work passwords

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Govt security requirements have become more strict over the years.

When I first started we just had one password layer on all of the systems and a lot of them were just group accounts with a password that everyone shared/knew. Now everything has 2/3 password layers with RSA tokens and individual accounts for each person.

So... how exactly does one get into these types of fields? They sound interesting/rewarding. I'm still not set on what exactly I want to do. How exactly do you guys enjoy your jobs GSRCRXsi/Calesta/B16?

i like my job, but my particular job isnt glamorous like B16 or Calesta, mine is very boring a lot of the time (currently trying to get a promotion thats more involved). actually maybe not even B16, since we chat on gchat all day LOL

basically, go to school for some form of engineering, I went for Aerospace which fits well with the whole NASA/satellite industry. get a clearance if you can (i dont need one) then look for jobs in the govt or govt contractor area. Calesta and I both work for govt contractors. B16 does system/network admin work for a large corporation.

So... how exactly does one get into these types of fields? They sound interesting/rewarding. I'm still not set on what exactly I want to do. How exactly do you guys enjoy your jobs GSRCRXsi/Calesta/B16?

I love my job.

About getting a job like it:
Ever read Kylph's signature? Yeah, pretty much that's it. Get an internship working on a military base, and maybe you'll have a manager like me who makes you do everything to gain experience. A security clearance isn't hard to get, the higher level ones are though. If you want to ask more pointed questions, pm me.

I started working for the feds in high school as an intern, and now I'm pretty happy with my career.

I love my job.

About getting a job like it:
Ever read Kylph's signature? Yeah, pretty much that's it. Get an internship working on a military base, and maybe you'll have a manager like me who makes you do everything to gain experience. A security clearance isn't hard to get, the higher level ones are though. If you want to ask more pointed questions, pm me.

I started working for the feds in high school as an intern, and now I'm pretty happy with my career.

That's it dude. I swear I just had this conversation not 5 minutes ago. Tech jobs, especially the fun ones, require 2 things.

Get your foot in the door SOMEWHERE.
Work hard. Gain experience. Pay your dues. Advance.

If you're willing to do bitch work for 2-3 years (maybe more) you'll find that the industries for tech (whether it's mech engineering, software engineering, whatever) are just looking for people that have a lot of potential to train and mold into exactly what they need.

My example is not uncommon:

1) Worked really hard as a Help Desk guy.
2) Our dev got overloaded and they asked if I could help.
3) Learned flash and php on my own time, and was able to jump into the work in 2 weeks of hard work.
4) Topped out my experience and went to work for verizon in help desk.
5) Worked really hard. Built some tools, learned how the 'internet' works.
6) Worked for a hosting company as front line support. Took every shift I could, followed the Engineers outside for smoke breaks. Took everything in, and when a new Engineer spot opened, I applied for it.
7) Worked as an engineer for a few months, then a secretary told me I did my job wrong for DOD wiping a hard drive that had been out of rotation for 30 days (even though that was policy). Told her to STFU in a less than PC way and was fired. Lesson learned. (On a side note, she was fired for incompetence 3 months later, and was, last I checked, a greeter at walmart).
8) Got a job making way less money with some really smart guys. Let them brain dump on me for 2 years. Learned Perl and Python. Moved on.
9) Got to rackspace. Paid my dues as an admin for 2 years. Worked hard, built a lot of cool, high profile tools, got promoted to engineer.

In all of that, my only School was 2 classes at a Community College. Introduction to Linux, and MySQL administration.

I'm sure Mech/Aero Engineering will take a degree, but what I'm getting at is, the fun stuff in the Software/System engineering world really just takes hard work and persistence. Show people you're willing to go the extra mile to further yourself, and that generates a lot of respect from your peers. Respect that translates into more responsibility that will translate into a promotion.

I'm positive that I'm one of the people 'taking a job away from someone with a degree' but only because I do it better than them. Instead of learning from a professor for 4 years, I learned on the job, and got more out of it than they did from their school. Now I'm the one interviewing them and turning them down because they're not well rounded enough. I've taken a few candidates straight out of college, but for the most part, college teaches you to 'do what it takes to pass, nothing more'. I don't want people with that attitude. I want people motivated to learn more than what's required of them. I want people who have been 6ft over their head, and turned into subject matter experts in a short amount of time.

If you take anything out of this post, take the last paragraph. The companies that get all the press (Google, Facebook, Amazon) DONT CARE ABOUT A DEGREE. They care about what you've done that you can bring with you. They care about how quickly you'll learn, and how deep you'll dive down the knowledge rabbit hole. They could get 2 shits about your 4.0 from Stanford.

Last edited:
^^ +1

My current intern is putty, he's going to go far.

That's it dude. I swear I just had this conversation not 5 minutes ago. Tech jobs, especially the fun ones, require 2 things.

Get your foot in the door SOMEWHERE.
Work hard. Gain experience. Pay your dues. Advance.

If you're willing to do bitch work for 2-3 years (maybe more) you'll find that the industries for tech (whether it's mech engineering, software engineering, whatever) are just looking for people that have a lot of potential to train and mold into exactly what they need.

