worse night ever

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tphan4

so I was driving home from a basketball game tonite while it was pouring out...then cruising about 30 mph ran over a huge puddle....the cold air intake took in some water....then the motor died...shut off on me....knowing very to little about hydro lock.....we didnt turn the engine over but we took the sparks plugs out and turn it over a couple times to get the water out...then after a couple attempts of shooting all the water out we realized a huge hole in the block....something shot a hole about 6 inches by 3 inches in the block....I will post up pictures in the future....and time to put the b18b to rest and part it out...thotd id share my gay night with everyone....

It was probally a rod. When you hydrolock your engine, you suck in a very litle amount of water.Since Liquids are not compressible, the piston goes up, hits the water and since it hits the hard water, the piston still wants to go up but cant, so it bends, and most of the time breaks and goes through the block.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Dec 24 2004, 04:48 AM
It was probally a rod. When you hydrolock your engine, you suck in a very litle amount of water.Since Liquids are not compressible, the piston goes up, hits the water and since it hits the hard water, the piston still wants to go up but cant, so it bends, and most of the time breaks and goes through the block.
[post=436617]Quoted post[/post]​

the rods are visible from standing outside the car....something just shot through and created the wall of the block to break..... i cant figure wat else would shoot through

Good lord. I ran my 4Runner for a full minute with a vacuum line / coolant line switched.

What a sweet, sweet smell.

-> Steve

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Dec 24 2004, 05:05 AM
Sorry to hear about your engine tphan4. The rainfall was something fierce tonight in our area. :(
[post=436633]Quoted post[/post]​

so when is one of ur vehicles for sale martine? :p

Originally posted by tphan4+Dec 24 2004, 12:15 AM-->
94RedSiGal
@Dec 24 2004, 05:05 AM
Sorry to hear about your engine tphan4. The rainfall was something fierce tonight in our area. :(
[post=436633]Quoted post[/post]​

so when is one of ur vehicles for sale martine? :p
[post=436644]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL! You have a great shell. And the only exciting motor I have that you might want is in my sedan.... surely you don't want to leave me without a GS-R motor? :eek: But I'll talk to Matt, he has access to an ITR and a B16 block I think. I don't think that he's read this thread yet.

Man that sucks hardcore...but look at it from an optimistic view...at least when you hit the puddle you didnt hydro-plane and wreck the fuck out of your car...well nevermind..id rather hit something then break my motor...

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Dec 23 2004, 11:52 PM
hydrolock sucks i have lost 3 motors to it now and it still pisses me off
[post=436619]Quoted post[/post]​

a CAI really means that much to you?

time for a gsr swap y0! :D

as for CAI- yeah, i'm not a fan of them either. as it is, with my short ram, if i go through a puddle or see one commoing in, i clutch in to get rid of as much sucktion as possible.

tphan4... Matt PM'd you and you should really take him up on his offer. And ask him how he lived most of his life in Florida (through many hurricane seasons) and never hydrolocked his engine even once in his GS-R coupe! Seriously though, I'm very happy that you and your car are intact otherwise.

Originally posted by importjdmcivic@Dec 24 2004, 06:21 AM
Man that sucks hardcore...but look at it from an optimistic view...at least when you hit the puddle you didnt hydro-plane and wreck the fuck out of your car...well nevermind..id rather hit something then break my motor...
[post=436681]Quoted post[/post]​

yea whats even more ghetto is that since my car is lowered...we couldnt tow it home so I went home grabbed my isuzu rodea and a chain...went back out...took off the front bumper and pulled it home with 3 friends.....ghetto but i wasnt planning on paying $200 for some tow truck to drag my car the way it sits now...

and martine...Matt said to contact him after the 1st...so I prob will to see wassup...

I guess I've been lucky as all hell, I've been through huge puddles about 3" deep without a problem, i just clutch and glide through it.

Leaving the splash guards on also helps I guess.

Originally posted by tphan4@Dec 24 2004, 03:06 PM
yea whats even more ghetto is that since my car is lowered...we couldnt tow it home so I went home grabbed my isuzu rodea and a chain...went back out...took off the front bumper and pulled it home with 3 friends.....ghetto but i wasnt planning on paying $200 for some tow truck to drag my car the way it sits now...

and martine...Matt said to contact him after the 1st...so I prob will to see wassup...
[post=436835]Quoted post[/post]​

No AAA? At least one of you in your group should have it. And always request a flatbed truck.

Yeah, call Matt after the 1st. At least see what all of your options are. Just pick what is best for you and shopping is fun. The shop that Matt works with is cool. Nice Brazilian guys. The two cars that Matt has tuned so far he was pleased with.

i guess i'm a lucky one. i actually survived a hydrolock experience... if you want, just get a short ram next time and switch it out... but that must have been some fucking puddle, because it took water up to the headlights to hydrolock mine... however, mine was idling...

we had quite a fun time... twan sucked out all the water from the cylinders... and it fired up, got an oil change or 3 and drove all the way home from vegas. not too bad.

girl still runs to this day. :)

Back