would like a swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

heresmyproject

Hi all , I have a 1997 4 door civic LX. I have little automotive mechanical experience, just about all I've done is change the oil. My friend says he has access to all the tools available to perform an engine swap( he can borrow some from his work) and he has done them with his car. I tend to notice that the peoples projects ive found using the search feature on this forum arent 4 door cars, is mine suitable?. Haha i even found this quote
QUOTE(pissedoffsol @ Oct 16 2002, 12:14 AM)
lx = 4 door garbage

Anyway, in the engine swap 101 thread these were listed as the engines that would fit my car:
1. B18C1: Completely bolt-in swap, VTEC needs to be wired.
2. B16A2: Completely bolt in swap, VTEC needs to be wired.
3. B16A3: Completely bolt-in swap, VTEC needs to be wired, OBD Conversion.
4. B18C5: Completely bolt-in swap, VTEC needs to be wired.
5. B18B1: Completely bolt-in swap.
6. B16B: Completely bolt-in swap, VTEC needs to be wired.
7. H22A: Mount kit required, Hasport shift linkage, VTEC needs to be wired.
8. D16Z6: Completely bolt-in, OBD conversion, VTEC needs to be wired.
9. D16Y8: Completely bolt-in, VTEC needs to be wired.

but does that include the 4 door model as well, i dont know if the engine bay sizes are differnet but i know there are some exhaust length issues. If those engines fit my car, out of which would you probably guide me towards. I am thinking the B16A2/3 because of the price range. Also will a new powerful engine negatively affect parts of my car, such as putting extra wear on parts that were not designed for a car with this type of engine?

there's no difference between the 2 and 4 doors in terms of engine swaps. you can probably pick a swap, swap it, and buy an exhaust for a civic lx and that should be fine. good luck.

Originally posted by heresmyproject@Apr 5 2005, 08:57 PM
Hi all , I have a 1997 4 door civic LX. I have little automotive mechanical experience, just about all I've done is change the oil. My friend says he has access to all the tools available to perform an engine swap( he can borrow some from his work) and he has done them with his car. I tend to notice that the peoples projects ive found using the search feature on this forum arent 4 door cars, is mine suitable?. Haha i even found this quote
QUOTE(pissedoffsol @ Oct 16 2002, 12:14 AM)
lx = 4 door garbage

Anyway, in the engine swap 101 thread these were listed as the engines that would fit my car:
1. B18C1: Completely bolt-in swap, VTEC needs to be wired.
2. B16A2: Completely bolt in swap, VTEC needs to be wired.
3. B16A3: Completely bolt-in swap, VTEC needs to be wired, OBD Conversion.
4. B18C5: Completely bolt-in swap, VTEC needs to be wired.
5. B18B1: Completely bolt-in swap.
6. B16B: Completely bolt-in swap, VTEC needs to be wired.
7. H22A: Mount kit required, Hasport shift linkage, VTEC needs to be wired.
8. D16Z6: Completely bolt-in, OBD conversion, VTEC needs to be wired.
9. D16Y8: Completely bolt-in, VTEC needs to be wired.

but does that include the 4 door model as well, i dont know if the engine bay sizes are differnet but i know there are some exhaust length issues. If those engines fit my car, out of which would you probably guide me towards. I am thinking the B16A2/3 because of the price range. Also will a new powerful engine negatively affect parts of my car, such as putting extra wear on parts that were not designed for a car with this type of engine?
[post=483415]Quoted post[/post]​

Here is my swaped four door. It's more fun to kick somebodys ass with a foor door. :p

gallery_8298_210_1104453706.jpg

gallery_8298_210_1104453575.jpg

my friend has a b16 w/boost in his four door. his best time is like 12.5 at like 111mph. he was at 9psi though, his best at 8psi was like 13.1.

four doors are good sleepers, and plus you can still haul friends around.

Originally posted by ef9civicgen4@Apr 5 2005, 11:34 PM
my friend has a b16 w/boost in his four door. his best time is like 12.5 at like 111mph. he was at 9psi though, his best at 8psi was like 13.1.

four doors are good sleepers, and plus you can still haul friends around.
[post=483486]Quoted post[/post]​

he went up 1 lb of boost and gained 0.6 seconds? that's pretty good.