My example is not uncommon:

1) Worked really hard as a Help Desk guy.
2) Our dev got overloaded and they asked if I could help.
3) Learned flash and php on my own time, and was able to jump into the work in 2 weeks of hard work.
4) Topped out my experience and went to work for verizon in help desk.
5) Worked really hard. Built some tools, learned how the 'internet' works.
6) Worked for a hosting company as front line support. Took every shift I could, followed the Engineers outside for smoke breaks. Took everything in, and when a new Engineer spot opened, I applied for it.
7) Worked as an engineer for a few months, then a secretary told me I did my job wrong for DOD wiping a hard drive that had been out of rotation for 30 days (even though that was policy). Told her to STFU in a less than PC way and was fired. Lesson learned. (On a side note, she was fired for incompetence 3 months later, and was, last I checked, a greeter at walmart).
8) Got a job making way less money with some really smart guys. Let them brain dump on me for 2 years. Learned Perl and Python. Moved on.
9) Got to rackspace. Paid my dues as an admin for 2 years. Worked hard, built a lot of cool, high profile tools, got promoted to engineer.

In all of that, my only School was 2 classes at a Community College. Introduction to Linux, and MySQL administration.

I'm sure Mech/Aero Engineering will take a degree, but what I'm getting at is, the fun stuff in the Software/System engineering world really just takes hard work and persistence. Show people you're willing to go the extra mile to further yourself, and that generates a lot of respect from your peers. Respect that translates into more responsibility that will translate into a promotion.

I'm positive that I'm one of the people 'taking a job away from someone with a degree' but only because I do it better than them. Instead of learning from a professor for 4 years, I learned on the job, and got more out of it than they did from their school. Now I'm the one interviewing them and turning them down because they're not well rounded enough. I've taken a few candidates straight out of college, but for the most part, college teaches you to 'do what it takes to pass, nothing more'. I don't want people with that attitude. I want people motivated to learn more than what's required of them. I want people who have been 6ft over their head, and turned into subject matter experts in a short amount of time.

If you take anything out of this post, take the last paragraph. The companies that get all the press (Google, Facebook, Amazon) DONT CARE ABOUT A DEGREE. They care about what you've done that you can bring with you. They care about how quickly you'll learn, and how deep you'll dive down the knowledge rabbit hole. They could get 2 shits about your 4.0 from Stanford.
Depends, if you're doing software dev they require a 4 year BS in computer science. At least we do here.

Depends, if you're doing software dev they require a 4 year BS in computer science. At least we do here.

That's strange to me. Everywhere I've ever applied that BS was more optional with equivalent work experience accepted.

I don't doubt what you're saying, it just seems odd with how many insanely intelligent people in the tech field don't go to college.

Hmm, I like the way this sounds. I like to consider myself a "harder than average" working person. I always do my best work and try to come up with better ways to do things, regardless of what I am doing.

My current job is so dead-end it's not even funny.

My boss promised me a raise 2 months ago, straight up told me "you're getting a raise here so look for it on your paycheck." Never got it, talked to his boss and she informed me that it was because I didn't do well enough on my review for a raise. When my current boss did my review, he told me "oh it won't be as good as the review your previous manager gave you, she grades waaay too easy, she's an idiot."

So I'm pretty sure he fucked me on my raise because of his pathetic little ego. I work twice as hard at this store because we do significantly more business than my previous location.

He honestly barely does nothing, he walks around on his cell phone texting or playing games most of the time. He really does not care at all. He can barely remember to even make a schedule before he's supposed to. If he doesn't he just tells us that we're working our "usual" schedule.

Study up then. Learn how computers work. Learn Linux or....the dark side....windows (the deep internals and components, like Active Directory). Once you get past the 'I can build a computer' and know how to run linux/power use windows, you should be good for a help desk.

I've never been turned down (that i know of) for a lack of a degree. it's always BS + 1-3 or 4-6 experience in lue....

if you have no experience, and have nothing to show for yourself, you'll probably need a degree.

At least half the people I work with did a similar 1-3 year stint in school and realized it was a waste of time/wasn't what they were looking for/were smarter than their teachers/ and got a few certs and went to work, and 10 years later, are still working.

Guess everywhere is different. At least here in the Valley they put them as a requirement on the job postings. Keep in mind you're competing with many others who have degrees and experience. Maybe in your locations the market is not so flooded.

There's plenty of tech jobs here. all the college kids ran off to cali to find jobs and now can't :D

wat? we have mad positions open son!

Yeah my in box is flooded with shit for SF and LA. Sadly nothing in san diego, and I cant be bothered to look for shit when I have an awesome job right now. Not a dev, but get to write code 3-4 days a week, nearly unlimited budget for equipment, partner program and early release for dell and cisco.

I don't know who I'd actually leave rackspace to work for (assuming they're offering less than double my current salary). Politics suck here, but the atmosphere is nice, my management chain is awesome, and I have some crazy smart people to siphon knowledge from.

How exactly do you guys enjoy your jobs GSRCRXsi/Calesta/B16?

Love it.

That's strange to me. Everywhere I've ever applied that BS was more optional with equivalent work experience accepted.

I don't doubt what you're saying, it just seems odd with how many insanely intelligent people in the tech field don't go to college.

Sysadmin and network admin type stuff, sure- no problem. Consumer application and internet development- no problem. My brother writes security code for the internet backbone up at MIT, and he doesn't have the right degree for it. But try to break into the development that we do, and you're going to have to have a degree to even get your foot in the door.

I'm a manager so I deal with a lot of politics which can be a drag at times. I do like owning my products and watching them succeed. Also watching my employees grow and rewarding them for a job well done makes my job great. Not to mention the pay allows me to live very comfortably and support my family with me being the only income earner.

I got in by obtaining my BS in CS at the same time working as an intern/developer while going to school. This gave me the degree and experience to get my foot in the door at a fortune 500 company and I've only moved up from there. There are many different paths into this line of work, my personal opinion and experience is I think a degree makes it that much easier to get in.

Back