WTB:single cam header

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StealthMode

Kung Foolin'
hey guys, i'm looking to get a d series header, cause i think that's a big reason my car bogs so much. when i swapped the head, i had to use the same (CX) exhaust manifold cause the catilytic (sp?) converter is right below the manifold. i'm in the market for a header, and maybe a high flow cat if anyone has one.

either pm me or send me an email: egminime@msn.com

thanks

ok i've noticed some of the "off brands" for only about $100 or sometimes even less. what do you think about them? would there be a diff between one of those and say, a dc sports header? that would be best for my budget, but would it be a bad choice to get one, performance, reliability or quality-wise?

also, what would be better, 4-2-1, or maybe a 4-1? what's the difference? :blink:

generally the 4-2-1 designs are looking to keep some of your low end torque (what little there is). the 4-1 designs are designed to flow better at mid-top end.

yeah i'll need whatever low end i have. what about the ebay ones, though? would you say they are good or bad? quality, reliability, etc?

most of the cheapie knockoff headers on ebay (like the 'dc-s' style) are advertised as being stainless construction, although its not any kind of good grade stainless- it's called carbon stainless which is an alloy of low-grade stainless and regular carbon steel. The corrosion properties are slightly better than regular steel, but not by much. So basically within a year or two your header will look all nasty & rusty just like regular steel exhaust piping thats a few years old.

On the other hand, one friend of mine went out and spent over $1,100 on a full stainless performance exhaust (supposedly good quality stuff-DC Sports,etc) and it turns out that none of the flanges or anything are stainless, just the tubing itself- so all the flanges and shit are all rusty anyways.

Guess thats just one more price you pay for living in NY tho... :thumbsdown:

huh but how are they performance wise? i don't know if i will be getting one for sure, it just depends on how fast and cheap i can get a turbo kit. if it's going to be a long time, then i'll get one, but if i can get a turbo kit for cheap and jesus loves me enough then i will be boosted soon. some of the guys on sohchonda.com are talking of putting togethter a turbo kit for around 500. that would be exciting

i got one of the ebay headers on my d, its actually pretty good quality...the welds are nice and strong, they have a nice bead all the way aorund. i got a ceramic coated "dc-s"

took off my stock manifold and downpipe and this one bolted right up, lined right up with everything. took about 45 minutes.

one thing, theres like 4 brackets holding u stock manifold on, the header has no mounts for them tho, and honestly it doesnt need the brackets so dont worry about not using them. u will actually have to take one of them off the car, the one right down by the cat..its kinda sorta in the way, take it right out.

anyway, i noticed a performnace difference..but with d series u can feel any difference. i was happy with spending 100 bucks for what a i got.

lowandslow- do they use salt on the roads where you live? how long have you had that header on there? I've been thinking of getting one of those cheapie ebay ones just for now, I don't plan on keeping my d much longer anyways- prolly another year or so. I figure I'll be good & bored with the d by then, plus I'm getting an older B18 real cheap in the next couple of months so I'll be buiding that over next winter...

Back