Working out....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1gram for 1lb of body weight is usually the standard I go off.

And your intake is way off man. You should be getting the majority of your protein from whole foods and supplementing for convenience purposes around your workout schedule.

A chicken breast has around 40-50 grams of protein. A can of tuna around 40. It's very easy to get a large amount of protein in a day. I also use eggbeaters instead of egg whites and its awesome.

true.

you should eat food for most vitamins and protein. supplements are...well...supplements. they "supplement" your diet.

I go off of the 1g/lb theory. but you actually only really need to increase your protein from your daily routine. i eat pretty much the same, but now i added 60-80g/day. tell me i can't put on mass that way.

So long as you intake more calories than you expend then you can put on mass.

The question becomes what is the most efficient way to increase your mass.

General rule of thumb is 1-1.5grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. A 4oz chicken breast is a small portion size and contains 25grams of protein. 1 or 2 of those a day.

Purdue Turkey burgers are tasty and lean. Each serving contains about 25grams of protein as well. I eat 2 of those a day.

On other nights 93% lean beef or 97% lean beef, if you can find it, is also an excellent source of protein and its good to vary the types of food you eat. Salmon is another excellent choice.

A serving of tuna is around ~15 grams of protein. There's usually 2 1/2 servings per can. Eat a can and you have about 40grams of protein.

Whole large eggs are about 8grams of protein per egg. Sometimes I only eat whites when I'm trying to cut and watch my cholesterol intake, and sometimes I'll eat the whole egg. You lose about half the protein when you only eat the whites.

Throw in the whole grains that you should be eating and those are fairly protein dense as well. Kashi "Go Lean" cereal has about 13grams of protein per serving, packed with fiber and antioxidants, has other complex carbs and just tastes great.

Greek yogurts have anywhere between 10-17grams of protein per serving and have less sugar (in the plain versions) than the yogurts we typically eat here. I think they taste better as well. The one downside is they're quite a bit more expensive.

Plain non-fat yogurt will do the trick though.

Throw in some oatmeal with skim milk and a cut up banana for good measure.

Daily I see about 150grams of protein + a few protein shakes as a supplement. I'm 5'8 and weigh around 160 right now.

A recommendation I would make to anyone is to examine the nutrition label and the ingredients list on any food they consume.

Companies are tricky and will put deceiving names on products. Half the time on whole grain products the first thing I see is a processed grain, rather than "whole" grain.

If I see high fructose corn syrup on the ingredient list it goes back on the shelf. Thomas has been good about this in recent years, now making their whole grain products like english muffins and wheat wraps without the HFCS.

I drink 2 16oz shakes a day. I combined 16 oz of water and 2 scoops of protein mix at a time(Nitrotech Hardcore). So I am totaling 40grams each shake. So that would be 80ish just in shakes each day. I also eat one protein bar a day averaging 32g (Met-RX). Each can of tuna is 14g of protein, chicken breast is 24, 3oz of turkey is 28g and skim milk is 8g per 1 cup. It still is around 180 a day... but the proportions were off.

Directly on the bottle Nitrotech suggests 2 scoops x 3 per day = 180 just from shakes. Now I am not a body builder but what I intake doesn't seem like alot.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cach...key&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Last edited:
A can of tuna isn't 14grams of protein.

Its 2 1/2 x 14grams = 35grams.

Also I would only buy nitrotech if you're getting coupons/discounts/on sale or if you have money to burn. I use Optimum Nutrition and I get it for about $38/5lb tub which has 77servings with 24grams of protein each. Then again if you have the money to burn or are really in love with the taste, stick with what works for you. I personally love the chocolate optimum nutrition and enjoy drinking a shake with milk.

Your right... but I can get 2lbs tub for 19.99 and get 32 servings with 20g per serving. And I am used to the flavors.

(mine) is 28.5 grams per serving, gets 20g protein = .7protein vs 1g serving
(yours) is 29.5 grams per serving, gets 24g protein = .8protein vs 1g serving

I will look into the optimum Nutrition, I always get these on sale :) Right now I have 4 pounds left.

Your right... but I can get 2lbs tub for 19.99 and get 32 servings with 20g per serving. And I am used to the flavors.

(mine) is 28.5 grams per serving, gets 20g protein = .7protein vs 1g serving
(yours) is 29.5 grams per serving, gets 24g protein = .8protein vs 1g serving

I will look into the optimum Nutrition, I always get these on sale :) Right now I have 4 pounds left.

I always use the optimum nutrition gold standard. I used to buy vanilla, until I tried my housemates when he had double rich chocolate. ...I'll never switch back. If you mix it with milk, it tastes better than normal chocolate milk. I haven't blended it in years, but I bet it tastes even smoother if I blend it with some natural peanut butter and a banana.

I'm frugal, so I always buy what I consider to be the most bang for the buck. I tried nitrotech probably about 5-6years ago now and I just couldn't justify spending extra on something that I didn't see any better results with and that I didn't like as much.

In any case, amazon.com runs some good specials on supplements sometimes.

I started working out 1.5 months ago. My motivation is i am 5'10" and i was 203.8lbs. I had purchased a mountain bike and I could not even ride 3/4 of a mile. I thought i was going to have to call the ambulence. Thats when i started to Diet and work out.

I don't go to the gym i just go home do about 150 jumping jacks, 3 set of 30 crunches and 40lb dumbbells, and some kicking and punching. About 30-45 minutes a day 3-4 days a week.

