Work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

XZILER8

So I was at work today and I had a revalation........

I've come to the conclusion that I totally, absolutely, completely, honestly, and sincerely hate my fucking job!

I have spent the last 7 years of my life working in the hopitality industry. I've worked my way up the ladder to where I'm at now. I'm the banquet manager for a local upscale hotel. I work around 75-80 hours a week and only make $28k a year. It pays the bills, but I'm far from happy. I'm sick and tired of pretending like I give a shit about what how the guest feels and bored to tears with explaining myself day in and day out to my boss! It's a low paying industry. I've pretty much given up on a standardized university degree. I'm a certified EMT (emergency medical technician) and have dreams of one day making it on a paid fire department, but that's easier said than done. I've done all the testing, but am playing the waiting game to actually get hired on(it's a long list).

Ok, I just realized I'm ranting :rant:

The reason I started this thread was to ask who if anybody out there works as an auto mechanic. I've always had an interest in cars and love working on them. What does the average auto mechanic make salary wise? Is it an enjoyable line of work. I can't decide whether or not it's a good idea to mix hobbies and work. I would hate to get burned out on being a paid mechanic and thus ruin my hobby. It's kinda like dating your (girl) friend, if things go sour, then you can kiss the friendship goodby. Shitty analogy, but you get the point.

please lend me some advice....................

bill is a mechanic, and makes decent money. but, it all depends on 2 things- how much work there is on a given day, what kind of job it is (flat rate for X job is different for everything) and how long it takes you to do said job.

even if you make $10 an hour on flat rate, its not uncommon to do 70+ hours of work in a 40 hour work week.
at the same time, if you only get 20 hours in due to a problem car, you don't make dick (most places have a minumum).

im not exactly sure how much bill makes, nor do i think its my place to post it on the net... but a skilled, and fast, mecahnic, can easily make 40-70k a year if hes good. if he sucks, is slow, or works at a dead dealership, probably what your making now.
on top of that, thats a dealership. jiffy lube won't pay that for sure, neither will a mom and pop shop.

Originally posted by XZILER8@Jun 20 2003, 01:07 AM

I've come to the conclusion that I totally, absolutely, completely, honestly, and sincerely hate my fucking job!

welcome to life here on planet earth. enjoy your stay.

What are some schools that are good to go to to get certified? What kind of education do most dealerships look for?

Got any info for me WildBill?

while education is important, hands on experience is what will get you the job.
there's tons of 1-year tech schools out there. im sure theres some in your area. bill went to one of those, while working part time at monroe muffler shop... oil changes, brakes, and exahust- cash to keep gas in the car, and gained some experience. He was lucky, and the manager from there went to honda... and offered bill a job.

Back