Work, What do you do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

part sales manager at a well known auto parts store.

My grandpa did this for Mercer Island for many years then North Bend.

Isn't it something like prevailing wage?

no shit huh. I work for the other wealthy city on the other side of the bridge. I also grew up in north bend and have a ton of family that works for the city.
that's the thing about working for the government all your wages are public info so if you know the persons full name you can just google it and find there wages

Manager, Engineering Services Operations at Symantec.

Basically we develop and manage the deployment of our cloud software.

No one is a master of the custodial arts?

I do enjoy how everyone's job title, to the outside world, demands respect and commands attention. Internally, the title is probably synonomous with "still someone else's bitch."

I do enjoy how everyone's job title, to the outside world, demands respect and commands attention. Internally, the title is probably synonomous with "still someone else's bitch."
:werd: Only when you are on the board of directors.. Well then I guess you're the stock price's bitch.. There is no escape..

Manager, Engineering Services Operations at Symantec.

Basically we develop and manage the deployment of our cloud software.

At the Mountain View campus?

My fiance is at the KPMG office across the street currently. I had lunch at the Symantec cafeteria when I visited. :)

(I got the employee discount without asking for it, too!)

I'm a technician at a shop that does performance and repair work on Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, BMW, and Mercedes.

w00t!

At the Mountain View campus?

My fiance is at the KPMG office across the street currently. I had lunch at the Symantec cafeteria when I visited. :)

(I got the employee discount without asking for it, too!)
Yes! Right across from KPMG. LOL, wow, what a small world.... I'm in the building across Middlefield from KPMG. They used to be VeriSign buildings with the nice fountain out front.

Nice, you got 15% off. When we were just VeriSign (same location) we would pretend to be SYMC employees.

It's true. I am 1/3rd owner of the company, of course I'm on the bottom rung of that ladder.

Never thought about it that way... Very true though.

Ya we should start a different thread called "What do you REALLY do for work?" We would get entirely different responses.

Middle School Math Teacher (in the trenches). On my prep period as I write this.

My grandpa did this for Mercer Island for many years then North Bend.

Isn't it something like prevailing wage?

Prevailing wages is when a government company must outsource work but if you are employeed by the state, then it is not prevailing wages. An example would be the need for a school to have railings on a handicaped entrance. The district might outsource a construction company to build these rails. The bid would be pretty high but the quality/safety of the work would need to be second to none (legal issues, blah, blah, blah). The workers would get prevailing wages (much more per hour) in comparison of their hourly wage if they built the same railing for soemone's home.

Nice try. I have made more than prevailing wage when I had big jobs.

A prevailing wage is defined as the hourly wage, usual benefits and overtime, paid to the majority of workers, laborers, and mechanics within a particular area. Prevailing wages are established, by the Department of Labor & Industries, for each trade and occupation employed in the performance of public work.[1]
Wikipedia.

It's whatever a city/state/etc define as trade work, and they have a set scale for what they pay. No one gets paid more, nor less.

Example
I did some concrete for a project that was for the city of seattle recently. I made $37.00/hr for journeyman carpenter rate. The Laborers get $18.00.

The shitty thing is most of the superintendents and leads on this job would complain when working OT($55/hr) that doing so was the only way to get their regular hourly wage. So in instance, they actually make much more on non-govnt jobs.

And one my buddy's worked for the city of bellevue as an electrician doing independent non-union electrical work. I'd be damned if he made a penny less than prevailing wage as its a highly skilled job.

Back