Working out....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nick what would you recommend to a 5'8" 210 lb guy to lose a few pounds as soon as possible? I've put on some pounds recently and I wanna lose some before I go to the beach this summer. I've been living on ramen noodles (yup, EVERYONE who lives in a trailor park has done this at least once) and white rice, with cheerios for breakfast.

Nick what would you recommend to a 5'8" 210 lb guy to lose a few pounds as soon as possible? I've put on some pounds recently and I wanna lose some before I go to the beach this summer. I've been living on ramen noodles (yup, EVERYONE who lives in a trailor park has done this at least once) and white rice, with cheerios for breakfast.
haha, you wanna lose pounds quick? eat the exact OPPOSITE of what you eat now.

I know it's hard, but i'm very scientific with the foods i eat.

Here's the bad:

Ramen-high carbs and a shit ton of sodium. the salt makes you hold water and look bloated.

White rice-pure carbs. if you want to eat a good bit of rice, eat brown rice.

cheerios-you probably load it with sugar and drink whole milk. eat 1 cup of cheerios with non-fat milk if you can.

try to up your salads, drink water any time you get hungry, and eat some light protein. boiled eggs and chicken are good, but hard if your budget is tight.

for a workout, you need to burn calories. run, run, and run. 1 hour of fast, full court basketball burns up to 1400 calories. if you cut down to 1500 calories per day and run or do 1 hr of cardio, you should be able to lose 2-5 lbs a week. but remember, if you are going to do a lot of exercise, you need a little carbs for energy. but eat good carbs. white rice=bad, beans and whole grain=good.

EDIT:
my girlfriend loves the master cleanse. I have done it for a couple days myself. it works great, but it's hard. if you can do it for 2 days, you can do it for 10.

Master Cleanse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I eat plain cheerios with 1% fat milk :p gotta have SOME taste in the milk.

Always drink diet soda if I'm not drinking water.
And I didn't know ramen was that bad for ya. What if you ate just the noodles without the seasoning haha.
And I also thought white rice HAD to be good for you, since the Japanese eat it all the time and they're the smallest, healthiest, skinniest, fittest people on the planet.

Thanks for the insight and I'll see about that running :). rep for you

I eat plain cheerios with 1% fat milk :p gotta have SOME taste in the milk.

Always drink diet soda if I'm not drinking water.
And I didn't know ramen was that bad for ya. What if you ate just the noodles without the seasoning haha.
And I also thought white rice HAD to be good for you, since the Japanese eat it all the time and they're the smallest, healthiest, skinniest, fittest people on the planet.

Thanks for the insight and I'll see about that running :). rep for you
i used to drink whole milk, now i drink non-fat. talk about a change. ramen is really bad. i love the stuff though. it's all sodium and carbs. it's cheap. it just means you need to run a little more.

BROWN RICE versus WHITE RICE

Brown rice vs. white rice? - Yahoo! Answers

I used to lift religously. Not anymore though, not enough time in the day. I worked out 6 nights of the week, mixing it up a bit. Lifted heavy 3 of the six nights. One night for back, one night for bi's and tri's, another night for chest and traps, and another night for leg/calf and shoulders. Not so much cardio. I ran on occassion. Your eating habits will affect your results. So if your skinny as shit, start puting weight on. If your in moderation and just want to build muscle, you should eat a protein/carb diet. Contact your gym's trainer for the best regime

It's a great feeling to be in good health and shape. All the girls wanna lick your chest (as long as its shaved). :)

I have pictures from like three years ago of me. I gotta find em and make all the HS chicks want me to change their fluids. ;x

I have pictures from like three years ago of me. I gotta find em and make all the HS chicks want me to change their fluids. ;x

LMMFAO! I almost spit my water all over the screen. Now THAT is quote worthy for sure. hahahahahaha :D

if it hurts to run you should do a different cardio

no need to get knee surgery at 50 if you don't have to

Eh, it hurts my back. Back in 2002 I hurt it twice in a month, without going into detail again, and after eight months of therapy it felt better...blah blah blah...but running still bugs the hell out of me. I'll tell you what though, working out overall has made my life a hell of a lot better and made the pain subside quite a bit.

i'm 6'1", 175lbs, about 10% body fat. and i'm 28.

