Won't start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mholmes85

last week driving down the highway about 1/2 mile from my exit, saw my temp guage going up. so on the offramp i turned my heat on full...well it blew cold air and temp was climbing quick, so right after i got off the highway i found a spot where i could pull over and i did. when i turned the car off the temp was all the way up on red. i got out, discovered i had zero coolant and there was coolant all over the back of my motor. me and my dad trailered the car home.

the waterpump's gear froze in place, ripping my t-belt in the middle and throwing my car off time(pretty sure). luckily i the car was running fine when i turned it off, just hot...which is bad enough. so i replaced the water pump and t-belt trying to time it with the cam marks and the crank mark to time it correctly. now it turns over fine, but it won't start. i smell gas so its getting fuel, its getting power to the ignition coil and the plugs/wires/ignition coil/ distributer rotor are all new. i just really would love it if i didnt have to take the t-belt off again to re-time it. any input or ideas?

thanks

Quoted post[/post]]
last week driving down the highway about 1/2 mile from my exit, saw my temp guage going up. so on the offramp i turned my heat on full...well it blew cold air and temp was climbing quick, so right after i got off the highway i found a spot where i could pull over and i did. when i turned the car off the temp was all the way up on red. i got out, discovered i had zero coolant and there was coolant all over the back of my motor. me and my dad trailered the car home.

the waterpump's gear froze in place, ripping my t-belt in the middle and throwing my car off time(pretty sure). luckily i the car was running fine when i turned it off, just hot...which is bad enough. so i replaced the water pump and t-belt trying to time it with the cam marks and the crank mark to time it correctly. now it turns over fine, but it won't start. i smell gas so its getting fuel, its getting power to the ignition coil and the plugs/wires/ignition coil/ distributer rotor are all new. i just really would love it if i didnt have to take the t-belt off again to re-time it. any input or ideas?

thanks
The first thing to do is a compression test, see if you have compression in all cylinders.
If you do, then you missed a wire/ground etc.
If you don't, you either get to: re-time the car or replace the valves.

Good luck :wink:

thanks for the input

well this is a twist that im pretty stumpted on. well after i posted that i went out to look it over again, i started it..it was cranking for like 5 sec, then it was running at like 200rpm then died, so i tried it again this time it just kept running, then creeped up to 500rpms, then went to 1500rpm until warm up, then back down to normal 600rpms, when i press the gas theres a second or two delay then it catches it. there is no abnormal engine noise HOWEVER my exhaust sounds very different. ive got no cat, 2.5piping into muffler but it just sounds different, do you think i messed up an o2 sensor when it got hot? im still figuring it out, the more imput the better

thanks

Quoted post[/post]]
thanks for the input

well this is a twist that im pretty stumpted on. well after i posted that i went out to look it over again, i started it..it was cranking for like 5 sec, then it was running at like 200rpm then died, so i tried it again this time it just kept running, then creeped up to 500rpms, then went to 1500rpm until warm up, then back down to normal 600rpms, when i press the gas theres a second or two delay then it catches it. there is no abnormal engine noise HOWEVER my exhaust sounds very different. ive got no cat, 2.5piping into muffler but it just sounds different, do you think i messed up an o2 sensor when it got hot? im still figuring it out, the more imput the better

thanks
No, it still sounds like you bent a valve or mis timed...
If it runs decent idle, you probly just mis timed by a tooth... and yea one tooth will make all the difference.

thanks, well do i have to take off the timing belt and adjust it? or could i use a timing light and very slightly adjust my distributor? (which i think would be much easier)

Quoted post[/post]]
thanks, well do i have to take off the timing belt and adjust it? or could i use a timing light and very slightly adjust my distributor? (which i think would be much easier)
Your distributor will not make up the difference in time... it sounds much easier, but you gotta do it the right way... take everything apart and retime it....
:cry:
I've been there

ahh crap...well at least i just did it so it can go by much faster. do you know a way to make sure i'm not one tooth off again? the problem i had last time was trying to get the cams timing marks to line up, then to stay in place while i tried to get the belt on...what a pain

Quoted post[/post]]
ahh crap...well at least i just did it so it can go by much faster. do you know a way to make sure i'm not one tooth off again? the problem i had last time was trying to get the cams timing marks to line up, then to stay in place while i tried to get the belt on...what a pain
TRY locking up the cams with something (or the proper tool) make sure you know which cam has to b a bit advanced if u did any motor work(pnp, cams)and change the oil...lol since your motor got so hot the water pump seized (welded)tight..

Quoted post[/post]]
Isn't there a hole in the top of the cam to put a small screw in there to hold it in place?
I know there is on most of the honda engines...

i don't remember seeing one, but ill find out this afternoon. there might be, i didnt look for one. i'm tearing it down and hope to get it running right today. thanks for your input.

:boxing: it runs great! it was 1 tooth off on the intake cam. since i just changed the belt a few days ago, it only took me a little over an hour to move the belt and get it running. well now the car has tons of new parts and i will more than likely drive it until it dies...for good which hopefully will be a few years. thanks for all the imput

Back