Worth the hassle? Xterra transmission replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That would be killer if all it needed was a fluid change/top off.

If the drain and fill helped it than I would suggest a full flush and filter change to get the most life out of it.

Well its gone. The drain and fill did help... me realize that the trans cooler was ruptured. When I first checked the coolant, it looked like it just needed to be changed. After the drain and fill, it was black. Figured that out Friday morning just before jumping in the Jeep to head up to Lake Placid for the weekend.

Half way up there, got a call that someone in the development called complaining about it just sitting there. They said I had the weekend to get rid of it. Made some calls and sold it on. They picked it up early this morning.

It sucks, I planned to just run an external cooler (~$40) and hope for the best, but thanks to people with nothing better to do, I had to punt it. At least I came out ahead.

My biggest thing was it wasn't even a parking issue. There is plenty of parking. It was that it was a "disabled" vehicle. But it was an 03 Xterra. 99% of people would never know it was disabled, unless they saw it come off the flat bed. It didn't have plates on it. That was the only thing identifying it from any other vehicle in the development, that includes a lot of real jalopies.

Not much. It'll cover beer for tonight. But hey, still ahead. Like I said, needed it gone quick. Actually sold it to the same guy that was going to buy it from her. I just haggled for a better price to cover what I put into it. Like I said, I was frustrated that I was on my way north when I was told it needed to be gone before I even was suppose to get back. Had I been around, I could have grabbed a friend's truck and tow dollied it elsewhere. But At least I didn't lose money.

That's way better then the last 4x4 project I took on. Sold that Willys Wagon for about half of what I paid.

Still, I'm getting more and more pissed about the situation as the day progresses. But I'm trying to tell myself that the cross-contamination probably would have shortened the life of the engine/tranny if I could have even got it working correctly. And if that was the only problem.

Last edited:
Well that kind of sucks, I have some neighbors that are the same way. My EF has been sitting for 7-8 months and the bitched about it, I put up a fence and told them to piss off. :D

You came out ahead. Older Xterras are piles. I was just scrolling to the end to tell you to steer clear.

You came out ahead. Older Xterras are piles. I was just scrolling to the end to tell you to steer clear.
What would you recommend as a solid winter 4x4? I absolutely love my dad's 95 Grand Cherokee, but I've heard bad things about them. I'll probably keep my eye on CL for a regular Cherokee unless you sway my opinion.

I'm basically looking for a winter vehicle. I want to be able to throw the boards in it and head to the mountain mostly, but some off-road ability wouldn't hurt. I rarely go, not enough to justify a Wrangler, but it's nice to have something to be stupid in.

It's flexible. I've seen Cherokees on CL anywhere from $1k to $3k, but I have more and would be willing to spend it on the right vehicle.

4Runners are really good. Relaible and capable. My neighbor has an 03' with a bad transfer case that has been sitting for 3 years. I'm going to offer him $1000 for it pretty soon here.

Any Jeep with a 4.0 straight six. Cherokees are better than Grand Cherokees, the later model GC's had a lot of wiring issues that didn't seem to be as apparent in the Cherokees. Older (by 'older' I mean 'nineties') Cherokees are dime a dozen practically, and the 4.0's will run FOREVER. It's hard to kill them, legitimately those fucks just don't stop. They leak from time to time, but the most common oil leak on a 4.0 is the valve cover, and more often than not the bolts have just backed out - you don't even need to replace the gasket, just get a 10mm and crank the bolts back down tight.

I had a 95 or 96 Cherokee that I picked up for a steal on Craigslist, drove it for a few weeks and sold it for twice what I paid for it. I've been toying with the idea of getting another one, but I need to stop buying vehicles.

Try and find an ex-USPS Cherokee. RHD y0!

edit: Older 4.0's were old-style distributor/cap/rotor/plug wires, as opposed to the newer ones that are coil-on-plug (sort of). My preference is the older style distributor ignition, they're easier to work on and diagnose, and less problematic.

The most common problems that I've seen (including the few years I spent working at a Dodge/Jeep dealership) were bad crank sensors, leaking valve cover gaskets, and dirty-ass sticking throttle plates. Easy stuff.

Last edited:
Any Jeep with a 4.0 straight six. Cherokees are better than Grand Cherokees, the later model GC's had a lot of wiring issues that didn't seem to be as apparent in the Cherokees. Older (by 'older' I mean 'nineties') Cherokees are dime a dozen practically, and the 4.0's will run FOREVER. It's hard to kill them, legitimately those fucks just don't stop. They leak from time to time, but the most common oil leak on a 4.0 is the valve cover, and more often than not the bolts have just backed out - you don't even need to replace the gasket, just get a 10mm and crank the bolts back down tight.

I had a 95 or 96 Cherokee that I picked up for a steal on Craigslist, drove it for a few weeks and sold it for twice what I paid for it. I've been toying with the idea of getting another one, but I need to stop buying vehicles.

Try and find an ex-USPS Cherokee. RHD y0!

edit: Older 4.0's were old-style distributor/cap/rotor/plug wires, as opposed to the newer ones that are coil-on-plug (sort of). My preference is the older style distributor ignition, they're easier to work on and diagnose, and less problematic.

The most common problems that I've seen (including the few years I spent working at a Dodge/Jeep dealership) were bad crank sensors, leaking valve cover gaskets, and dirty-ass sticking throttle plates. Easy stuff.

x2

Pre 91's are junk, Renix systems that were also pretty problematic, 98 they switched to the coil-pack, some issuses with them from time to time. Like Wil said the Grands suck ass, wiring and tranny issues.

If the person selling it wont let you tap on the frame rails/floor pan with a small hammer to check for rust then dont but it, that is really the only issue with the XJs.

I was 95% Cherokee. My dad just picked up a 95 GC. I drove it up and back from Lake Placid last weekend. I've taken that trip with everything from my Integra, to my parents old Sequoia. By far, the best trip I've taken. But I've heard they have more issues than the regular Cherokees. Guess I'll start browsing CL at work, see if I can find a good Cherokee. Hell, even if I get a bad one, a new one isn't pricey, haha.

My only complaint with my 01 Cherokee is that the seals between the plastic endtanks and the aluminum core on the radiator blow out when it gets below -40. I replaced it with an all brass radiator, but I doubt you'll have that problem.

I probably wouldn't get one that new anyway, haha. But you're right, if it's -40 out, I'm leaving the area and heading south.

Just hit -50 last night. That's cold even for me.

Back