My reason for working out:
1)vanity. I like to look good, plain and simple
2)football. i play full contact football in a semi-pro league
3)modeling. yes, i model in my spare time. that's why B calls me zoolander.
4)health. i like to be able to move, be flexible, and throw around my gf when we mess around.
5)stress relief. no need to explain.

my workout:
i work on explosion and endurance right now. it is all based around football. take bench for example. i will lower it slowly, maybe a 3 count. then burst it up. it will improve my strentgh for what i need.

i do short cardio. mostly fast twitch stuff. sprints, lateral movements, shuffles and backpedalling. when i was getting cut, i was running/eliptical 45/min a day. lost a lot of weight but i was too skinny.

Food:
most of the time i just eat cereal for breakfast. a boiled egg or two for a snack. lunch is usually a sandwich, chips, and some veggies. dinner is usually steak/chicken, steamed veggies and brown rice. sometimes we'll eat spaghetti or something as a treat. i count calories and fat intake pretty well, but i try to stay around 1800 calories.

I have been lifting and working out for over 12 years so i am pretty knowledgable about fitness if you have any questions. i've been on bodybuilding.com for a while also. some good info there, but mostly a bunch of retards.

i used to drink whole milk, now i drink non-fat. talk about a change. ramen is really bad. i love the stuff though. it's all sodium and carbs. it's cheap. it just means you need to run a little more.

BROWN RICE versus WHITE RICE

Brown rice vs. white rice? - Yahoo! Answers

Thanks for all the links you posted, Nick.

You have a really good grasp of things and your experiences and opinions are well welcomed. :D

Eh, it hurts my back. Back in 2002 I hurt it twice in a month, without going into detail again, and after eight months of therapy it felt better...blah blah blah...but running still bugs the hell out of me. I'll tell you what though, working out overall has made my life a hell of a lot better and made the pain subside quite a bit.

Thanks for all the links you posted, Nick.

You have a really good grasp of things and your experiences and opinions are well welcomed. :D
well, i try to help.

if running hurts, there are a lot of other options. i have a ballys membership too. take one of the spin classes. (bicycle groups). those will help lose weight. also consider the kickboxing and the pilates classes. they are amazing if you do them consistently.

well, i try to help.

if running hurts, there are a lot of other options. i have a ballys membership too. take one of the spin classes. (bicycle groups). those will help lose weight. also consider the kickboxing and the pilates classes. they are amazing if you do them consistently.

I haven't tried running again and really want to. As soon as I get my cross trainers, there's trainer that said she would run with me.

I've had my Bally's membership for around four years now. I love that place. I'm there so often that I know all the trainers and have the luck to workout with them once in a while. It's great. I miss having my own trainer though.

They no longer offer the pilates allegro classes, don't offer kickboxing now as far as I know and I'm rarely there when the spinning classes are going on. The girls that teach those classes kick ass.

I haven't tried running again and really want to. As soon as I get my cross trainers, there's trainer that said she would run with me.

I've had my Bally's membership for around four years now. I love that place. I'm there so often that I know all the trainers and have the luck to workout with them once in a while. It's great. I miss having my own trainer though.

They no longer offer the pilates allegro classes, don't offer kickboxing now as far as I know and I'm rarely there when the spinning classes are going on. The girls that teach those classes kick ass.
if you are going to run, buy running shoes. it will be the best $80-$100 you have spent in your life. go to a real running store. they will take the time to watch you walk. they will look at your arches, how you step, and your foot shape. the biggest mistake you can make is walking into nike town and buying some lebron james cross trainers or some shit. there are some great shoes out there and most don't say "nike" or "adidas" on the side.

also, if you miss having a trainer but don't want to pay for it, go in to the gym and follow around the trainers that are working with other people. pretend to lift weights and watch what they do. then when they are done, copy what they are teaching. works for me. ^_^

if you are going to run, buy running shoes. it will be the best $80-$100 you have spent in your life. go to a real running store. they will take the time to watch you walk. they will look at your arches, how you step, and your foot shape. the biggest mistake you can make is walking into nike town and buying some lebron james cross trainers or some shit. there are some great shoes out there and most don't say "nike" or "adidas" on the side.

also, if you miss having a trainer but don't want to pay for it, go in to the gym and follow around the trainers that are working with other people. pretend to lift weights and watch what they do. then when they are done, copy what they are teaching. works for me. ^_^

I've done the watching other trainers and heck, even get to work out with them at times, since I know all of them nowadays.

