Worthiness of cam gears

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Just want to know everyones opinions on getting some new cam gears, are they really worth the money and how do you use them to adjust timing? I never fully understood their usage for $400/set...

400/set?! how many cams you got, 5?! Cam gears are dirt cheap...and they are used to adjust the lift of the cams by rotating them + or - degrees. Best used when on a dyno and they can readilt adjust them for optimal performance.

They're just used to advance/retard the camshaft timing in relation to the crankshaft. If you're mostly stock, they'll help some- but if you're running aftermarket cams, they can be very helpful for extracting maximum power. You should be able to get some pretty good ones for about $200 a set. $400 is too high.

sorry. I was tryin to guess how much they were without looking it up, and I guess i picked the wrong price. skunk2s set are 270 for the Si, I over priced them. n/m. :p

Would these help at all on a turbo application? Say on stock cams, edelbrock turbo kit, skunk2 cam gears?

They'll definitely help on a turbo application. You generally want to decrease overlap between the intake and exhaust events on a turbocharged engine so you don't bleed as much boost away as you would with the stock setting, so yes- they can help quite a bit under boost, even with stock cams.

$400 isn't too steep for some makes of cam gears. Some of them are easily that much. I only paid $185 for my Skunk2s brand new though... look around for some sales or group buys, and you should be able to get a set of the same for much less.

Back