turn over could it be the main relay? i am trying to get rid of it but wont be too easy to do if it wont even turn over

edit: and NO its not the battery my stereo plays and everything

no it started fine last time i tried... let it run for about 20 minutes shut it off then came out today and nothing

check your clutch switch.... if you have a good battery and NOTHING happens when you try to start it... no starter or anything...... check the clutch switch if you have a manual and the neutral safety switch...
i had the same problem in my 90..... when i installed a good battery the brake lights came on WITHOUT the brake being pressed, but nothing happened when i tried to start it

there are rubber grommets in the brake and clutch pedal which actually depress the clutch and brake switches... the rubber grommit might have either fallen out or might just be worn out... reach up under the dash and find the clutch switch. then while pressing it and holding it down.... turn the key and see if anything happens.

if nothing happens still then you will need to check your starter relay as well as the main relay and main relay harness.

if you need the diagrams for the main relay harness, main relay, and starter relay, just ask... i have them handy.

jeremy

take a test light and check fuses the needed fuses, check the ecu and see if it's flashing any codes, check your clutch switch even, then start replacing the small cheap stuff and if still nothing work your way up

i havent looked into it a whole lot im thinking it is the clutch switch because it has been kind of hard to get that to work before its just too cold out ~4 degrees lol

i think ill look into it more tomorrow

and those diagrams would be pretty helpful if you wouldnt mind thanks

if its that cold... then just make sure you crank it and run it at least once a day (once you figure out the problem) with temps like that your battery will take a shit pretty much over night if you leave it sitting for extended periods.

just give me your email address and i can email the diagrams to you.... or i can post them on here... whichever is easier for you.

ill send you a pm with it

edit: nevermind you cant pm yet i think you either need 1 or 6 more posts lol

Last edited:
I'd charge the battery, check main relay...is the relay clicking? Check ur dizzy as well. After that, I'd check to make sure ur getting fuel...Or ur starter since u say u have a good battery, but won't crank.

Like I said, try to jump or charge the battery, just cause your stereo plays and your lights come on, it might still be too dead to crank.

If that doesn't work, and you have the room to, try to kick start it. If it won't kick start, it might be a switch. Oddly enough, my pedal assembly broke, and the clutch pedal wasn't depressing the switch. Therefore no start.

If neither of these things work I'd say check your starter. 2 bolts and it's out. Take it to autozone etc. to get it tested. If it's not the starter, start testing your electricity, track down where it stops.

Mine was buzzing, and I swore to god that it wasn't the battery. Sure enough I tried to jump it, and bam. Boop boop she boop de bop de bop boom bop. That means it started.

just tried to jump it had my truck hooked up to it for about 20 minutes and nothing besides a little beep now that i wasnt getting much before when i turn the key off?

If it was a good connection it should have jumped. Only thing I could think of is the battery being completely shot, but next best thing I could suggest is kick 'er.

There's also the chance it could be the ignition switch... don't go out quite as often as the other things listed above, but it's happened to me before.

dead battery = dead radio

My battery in my 1997 Honda died a while ago. I am trying to get the code to reset the radio/cassette. I was told I only needed my VIN #. Does anybody know what I need to have to make this happen? and then how to reset it?

par5709@gmail.com
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Patti

^ beat me to it lol and ill try it again in the daylight but i think its the clutch switch, is the part on it up on the top of the pedal? if so im pretty sure its stuck because theres no piece that slides out when i press it like there is on the brake switch if you understand what i mean

Yes, I should be up there near the brake switch, if you need one, I should have one sitting around, let me know.

Yes it is roughly in the same spot on the clutch as the brake switch is on the brake pedal. Take it out and see if cleaning it helps. Otherwise, get a new one.

Back