wrx questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What's your travel/mileage requirements? the suby's are NOT good on gas. at all.

She only drives about 30 miles round trip daily so the 20-25 out of a wrx is fine. Although I'm sure she will miss the 40 that she gets in my eg

An Asian thing? If one lug to the other covers the span of your hand its 5x100, if its wider than your hand then its 5x114.3?

Nah, I have big hands. The width of my palm across just the 4 fingers is enough to cover the 4.5, so smaller than that would be 100. :) And it's probably more of an engineer thing, wanting to base everything off specs. :D

What's your travel/mileage requirements? the suby's are NOT good on gas. at all.

That's what scared me off- 40k+ miles a year means I need to do well on gas mileage. At least I can still score almost 30mpg on the highway in the S2k, 30+ in the 5, and 20+ in the truck.

The new Subaru crosstrek has caught my eye. Might be a good all around car. Taco what are the specs? Price range? Options? I've only seen one in person so far. It's kinda cool.

Just read some specs. Weak sauce motor around 150/150 on power. Go figure the euro car gets a diesel option bumping torque up 100ft lb...

Guess its a pass for me.

20-25 out of a subby! lol be lucky to hit 18 of a regular basis. with premium fuel.

I'm assuming you are looking for AWD/Good on gas car...really can't beat a 2004ish Audi A4 1.8T. I should have a pic on here of mine getting over 30MPG. Or if you don't care about AWD, a 2006ish Jetta GLI will get the same MPGs, again i may have a pic on here of mine getting that kind of MPG

Just throwing those options out there, both can easily be had in that price range.

I know Wil hates Audis, but we really love the gf's 97 A4. Such a comfortable ride.

I don't like Audi's and Volkswagen's. Jettas have a special hate from me

I trust audis about as much as I trust dickskate workmanship. A car I really like, but would not have one out of warranty.

If you do want an Audi my parents have a 2003 a4 Quattro loaded its the v6. Was a $40k car, it's worth about 6500 now. They haven't been able to sell it, not a single hit at $8000

I also had an A4 with the 3.0, older body style.

Audi is a great example of why someone should lease.

Crosstreks are REALLY good but you will have to up your budget. I can you one for cheap but it's still in the low 20's. My buddy, sales manager and service manager get about 28 epa.

A wrx is an excellent choice and no matter what many people say they are very reliable as long as you don't run it low on oil. :lol: Only major issue I would swap immediately would be the oil pickup tube on the 04-05 and 06-07. 06-07's had minor wastegate crack issues but it didn't hinder performance per say.....it was most common on the V39 (Sti turbo)

My Wrx gets about 22-23 on premium and mine is around the 320hp range tuned for 91 pump.....cali story.

The new ones can easily see the same if not more but just like any turbo car you need to watch boost levels :lol:

Trans issues are NOT an issue. Only when you start getting to 400 AWHP range do the 5 speeds start getting beat on if you race. Sti's are almost bullet proof. Since this is for your girl i would'nt even worry about it at all.

When looking for then just get on them and look for the normal stuff you would in any other car.
fluids - colors
check downpipe and turbo to make sure it's stock.
DO A COMPRESSION CHECK!!!!

give me a few....i'll be back :lol:

also, nothing against the other brands but Subaru's AWD to me is by far the best.
maintenance is cheaper too!!

symmetrical AWD like a Subaru and cheaper to maintain?
I'm sure it's a great vehicle but overall the Subaru to me is the most budget friendly for the long haul.

not just because I sell them :lol:

maybe with your foot down all the time.

with my stage 2 WRX (downpipe, ECU reflash), my car averages 22mpg, light highway driving ive seen as high as 30 mpg.

older WRX 5sp trans are a bit weak once you start dipping into stage 2 power levels and beyond. ive seen guys toast them at 300 whp. but i also believe that if you arent dumping the clutch at 5k and doing launches all the time, you might be OK. personally i probably wouldnt buy a used WRX unless it has an impeccable service history. its entirely too easy to be lax with maintenance and have things go downhill very quickly. ive seen many many MANY guys mod the piss out of their relatively new cars, beat the nuts out of it, and then return it to stock and trade it in. and the new owner is none the wiser with a car that may have impending failures.

Last edited:
well said.

I've seen a 5 speed finally go out after 400hp but you're right about dumping the clutch....

a big no no in my book when dealing with an AWD. I roll mine a bit and let it go......jeebus christ i've never felt anything like it coming from the Honda world. :cool:

I can't wait to retune and go for the 380 mark

im not that easy on mine, but i have the oil changed at the dealer every 3K and have had 30/60/90k services all performed by IAG (they do more than the dealer would, cheaper). it still runs great. dare i say almost like new.

will get the timing belt done at 105K (IAG) also.

i usually dont shell out for the 15k interval services because its mostly inspections and tire rotation. not much needs replacing on the 15k intervals. the 30k intervals are the important ones IMO.

yeah the 30k is pretty much plugs. other stuff is regular oil, cabin filter and what not...
i just thought of this....

can you get a sample of his oiland sent to the lab for metal analysis? Thats the nerdy but safe way of seeing what's going on inside the block.

I can't stress enough how awesome and reliable they are when you change the oil when they need to be changed :lol:

i saw consistent averages of about 31mpg out of my forester (non turbo though)
and that was with the head gaskets leaking. shitty mounts, old fuel filter, and slacking on the oil change

just finished pulling the engine and doing all of the gaskets, new clutch, sti mounts, filters, etc. im thinking (hoping) it bumped the mpg's up. still on full atm so time will tell.

cant wait to save up and buy a xt. i really have no desire for an impreza of any kind.
the room and functionality of a small suv (actually classed as a wagon for the early models) just beats a "race me every time i stop at a light" kind of ride. and the foresters look damn sexy when done right.

Back