Working out....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yea when I was working out I'd switch up what part of the body I'm working on every other workout. And I used to work on benchpress because that's how I, like most people, judge a man's strength. But, I noticed I was able to life heavy objects so I started deadlifting a lot, and also doing the rest of my workouts. Was mostly basics, just bench press, lots of curls, military press, dead lift, some squats, leg press, rows, butterfly, and back in the day when I used to get into a lot of fights, I started holding 5 pound dumbells while swinging at a punching bag, and got up to a 10 pound in each hand so I used to swing pretty fast. Pretty much those work outs all mixed up every other workout.

And the only thing I kept up with was how much weight I had, because once I could get 10 slow reps I'd raise my bench work out to whatever I could get 2-3 reps on and build that up to 10, up it by around 20-30 pounds, etc. so I didn't do a lot of maxing out. Every once in a while I'd do faster reps but I really like the slow rep it just tears you up and you feel great afterward. I raised the rest of my work outs accordingly.

Yea when I was working out I'd switch up what part of the body I'm working on every other workout. And I used to work on benchpress because that's how I, like most people, judge a man's strength. But, I noticed I was able to life heavy objects so I started deadlifting a lot, and also doing the rest of my workouts. Was mostly basics, just bench press, lots of curls, military press, dead lift, some squats, leg press, rows, butterfly, and back in the day when I used to get into a lot of fights, I started holding 5 pound dumbells while swinging at a punching bag, and got up to a 10 pound in each hand so I used to swing pretty fast. Pretty much those work outs all mixed up every other workout.

And the only thing I kept up with was how much weight I had, because once I could get 10 slow reps I'd raise my bench work out to whatever I could get 2-3 reps on and build that up to 10, up it by around 20-30 pounds, etc. so I didn't do a lot of maxing out. Every once in a while I'd do faster reps but I really like the slow rep it just tears you up and you feel great afterward. I raised the rest of my work outs accordingly.

It sounds to me like you really enjoyed your workouts and that's just awesome. You had a heck of a rigorous workout too. I have not had the chance to do any type of boxing as of yet, though have been curious to try it. Perhaps when I am able to get a personal trainer again.

I'm not sure if could judge a persons strength on just one thing. Personally, the same person that is "strong" at a specific thing could have lack of endurance. I believe that if you build up your endurance, your strength will also come.

Amen to feeling great after an intense, great workout! :thumbsup:

Yea man for real I'm seriously thinking about starting my routines again I've let myself go somewhat after that. Not to mention I felt a lot better most of the time, and now I don't really have much time. But summer's around the corner and I'll be out of school :).

And as far as swinging at the bag with 5-10 pound dumbells in hand, that's a great one it'll get you swinging FAST and you won't feel tired at all. Reminds me of that cartoon, "Dragonball Z" I used to watch it all the time, and they're training in a room with a gravity device that can multiply gravity up to 500 times normal gravity. That'd be sweet! Of course not that much, but maybe like twice the gravity to double your weight while you run, do pushups, situps, etc.

But of course I'd have never been doing that if I wasn't being fucked with in middle school and having to fight all the time.

Yea man for real I'm seriously thinking about starting my routines again I've let myself go somewhat after that. Not to mention I felt a lot better most of the time, and now I don't really have much time. But summer's around the corner and I'll be out of school :).

What's eating up all of your time that you wouldn't be able to start now? School is a few hours a day, homework is a little bit more and I KNOW you don't spend all of your free time working on your car. haha I often go to the gym and think about what I have learned and want to do to my build while doing cardio. Though I don't suggest losing yourself like this when you are lifting any kind of weight. In fact, stay VERY focused then. I lost focus once...won't mention why....while I was doing lat pulldowns and yeah, I laughed as I freakin' hurt my neck. It hurt and I KNEW I shouldn't have lost concentration, but I did.

Well, I do tend to eat a lot, but I do eat pretty healthy and I do at least 30 minutes of cardio a day (whether it be running, biking, whatever), so I don't think I'm really in danger as far as an unhealthy lifestyle goes.

What's got me worried actually, is that my dad is fairly healthy too...not overweight at all, exercised pretty regularly, eats decently, and he got it anyway...so I'm thinking maybe it's genetic...

Sometimes its simply genetics and that's precisely why I said all you can really do is hope it doesn't strike you.

What's eating up all of your time that you wouldn't be able to start now? School is a few hours a day, homework is a little bit more and I KNOW you don't spend all of your free time working on your car. haha I often go to the gym and think about what I have learned and want to do to my build while doing cardio. Though I don't suggest losing yourself like this when you are lifting any kind of weight. In fact, stay VERY focused then. I lost focus once...won't mention why....while I was doing lat pulldowns and yeah, I laughed as I freakin' hurt my neck. It hurt and I KNEW I shouldn't have lost concentration, but I did.

