WTF happend to my brakes!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sem40138

Just when i thought i fixed everything; my '93 civic's brakes locked up or something. All i know is it started with me having to sit at a light for a long time cause of a train. Then when the light turned green and i let off the brakes and hit the clutch and gas, the car acted like it didn't want to go. I revved up the motor and then popped the clutched and then it stated going but it was struggling to just hit 35mph. I had about .25-.5 miles to drive with the hazards on at 35 before i could pull over. while i was waiting for a chance to pull over i noticed that the brake pedal was really hard and i noticed it was cause it was already all the way down. When i pulled over the first thing i checked was the pedal and i didn't see anything keeping it locked and all of a sudden it just released itself. When i got back into the car and drove home i noticed that the pedal was now traveling a lot further before it would activate the brakes. I replaced the master cylinder maybe 2 yrs ago so i don't know where to start. I feel like this car is just cursed, it's stumped even the best mechanics.

well I had the same thing happen. except the peddle stayed stuck down. it never released until I found out the cause. Take off your front calipers, and compress the piston back into the caliper. you may need to replace the gasket around the cylinder. basically what happened with mine is that I let my pads go WAY too long, and they eventually wore down to the metal when that happened the piston in the caliper had over extended and wouldn't go back in. It only happened on the right side with me but I ended up replacing both pads, and basically "rebuilding" my calipers. I replaced all the gaskets, the bolts that held them on, and regreased the cylinders, and caliper bolts. Its worth a shot.

well i talked to a couple of my friends and they said that it sounds like the piston in the master cylinder got stuck, which accounts for the brakes locking up and the pedal getting stuck and also why after the pedal finally came back up the brakes functioned but the pedal sank down a lot further than it did before the pedal got stuck. Seeing how i've got a lifetime warranty for the cylinder i went and got another one, actually i got my money back for the old one and got a brand new one for 10 dollars more. they didn't tell me when i bought the first one that it was a reman; that's the second car i've had the reman cylinder go bad prematurely.

Back