Working out....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Do as I do, drink one a 5 hour energy drink and tae 2 stacker 2s in the morning. That usually gets me through the day, I've put in 63 hours this week and still have to work tomorrow but at least I'm not tired =P

Umm, ouch. Your heart hates you. HAHA!

well, i can share info that i know, and i can share what i read. i just read that today, so i knew where it was.

how is the weight loss coming along?

I truly appreciate it, Nick. Legitimate information whether it be something that one has learned, been taught, or practices works for me.

I believe it's going well. I last weighed myself on March 17th and was at 217lbs. Since then I have at the very least, kept my nutritional intake in check. This is not the simplest thing to do when temptation looms all the freakin' time. Still, I find encouragement in myself to meet my goals and keep at it. Saturday nights are saved for my cheat meal, which usually includes free anything at my favorite pizza place. Their New York style pizza is wow...it is just damn good. Heck, everything there is good.

I'm thinking I may weigh myself in a week to see how I am doing. I'm not into weighing myself all the time. Even though with the problems I've had in going to the gym, I do see some improvement, which is always cool. If I did it once, I know I can DAMN WELL DO IT AGAIN! :D And I will.

My friend, I like you, therefore, I won't subject you to what just crossed my mind and leave your question unanswered. haha

Bad numbers? Over the years, I have done my cardio mostly before my work out and sometimes afterwards. It's never felt different and when I had a trainer, he would have me do some before and some after. Heck, I remember when the man was making me gain size...wooooooo, those were some intense workouts which I often did after my cardio. You are right about glycogen levels being lower after cardio though. I actually lifted first today and eh, may change it up from now on. I'm due for a new routine on Monday as I try not to stay on the same routine for more than six weeks at most. It gets old and stagnant. Thank you for your input. :D

There is a lot to be learned and I get all my info from Wanna be Big.com - The Ultimate Weight Training and Bodybuilding Resource and directly from books written by greats like ellington darden and such, and from Total.

What I'm saying is. IF you do cardio often before your lift, you're subjecting yourself to depleted glycogen levels. As you lift often, even doing this, your lifts will increase, but if you start doing your cardio a further time away from your lift, ie. 8 hours before to have high glycogen levels, and creatine levels, or 1/2hr after, at HIT pace to not lose mucle, you'll see a vast, large improvement in your muscle endurance.

Recently I started a cut cycle. I'm doing reverse pyramid, set of 10, 12, 2 sets of max with decreasing weight. IT is imperative to have a lot of muscle endurance to be able to do this kind of workout, and if I do any kind of cardio for more than 30 minutes, or at a high intensity for 15 minutes, I find that I have to drop to a much lower weight and my workout intensity decreases significantly. An example of this would be curl's. I start at 55, set of 10. 50, set of 12, and about 2 sets of 13-14 at 45. If I do cardio, meaning basketball, whatever. I have to start at 50 to get a good set and my final barbel is usually around a 35, something I use for warm ups during a building cycle.

Also take into account, I am on an array of supplements and I have an incredible endurance. I don't have ths size, or cut yet, but end of this quarter I'll prove to you that cardio should not be done before a lift, if you want to A. put up the most weight your body possibly can during a workout, and B. You can cut by doing cardio at a different time or even by just doing super sets and circuits with full body workouts.

Wanna be Big.com - The Ultimate Weight Training and Bodybuilding Resource for more info.

I might even provide before and after pics.

All I have to say to you Slammed is THANK YOU! Rep for you! Please keep up the posts, post before and after pictures, training splits, anything that will educate myself as well as others trying to achieve their individual goals.

By the way, super sets ROCK! :D

I've often considered of doing cardio at different times and it may happen soon! *doing the happy dance* I'm really excited, as I found someone else to do cardio with. I figure, if I have this correct now, that I will do my cardio after lifting.

Dude, thanks again for the great info. :thumbsup:

I have been back at it for two weeks consistently and am loving it. I'm SO glad that I got over whatever the hell had me sleeping so damn much and what have you and FINALLY got back into the gym. On a side note, I have lost three pounds in the past two or was it three weeks? Anywho, all that time I spent away from the gym I kept my eating in check and still lost weight. I've changed my workout since returning from a cardio paced workout of three sets of twelve, to a somewhat building workout of three sets, 10, 8 and 6. I start with heavy weight and just keep going up.