What's eating up my time is that school is from 8:00-3:25, then I gotta work from like 4:00-11:00 or sometimes midnight and I work 6 days a week, sometimes 7. Trying to make that money man I'm barely making rent and insurance, on top of trying to save up for a nitrous kit for the Civic along with some other parts. Also I work full time on weekends.

Sometimes its simply genetics and that's precisely why I said all you can really do is hope it doesn't strike you.

Very true, Michael. Taking care of yourself will also help the cause as well.

What's eating up my time is that school is from 8:00-3:25, then I gotta work from like 4:00-11:00 or sometimes midnight and I work 6 days a week, sometimes 7. Trying to make that money man I'm barely making rent and insurance, on top of trying to save up for a nitrous kit for the Civic along with some other parts. Also I work full time on weekends.

Wow! Now THAT is a schedule. I'm hoping to get a second job, so I feel you my friend. My hours were cut at work and wow...that hurt a lot. At least you have your priorities straight...rent, insurance...then the nitrous kit. haha Best of luck for sure.

I used to only get like 3 days a week til we lost all our cooks :D now I'm head cook I tell all those fools to do whatever I don't want to do and I get however many hours and days I want. This all happened like 2 weeks after I started I lucked out.

I used to only get like 3 days a week til we lost all our cooks :D now I'm head cook I tell all those fools to do whatever I don't want to do and I get however many hours and days I want. This all happened like 2 weeks after I started I lucked out.

haha...in my job, I AM the head cook, especially on Sunday. Except that instead of cooking, I'm directing drivers twice my age. That is my job on Sunday's. The other days I assist in these duties. Quite fun dealing with over paid babies half the time. Most are cool, but there are always a few that like to whine about EVERYTHING. Sad really.

Shit I get paid hardly anything. Only making $5.85/hour and management only gets $5.95/hour, with exception of this other cook who's been there over a year n a half who makes a whopping $6.10/hour.

And when the guys up front call out massive amounts of chicken, yea, I bitch and moan a lot because I have every right, especially since the only assistant cook they give me is a DUMBASS, slow ass, IDIOT who has no clue what he's doing, doesn't learn anything, and is just about useless. haha

I know it would probably be hard, but with your experience, do you think you would have a chance elsewhere?

Wanna be Big.com - The Ultimate Weight Training and Bodybuilding Resource Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site. and totalburnout(ian) are my sources of info for lifting.

I'm pretty into lifting, and consider myself in ok shape. There have been numerous threads on this information already as well.

I like BodyBuilding.com. In fact, I ordered my ab sleeves from there.

*sigh* I found out about this already, unfortunately, and asked the mods that if they would like to close this thread or delete, please do so.

You know, it REALLY sucks when you enjoy going to the gym, working out, yet you can't go because you don't have a freakin' car! *sigh* I really hope to get one back today so I can go to the gym tomorrow.

how far is the gym?

run to the gym? take it as warm up / cardio time??

how far is the gym?

run to the gym? take it as warm up / cardio time??

If I could, I would and that is not a bad idea. However, the gym is around thirty miles or so. It would take me an eternity to get there and back. Not to mention I am waiting to get paid to get a new pair of cross trainers. If you were to see the shoes I use for working out now you would probably laugh, then cry a little.

I've never been a runner because it hurts like hell to do so, though I would love to learn. Again, I need a new pair of shoes to even dive in to running.

i'm 6'1", 175lbs, about 10% body fat. and i'm 28.

My reason for working out:
1)vanity. I like to look good, plain and simple
2)football. i play full contact football in a semi-pro league
3)modeling. yes, i model in my spare time. that's why B calls me zoolander.
4)health. i like to be able to move, be flexible, and throw around my gf when we mess around.
5)stress relief. no need to explain.

my workout:
i work on explosion and endurance right now. it is all based around football. take bench for example. i will lower it slowly, maybe a 3 count. then burst it up. it will improve my strentgh for what i need.

i do short cardio. mostly fast twitch stuff. sprints, lateral movements, shuffles and backpedalling. when i was getting cut, i was running/eliptical 45/min a day. lost a lot of weight but i was too skinny.

Food:
most of the time i just eat cereal for breakfast. a boiled egg or two for a snack. lunch is usually a sandwich, chips, and some veggies. dinner is usually steak/chicken, steamed veggies and brown rice. sometimes we'll eat spaghetti or something as a treat. i count calories and fat intake pretty well, but i try to stay around 1800 calories.

I have been lifting and working out for over 12 years so i am pretty knowledgable about fitness if you have any questions. i've been on bodybuilding.com for a while also. some good info there, but mostly a bunch of retards.

Back