As far where to get the shoes from, you couldn't be anymore right than what you said. There's a place here called Track Shac (I believe that's how they spell it) which specializes in shoes for people into sports, running, walking, and what have you. That is where I will end up going and have them fit my freakin' foot into something.

I've met people that complain about their "Nike's" or what have you, saying that even though they're made for their specific application, they still don't feel like they feel right. I tell them to go to a place where they will take the time to measure their foot and all.

All I can say about footwear is that every pair of shoes I've worn SUCKS and feels like shit except for any pair of Nike's I own. I mean, I used to try them on before I buy them, I don't even have to because now I just find me a size 10-10.5 whatever just looks right and they fit like they were custom made. Plus Nike's last for a long, long time at least mine have.

I'd go for Nikes but of course like I said for some reason they all fit me. I get mine at Finish Line, every 3-4 years :D.

I'll stick with getting mine at Track Shac. That way my foot will be measured...etc. etc. and get the proper shoes the first time.

I'm FINALLY going back to the gym after almost a week and a half. I got my car back today, it runs like a champ and can't WAIT to get back in the gym. :D

Ah, a thread I can relate to.

To start off, I'm now 18 and I weigh ~170 lbs., I am about 5'8.

I started lifting weights at the beginning of last year because I got stuck in a weights class at high school. I wasnt into it at all at first. It was all about how much weight I could do at first, and not about personal gain. My weight was about 140 lbs, and I was not at all strong. First trimester my maxes were: bench 130lbs squat 200 lbs and power clean 140 lbs.

Shortly after that I started reading into how to get stronger faster, and knew that the first thing I needed to do was work harder in the weight room. I ended up buying some protein shake mix, and stopped eating fast food. I also cut some sugary crap out of my diet.

To make a long story short, heres where I am now. Bench 210 lbs squat 340 lbs power clean 230 lbs.

I love lifting. I lift every day of the week, mix in cardio and i love the changes. I am much happier, more motivated, and I look a million times better. I am alot more confident, and to this day I do not eat fast food, and I stay on a constant diet of about 1500 carbs a day. I watch very closely.

That's awesome, Matt.

What is your routine split like and do you workout more than five days a week?

P.S. Welcome to the thread. :D

I work out 5 days a week and take the weekends off. Mondays I do chest and shoulders. Tuesday I do legs, Wednesday I work the back. Thursday I run for 45 minutes, then work on abs and core. Friday I usually play basketball with some friends or swim for a couple hours. I love my schedule :)

I work out 5 days a week and take the weekends off. Mondays I do chest and shoulders. Tuesday I do legs, Wednesday I work the back. Thursday I run for 45 minutes, then work on abs and core. Friday I usually play basketball with some friends or swim for a couple hours. I love my schedule :)
welcome to being young and single

welcome to being young and single

Amen to that, Nick. If you guys (and possibly girls that may post in here too) feel free to post your workouts.

I work out five days a week.

Monday is either chest and back or arms and shoulders and abs.

Tuesday is whichever of the two I did not do on Monday.

Wednesday...dear God this is my upper body rest day, aka leg day and abs.

Thursday's are the same body parts worked on Monday again, except with a different routine/exercises for them.

Friday's are the same body parts worked on Tuesday, and just like Thursday's, plus abs.

My daily cardio is anywhere between thirty to forty five minutes.

Someone fax me a bit of energy, as I have been having a huge lack of energy the past few weeks. That, combined with dizziness and a not so happy stomach have made my work outs short and almost worthless. *busts out Magic Eight Ball* I see a visit to my doctor coming VERY soon in order to figure out what the heck is causing this stupid fatigue. Maybe I'm pregnant. :D

Back