Thank GOD that for every pound of muscle you build it takes your body fifty calories just to keep that muscle up daily. That means if I'm lucky enough to gain just five pounds of muscle, I'll burn an additional 250 calories a day. :D Hello to the right way to weight loss. *doing the happy dance*

How is everyone else doing in their workouts and goals?

congrats man.

i just up my protein another 60g/day. ugh. i can't shit now. haha. goal by july is 180lbs at 8% bf. doubt i'll get there, but it's worth a shot.

currently 175/13.5%. i don't look it though. i look about 165 at 10%. oh well, i'll keep working on it.

Last edited:
sup bitches. I'm back with my old company so i gots a computa!!

I too have started working out. I went out and got some whey protein. i take 2 scoops right before my workout and try to take 1 scoop after...i should. My workout consists of running a mile to get my heart rate up. then jump straight to my triceps by doing dips. I use the assistance weights so i do about 5 reps of 10. I do bicepts with free weight and benchpress's,curls and whatever else to keep me pumping. Nothing really organized but i am seeing some results as far as stamina when i run. The dips are getting easier my tricepts have more definition.

ohh and take spinning classes for cardio. It might sound gay but man that is hard shit if your into it.

sup bitches. I'm back with my old company so i gots a computa!!

I too have started working out. I went out and got some whey protein. i take 2 scoops right before my workout and try to take 1 scoop after...i should. My workout consists of running a mile to get my heart rate up. then jump straight to my triceps by doing dips. I use the assistance weights so i do about 5 reps of 10. I do bicepts with free weight and benchpress's,curls and whatever else to keep me pumping. Nothing really organized but i am seeing some results as far as stamina when i run. The dips are getting easier my tricepts have more definition.

ohh and take spinning classes for cardio. It might sound gay but man that is hard shit if your into it.
your triceps are getting more definition because you are doing cardio and burning fat. not so much from the lifting part.

keep up the good work.

I work out alot. I dont remember if you guys remember the B workout thread. But it was also my inspiration to start. January of 2007 i was 6'3'' 270ish. I was a fat piece of shit. All I ate was Litte Caesars pizzas and drank massive amounts of Pepsi.

I started going to the gym from January till May. Me and the previous GF were fighting so I stopped. I then picked up new responsibilities at work, so I really didn't have time for the gym. In March of this year I started going to the gym 5 days a week. My routine consisted of weights for 45 minutes, and running for 45 minutes.

1- back and Bi
2. shoulders and abs
3. chest and tri
4. legs and bi
5. abs and tri

Now I may alter these slightly, but you want to workout opposite muscle groups each day. I love arms, so I focus on specific workouts each time. People don't realize your arm size is 70% tricep and 30% bicep, so I make sure my triceps hurt everyday :) I also used to run with no resistance for the 45 minutes, now... i run on the elliptical @ 65% load for 25-30 minutes. I burn more calories, and it is an added help to reduce the size of my thighs.

I am down to 214 as of today, but I am a toned 214. Now I am going to start focusing on my stomach more. So high reps low weight with situps will create my abs. I don't have a big stomach, but it is there. I have the vertical line for the 6'er but i have a lot of work to do.

If anyone need any tips or suggestions, feel free to ask. I have done so much research, I am actually looking into studying nutrition as a profession.

And also to elaborate on my diet... I drink only water. I don't do diet soda, teas, or fruit drinks. I may through some Crystal Light for flavoring, but mostly water and Gatorade G2. I try and eat 5-6 meals a day totaling 1700 calories. That may not seem like a lot, but I can assure you I am never hungry. Common meals...

breakfast - 100% whole wheat oatmeal with protein powder for flavoring -or- nutrigrain bar

snack - granola bar, nutrigran bar, mozzarella cheese (reduced fat)or other small meal based bar

lunch - always use "Natures Own" light bread (60 calories for 2 slices) 5-6 pieces of turkey or chicken with fat free cheese and Dijon mustard, or if i go out I go to subway for the roasted chicken sub no cheese. I also eat Quiznos flat bread salads... they are the bomb for under 500 calories with bread and they are huge.

