Worth it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tdg

I found a 99 Civic Si, the first owner apparently got it stolen and they took the motor and gauge cluster; the second owner replaced the motor with the same one except its a 00, then he sold it to the guy thats selling it now.
It checks out; everything is bone stock except for there's an intake in there. everything's clean, it's just that I have never bought a rebuilt title before and wonder if it gets complicated.
He's asking 10K OBO and he's prepared to take 8500, and I am this close to doing it; just need to finalize my loan - i have a lot of cash but need to borrow more; from a credit union not a bank or anything. Just wondering if they care if its a rebuilt title; dunno if they even need to know, ill find out from them tomorrow.
The car checks out, but i'd be the fourth owner. rebuilt title. Jsut makes me a bit nervous. Any thoughts?
This is all gonna be happening quite fast because the first dude to front the money gets it (obviously.)
Any input would be appreciated. I am not exactly a car expert, but i'll have friends look it over more closely but i just wanna read some comments here.

be sure to ask the loan officer if they will loan the money on a car with a rebuilt title cause I don't believe they will on salvaged titles. i may be wrong but it is better to find out now rather than you have the car and no loan.

I'll be sure to find that out.

Other than that my main concern is the condition - - I know very little about the internals of cars, but my friends tell me it checks out. 8500 is a steal for an Si in this great of shape; regardless of its past. I'm sure it would be fine, I guess i'm worried about the loan thing too.
I've never bought a car before and I feel intimidated because I know very little about them especially in comparison to him. Well, I'll be sure to check the car out with some more people that are knowledgable and hopefully the credit union thing works out.
If it comes through ok, you'll see me post here more often because this will be my first Honda.

The thing about the car is value. The kbb value of the car is not nearly what it would be if it had a clean title. Check that online. Are you willing to pay the high price for a car like that? How many miles on the motor? The thing is, its hard for them to find a buyer for a car with a rebuilt title that will pay top dollar, which in turn, if you want to sell it sometime, then you're gonna hava a hard time finding a buyer for the car. I say check the blue book price first.

kbb said it was a little over 10, with the title "branded" not clean...
Any way you slice it, its a great deal for 8500. I can live with the rebuilt title...when youre on the road who cares. i plan on having this car for a while anyway.
Only thing i'm worried about is the damn loan thing...i gotta call them up tomorrow, the suspense is killing me.
What a crazy ass week; it's finals week so school is chaotic, plus i've been working every single day since thursday, and do so every day this week so that's exhausting, plus doing all this loan crap plus the car thing is draining.
I'll be glad once its all over.
If things turn out well I'll have a Si just in time for summer.

dude, i got my Si for 9g's and it's a clean title. i think u would find a clean title one if ur not in a rush. The si ur talkin about it's rebuilt and do u have any idea if the motor is legit or stolen or wut's the actual milage on it. I dink if ur spending dat much money or getting a loan u should get sumthing wit a clean title so that u knoe the motor was put in right.

Clean title for 9? I didn't know it was possible. Was it stock or was it modified?
This one is stock except for the motor and i guess it had new suspension but it's pretty clean. My friend tells me it's fine, but I'll get a second opinion for sure.
Where do you live ? Cuz around here I've never seen one sold for less than 13-14 at a dealer and any private party I've seen sell one was a fixed up one and no way would I buy one that isn't stock (except perhaps a few exceptions like this)
I'll find out more details from dude once I hear back from the loan office.
Let's say the motor checks out, and everything's cool...good deal, right?

Because I've never heard of a nearly stock Si goin for 8500 (he's saying 10 obo but dude said he'd let it go for less)

I would say that the loan will more than likely not go through because I do not believe they will put a lien on a vehicle with a R (rebuilt) title...not positive on it though. As for the price...yea I'd say that $8500 is too much money for a car with a R title to it...as was previously mentioned you can get clean titled SI's for around that price...and an R title seriously depreciates the value of the car so if/when you decide to sell it, you'll never see any money out of it...

The worst part about a car with a rebuilt title is, if you total it the insurance company won't give you much of anything. They claim the car is of as little value as possible and you might get 2 grand out of your 10k SI If people won't loan you the money for it, and the insurance company won't give you that much back if you wreck it, it's probably not worth what you're paying.

But, I have never seen a clean Si for sale. Clean titles maybe, but they were either modified, riced out, or fixed up then put back to stock to look like it was stock.
That's the reason why I am leaning towards this deal. It's worth 8 to me, cuz the car is great, besides I don't care about the title when I'm driving it. I plan on having it for a while anyway.
I live in Snohomish County in WA and i've seen one other stock Si in my life and it was driven by some older guy. Every single other Si i've seen is riced, fixed up, whatever. Thrashed. You know how people beat those cars.
I know this one is alright except for the rebuilt title.
IF the loan goes through i'm really leaning towards getting it.
I don't drive like shit, i'm not a racer, and I'm confident the thing is alright...
I want a clean title but i simply cannot find any. Every Si around here is not stock.
And dealers sell them for 13-14 and that car is not worth that much to me.

Back