wtf does thsi mean?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

when trying to delete a file

even rar'ed it to delete it, and it still won't delete.

its ot a virus- its an mp3 i streamed from di.fm

CRC means the data in the file is skewed.

scandisk, then try to delete. it will recover the file as a bad chain into a "foundxxx.tmp" or something alike.

it happens alot when you use old media like 10yr old floppies n shit. the mylar inside breaks down.

or...you can go into ms dos and try and delete it in that. MS DOS will usually delete any file you want
(at least it does for me, with files I download that some moron makes a filename thats like a mile long, and it wont delete in windows cause it says the file name is too long, so i had to do it in ms dos)

Never heard of getting a CRC error during a file delete... Why would Windows need to CRC check a file that's being deleted anyway? :p Go to a command line and do a chkdsk /r /f and reboot. Then try again.

I've had that happen before B... the FAT for that partition gets slightly fucked, and there's corruption in the file- maybe from a failed deletion before that killed only some of the file. Just call a scandisk from bootup before you go into your OS and it should fix the error.

Back