Workbenches

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah, I'm going to have to build one, I can't find anything I like anywhere. I was thinking about pouring a concrete top, but there's absolutely no way I can get that upstairs, lol.

I'm thinking about 3x8 or so in size, with six legs supporting it, legs removable for easy transportation.

Get it upstairs? Fuck that, pour it upstairs. If you plan it you can do it will little to no mess

Why are you so worried about having a hardwood top? You're just going to screw it up anyways, I've always had work benches growing up, best work benches have a layer of cardboard on top.

Nothing like dropping an iron on hardwood, or getting super glue on it....

Hrm, true.

I guess now the choice is 2' of depth, or 2.5' deep? I seem to do alright with 2' as a computer desk, but I always seem to want/need more space.

EDIT:
Dimensions I'm thinking about now are either 2'x6' and maybe total height of 34"?

Last edited:
Ahhh, that's what you meant. I couldn't visualize for some reason. That looks cool, I don't know if that would stand up to what I want though. I want to be able to stand on it if needed.

EDIT:
I'm doing reading about Plywood and OSB and it looks like OSB isn't like "Chip Board" that I thought it was, it's actually worthwhile to use for stuff now.

Last edited:
I plan on having a reloading press on it, and a nice big vise, so you can see my requirement for stout-ness.

my dad always laid down a sheet of super thin (1/8 or 1/4") hardboard material on his (similar to pegboard but without the holes). acts as like a 'cutting board' that's easily replaced as a topper with a couple screws after years of abuse, spills, screw, etc. The main structure stays clear of damage and when the time comes for a new topper, a few cuts and a few screws and it's like new again.

Yeah. I'm going to use some 3/4 in plywood with a hardboard top. I've already secured a vehicle to bring home the lumber, and should be able to finish it tonight. I might even get her to drive it all home. :D

Yep, but I don't have one. Maybe when I have a real need for one. The impact drill I have is more of a hammer drill for going through concrete. I'm going to be drilling pilot holes too, so I shouldn't have issue using my battery powered drill.

pilot holes and a dab of soap or butter should send them home without too much trouble.

and make sure you have good bits

I built it last night.

Total was less than $54 and I have a 3/4" plywood top, and 72" of usable workspace. I have a second plywood top that I may build another one with, or I may just keep in the attic for when I eventually destroy the first top.

Here's a picture, with some other stuff on it:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0579_resized.jpg
    IMG_0579_resized.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 284
Those screws won't work with an OCD person.

Nice! Looks similar to mine.

My dad helped me with mine, and not realizing Im a freak for having nails and screws in a straight line, he just started blasting em in. I almost had a stroke lol.

Just like his ding dong, he just drills it anywhere he wants. No thought, just drill.

attachment.php

attachment.php

My bench.

The main goal was to fit 2 coolers and a tool box. I have a vice going on it as with a grinding/buffing wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_1964.JPG
    IMG_1964.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 172
Back