Workbenches

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah it's a workbench. Any time spent measuring screw locations is time that could've been spent working.

Yeah it's a workbench. Any time spent measuring screw locations is time that could've been spent working.

Or it's a way of seeing someone's craftmenship and how much care they put into things, even small things.

It's not about stopping and measuring, anyone with some skills can easily line up a few random screws.

Not saying pickle is not skillful but it's a good sign of him being lazy lol.

I think it's more important to regulate your level of craftsmanship based on the project at hand. Sometimes you need a micrometer, sometimes you need a ten pound sledge.

The bench is perfectly square. It's also perfectly level. I offset the screws so I could drive screws from the other side too. It's symmetric as in each joint is the same. I pre drilled the holes with a #32 bit and drove the 2.75" screws in.

So, I built 2 AKs on it yesterday, and now the top is all stained and dented. I'm glad I didn't go with the hardwood top.

The hardwood top would have held up better especially with a few coats of finish on them. I have 10 plus maple benches in my shop and aside from a couple of random router gouges and accidental drill holes from students they look awesome. The down side to them is the occasional maintenance - but I have students for that.

Back