To this date i am down to an even 187, thats 16.8 lbs in 1.5 months. weighed myself this morning and i feel better then ever. I would like to get down to 180. The last 7lbs will be rough.

Its amazing what a little excerise and propper aeting will do for you.

< ----------- wuzzzzz uuuup

well the wife just called and let me know the spinning class was full :( ohh well.
Were still gonna head to gym sat. to do some cardio and pupm some more iron.

I definitly feel the results. I can do dips without assistance twice amount of the first time. same with push- ups too. I'm gonna work on my chest and abs now.

Anybody have the "bible for body sculpting book"? Really great stuff in there. Read it everytime i'm in the toilet:ph34r:

ohh and once i finish my jug of whey protein i think i'm gonna move up to something stronger. I cant think of the name but i know it pump up the body temp.,boost matabolism,has some creatine in it as well. A friend of mine is on that stuff and he got bigger within a month. I work harder than he does and have a healtheir diet so i'm sure my result would look more natural.

By that i mean he has bigger arms and chest but he still has a gut and has no definition. i want to be lean and cut. period.

How long has it taken for some of you guys to see physical results?

Last edited:
I started working out 1.5 months ago. My motivation is i am 5'10" and i was 203.8lbs. I had purchased a mountain bike and I could not even ride 3/4 of a mile. I thought i was going to have to call the ambulence. Thats when i started to Diet and work out.

I don't go to the gym i just go home do about 150 jumping jacks, 3 set of 30 crunches and 40lb dumbbells, and some kicking and punching. About 30-45 minutes a day 3-4 days a week.

To this date i am down to an even 187, thats 16.8 lbs in 1.5 months. weighed myself this morning and i feel better then ever. I would like to get down to 180. The last 7lbs will be rough.

Its amazing what a little excerise and propper aeting will do for you.

Congrats.

Funny enough I thought of you today as I was cruising down the NJ Turnpike.

There was a red Audi RS6 cruising, he was blipping the throttle every here and there and taking off effortlessly. It was a beautiful thing.

My supplements nowadays consist of:
ON Whey and Casien protein
Animal Pak
MHP Glutamine
Recreate by USP Labs, which is great for energy.

I used to take Jet Fuel and wooo, that was some shit! haha I'm also a former Redline junkie. Wow, talk about crack in a bottle. Anything that gives me a good boost of energy works.

I had someone ask me at my other job last night what a good "weight loss" pill is. After looking at them and smiling, I told them that working out and proper nutrition is the best "weight loss" pill they will ever need. I use what I use for energy. Screw the weight loss part. There is no "magical pill" as everyone is searching for. Hard work and dedication do wonders. :D

Word. Exactly. It's a boost, mostly caffeine and other jazz in there. Not much else.

I take a fatburner, but I know it just helps with appetite and has caffeine. No magic in it, and its inexpensive so I can burn it all I want.

Congrats.

Funny enough I thought of you today as I was cruising down the NJ Turnpike.

There was a red Audi RS6 cruising, he was blipping the throttle every here and there and taking off effortlessly. It was a beautiful thing.

Ahhh dam ...Such a sweet ride....There is one right down the street from me some high level excec owns it. He barely drives the thing 40mph....It kills me!...

Ahhh dam ...Such a sweet ride....There is one right down the street from me some high level excec owns it. He barely drives the thing 40mph....It kills me!...

This was some kid, couldn't have been older than 20ish, with Florida plates in a bright red RS6. I had never actually seen one cruising on the road before.

Word. Exactly. It's a boost, mostly caffeine and other jazz in there. Not much else.

I take a fatburner, but I know it just helps with appetite and has caffeine. No magic in it, and its inexpensive so I can burn it all I want.

I like how this Recreate I'm taking says something to the effect of "Clinical Weight Loss aid" or something like that. I'm telling you, this stuff is great to wake up and focus. I've tried other things before and this is good stuff. You don't crash off it at all. With Redline I used to crash and never knew it until I would stop taking it once in a while. Jet Fuel is good if you use just one pill (in my experience) at the gym. I have been using the few Jet Fuel pills at the gym (one daily) after work. They have helped wake me up and damn if I my workouts haven't been intense. Then again it helps to go there WITH a plan and attack the SHIT out of the weights. NEVER limit yourself.

With having two jobs nowadays I don't really use the Recreate the proper way, which is supposed to be before a workout and then six to eight hours later. I will take it before I go to work, then either come home or go straight to my second job from there and take it again before I start work, which is usually six to eight hours later. Before going to the gym I will either just have a shake or a shake and if I have it, ONE Jet Fuel.

I took the entire last week from lifting and all supplements besides fish oil and my multi-vitamin.

I put on about 3 lbs, and it seems to have gone straight to my chest, shoulders and arms. I'm digging it. My abs are getting huge, i just need to start doing cardio again and keep a diet regimen.

That makes for a sweet time to take off, Slammed. I've been having some killer, intense workouts after my second job. Go figure, I come home, actually take a shower before I head to the gym 'cause I'm already soaked in sweat, bang it like a champ at the gym and keep on being amazed at some of the weight I have pushed.

Amen for intensity!

I'll be weighing myself and re-measuring my waist this week to see if I have made anymore progress. Update to follow. :D

Damn that blows.

I'm crash dieting before the good weather. I hate it.

Back