Snack - protein shake, or brownies based around my chocolate shake mix

-workout then cardio

Dinner - grilled chicken salad, can of tuna with hot sauce, and mustard, grilled fish, soup & garden salad or a whole wheat Joe Corbis Jr. (under 300 calories, and 2 grams of fat)

Snack - 100 calorie yogurt, or additional protein shake. Usually I drink tropical punch at night, to give me a different taste than chocolate, strawberry or vanilla.

-Situps and pushups, 2 sets or 50 each (to also help digest my final protein shake)

Now I do have my splurge day, where I may eat pizza, turkey and gravy, or ice cream... buts its all in moderation. I may have 2-3 of those days a month, but I don't work out any harder, or hate myself, because you are only human.

I also buy in bulk to help save in costs. A box of 48 Sams club brand nutrigran bars is like 7 bucks. Or my snack bars are always under 10 bucks for 48. So my total grocery/eating out bill is under 150 a month.

I also only drink beer once a week. Full of empty calories, and non-sense. I have to let loose with the buds, so I may run outside the nextday just to make myself feel slightly better. But when I am out I try alternatives like ice picks/ Bacardi and diet (only soda I drink). Its all about your desire to work out... Like right now I am going to the gym :)

After reading the first post and nothing else, here's my response:
I work out for a few reasons.
1, I want to look good for myself, and for girls. I love girls.
2, I have a $1700 tattoo on my back that I'll sure as hell die before I put on enough weight that I don't want to take my shirt off.
3, It helps me blow off steam
4, It just makes me feel better.

And as far as supplements, I take this stuff called Jet Fuel, and I take whey protein.

Supplements....This is me for now

ON Pro-Complex Whey
Fish Oil
Beta Alanine
Thermonex
CLA-Extreme
Glutamine
Multi Vitamin-Sport

It's a bit of pills for sure.

Pills are nothin. No biggie.

I've always wondered though, but always forgot to research, what are the fish oils for?

For some reason I feel like they're for your joints.

I reread what Nick said about the amount of protein. They suggest you intake grams to pounds, your weight. So I weigh 214lbs... i should intake 214 grams. Well I don't, but I am at about 150 in shakes and 30ish in food a day.

I think what I intake a day is a lot, but when I start to lift more I will take in more.

I work out alot. I dont remember if you guys remember the B workout thread. But it was also my inspiration to start. January of 2007 i was 6'3'' 270ish. I was a fat piece of shit. All I ate was Litte Caesars pizzas and drank massive amounts of Pepsi.

I started going to the gym from January till May. Me and the previous GF were fighting so I stopped. I then picked up new responsibilities at work, so I really didn't have time for the gym. In March of this year I started going to the gym 5 days a week. My routine consisted of weights for 45 minutes, and running for 45 minutes.

1- back and Bi
2. shoulders and abs
3. chest and tri
4. legs and bi
5. abs and tri

First of all, good for you! It is difficult to make a change like that but once you do...
So, as far as the question of cardio before or after lifting, I agree with slammed. Regardless of your goals, there will be no benefit to running before you lift. You should reserve the maximum amount of energy for the task at hand. Run after. Arnold agrees.
Here's another one for you all. Many people seem to do back/bis, chest/tris together, claiming that since you are already working them as a supporting muscle, you might as well finish them. I disagree with this approach. I prefer to do chest/bis, back/tris. This way bis and tris get a complete workout, at their full weight and potential.

I reread what Nick said about the amount of protein. They suggest you intake grams to pounds, your weight. So I weigh 214lbs... i should intake 214 grams. Well I don't, but I am at about 150 in shakes and 30ish in food a day.

I think what I intake a day is a lot, but when I start to lift more I will take in more.

If you take too much, your body will just shit the extra stuff out

who is they?

everybody suggests a different amount of protein. ranging from .5-2.0 grams per pound. but remember, you want that amount per weight of muscle, not overall body weight. so you don't HAVE to have that much protein.

plus, it plugs you up. just jumping to that much will hurt your stomach.

Back