Yup, it's definitely fun to kick someone's ass in a 4 door. The engine bays between the 2/3/4 door bodies in the same generation are identical (except maybe the del Sol).

Originally posted by friz@Apr 5 2005, 11:08 PM
Here is my swaped four door. It's more fun to kick somebodys ass with a foor door. :p

now that is what i can't wait to do with my civic be the four door that kicks ass to bad it doesn't start tho! :(

WHAT IS THE CAR A 4 DOOR EX OR AN LX BECUSE IF YOU HAVE THE EX ITS GONNA MAKE THINGS ALOT SIMPLER JUST REMBER THIS THE EX ARE THE LUCKY ONES IM DOING A SWAP IN MY CAR AND ITS A 4 DOOR LX IM PUTING A LS B18B1 IN MINE SORRY DONT LIKE V-TEC MUCH. I GOT A BUNCH OF INFO ON THAT TYPE OF SWAP. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED IT

SO EX OR LX 4DOOR ?????????? THANKS STEVE

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@Apr 7 2005, 10:25 AM
WHAT IS THE CAR A 4 DOOR EX OR AN LX BECUSE IF YOU HAVE THE EX ITS GONNA MAKE THINGS ALOT SIMPLER JUST REMBER THIS THE EX ARE THE LUCKY ONES IM DOING A SWAP IN MY CAR AND ITS A 4 DOOR LX IM PUTING A LS B18B1 IN MINE SORRY DONT LIKE V-TEC MUCH. I GOT A BUNCH OF INFO ON THAT TYPE OF SWAP. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED IT

SO EX OR LX 4DOOR ?????????? THANKS STEVE
[post=484195]Quoted post[/post]​

its an lx 4 door, thanks steve

thanks for your input everyone! estorvito and friz, what engines are those, and did you have to make any other replacements on the car using the engines you have?(like axle, breaks) also, did you keep your AC? thanks!

Mine is an SiR II B16A which is a direct drop in swap. It came out of a civic to start with so there are no issues making it work. Don't let the v-tec wiring scare you it only amounts to a couple of wires run to the ecu from the engine. Get the complete swap from hmotors to make your life easier. Mine was the JDM engine so I had to modify my old harness and cut parts out of the JDM harness to make it work. Also had to fab up a small bracket for the throttle cable, no biggie though. I started my swap on a friday evening and drove it to work the following monday. I have spent a few hours since improving things. I am very happy with my swap. It is my daily driver so it has to be dependable. I put about 3,000 miles a month on the car and now have 12,000 miles on the swap. Doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes.

just make sure you get a 96 98 motor also makes things alot esier and also your gonna need to get a ex harness or fab your own i got a parts list of every thing youll need. email me and ill give it to you civicgrapimpin@yahoo.com

i got a 96 lx civic puting a 95 integra ls into it hahaha and yes it will pass emissions and doing auto to manual.

thanks steve

thanks 96civic and friz! 96civic - on http://hmotorsonline.com I cant seem to find a b16a thats in that range of year, the latest they have is 95. Will getting a 95 engine present a problem? One of my friends also said I would want more torque than a b16a, but in terms of ease of install and bang for the buck, I think its one of the best choices, especially since this is my first experience with swapping motors. What do you all think?

This is what your looking for. it will fit 96-2000 civic just gonna have to change the plugs from your old harness that go to your ecu and also the cabin harness plug (green one that plugs near the ecu)the reson why is yours is OBDaII and this motor is OBDBII. I would use a 96-98 Integra jdm ecu tho cause your gonna have to take out the immobilizer on this ecu 99-01 have this immobilizer in them so 96-98 will not witch is why i would use the type r ecu also 96-98 plus it will give you some extra power. if your wanting so good old power i would go with the type r b18c 200 hp from the motor alone also those are esay to find in these year models 96-98 but i would go with the 98 b18c if i could find one the honda enginers changed it in 98 and made it better

keep the four doors kickin azz hahaha

let me know what you come up with. thanks steve

Back