WTF is up with the gas prices lately?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
I bet we're at $5.28 a gallon at the end of the summer..... :mad:

just wait till chief dip shit signs us up to invade iran. your price doesn't sound too far off.

don't blame me, i voted for nader.

crude is up...
unstable markets = price fluc's out the ass
and of course they need to pay that 400 million retirement package... :rollseyes:

around here its been going up pretty fast

2 weekends ago was 2.79, last weekend was 2.93, yesterday i got it for 3.19

:cry:

it was $1.99 at arco two months ago

The problem is it isn't standard supply and demand, we're chained to a system is regulated like a stock price, only the up and down are revesrsed (worries about a tight market make prices go up rather then down)

Add to that the fact that China and India use as much oil today as the entire world did in 2000 and we're hosed :-(

Yeah, I dropped $10 into my tank with a 1/4 left. It usually gets me to about 3/4 to almost full.

Got me to 1/2 a tank. This shit is getting bananas.

Peak Oil. it has nothing to do with Bush, it has nothing to with Iran, it has nothing to do with Sheiks and Emirs the world over.

Everyone is going to hurt.

the China / India / Pakistan thing is what you really have to look at . It's not that we are running out of oil, its that there is no new oil out there. That's it, it's the end of "cheap" oil. you have, we all have, been WAY Spoiled at how cheap this energy comes. My house consumes enough "energy" daily that my car does (And it's a Honda!) getting to the store.

Energy used to be readily available and dirt cheap. that's not the case anymore.

I'll go down a few key items, then if you have questions I'll go into them more:

Does Bush know the scoop? Yeah, he does. He knew the scoop when he was 15 and his family's first dregs started going dry. This is a finite thing. Does he stand to gain ? not directly. Does he want his country to have cheap oil for the masses ? You bet YOUR ASS. That's a personal gain right there. His buddies in industry want the US populace to be rich and spend spend spend. they want to sell cars, homes and electronics. Bush wants us to pay little for oil because if China or India or -gasp- a muslim country, should pass up and become #1 we're DOOMED. All of his business interests are doomed. Bush is on our side, if not for our exact reasons, he's still on our side.

You're going to see all sorts of lies coming out now about who is to blame. I predicted this in 1999. Right now they are blaming Ethanol blending. Ethanol blending devices take approximately 1 hour to activate and get through the lines. They are blaming everything they can. They blame the hurricane last year (Yet when other hurricanes hit in the past, you didn't hear shit about it! Hmmmm... And why is it that this is the first year we are hearing about this Ethanol shit?) They lie. They are lying through their teeth. Bloomberg actually points out a lot of their lies (Even for my hatred of Bloomberg, he's a financial whiz). Gas prices do NOT fluctuate with markets. When a market goes up, it takes 3 months for that price to reflect on the market. But when the markets go up, the oil companies immediately go up - and when they go down they give this "It'll take months for the prices to go down, because our prices are so far behind". They blame the private investor on it's Market Speculation. They Blame Iran conflicts even though iran isn't cutting production, Iran WON'T cut production, and Iran will die, financially, without 50% of America's buying of their oil. They are lying, using "excuse of the week".

next week it will be "Natalie Holloway is still missing, and Aruban boats and search squads are using all of the oil. It's a temporary high in prices, sorry".

China is purchasing a ton of oil. China is full of lies though, god knows where it's all going. The average Chinese STILL can't afford a car, and chinese homes are still for the most part the same as they were 50 years ago. And this Chinese population thing is spooky too - because as long as I remember they were supposedly limited to 1 child per household, in order to bring their numbers down. Now the US has seen a decrease in population in that time, why is China continuing to grow at this sick pace ? I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, but I am saying that it makes no damned sense.

And obviously gas prices in the US are still dirt cheap. Like, dirt cheap. We (Collective guys, come on) continue to dominate the world in SUV sales and ownership, and fewer and fewer motorcycles are hitting the roads. SUV after goddam SUV. And we don't need them at all. This is the US's problem. That and it's constant computer-on, TV-on, lights-on status. We have got to realise that we are running out of not only gas at the pumps, but we are running out of energy - period.

I used to fear China taking our Oil purchasing power, but now I don't even care. If I converted an Insight to e-85 / alcohol blend or Rice blend, put up a small private windmill, I could drive all year long on a single acre of fields. And I think that the future of consumption should take into account a means to re-introduce that power. So that, say, you need to own an acre of farmland to run that car (Or something of that like.. sponsor an underwater current-mill in order to operate a car and shit like that).

Cheap oil or not, it IS running out. I believe that if we start now, by the time the REAL crash happens we'll already be out of the game. in 2001 Iceland folded their hand, cashed in their chips and decided that crude oil markets and fields are complete bullshit. because of their industrious and non-fearing decision, they will be on top when the world oil crash finally DOES happen in 50 years.

Owning a Honda is a start, but we have all got to do a little more. Because we can either sink or swim in the new world of $5 gas, and I prefer to swim. Because I'll be the only motherfucker on the road or in the air when the usual lumpen proletariat is stuck at home not being able to afford their $500 a month heating or power bill.

Nooch.

-> Steve

Recap: My honda requires more fuel to get me 2 miles away than my House consumes in 1 day.

Bush needs us to have full tanks of cheap gas as much as we need it. He's truly on our side on this one

China has a right to join the international community, but if they start buying our shares of oil (Because we use less) than when the oil markets get better, that oil will no longer be available to us. If we stop buying, China will - and china won't stop. China will make it mandated that people get more cars, they aren't afraid.

Oil companies are making record profits. This is because of a very standard business supply practice of taking not a dollar off the top for profits, but taking a certain percentage off the tops. This is how they did it. It's not evil, it's not illegal. It's the way that all business runs.

This year you will see $5 gas but you will see it because of other reasons. We still have a very busy hurricane season for them to use as an excuse to immediately fleece the populace on prices.

I think it's time I study and build another "Walters Civic"...there has to be a reason that car got 75mpg... :ph34r:

you know we can bitch and complain about the gas prices all we want but there is nothing that we can do about it. quit bitching about it and just pay the price...

Quoted post[/post]]
This is how they did it. It's not evil, it's not illegal. It's the way that all business runs.

Right before...

Te still have a very busy hurricane season for them to use as an excuse to immediately fleece the populace on prices.

:ph34r:

We brought a LOT of this on ourselves. First W went and blew up a bunch of stuff and subsequently pissed off the part of the world that supplies the majority of our gas (now Cel, you can go all con on me all day and night, but you MUST admit that this is part of the reason dino juice is expensive). Secondly, we have outsourced a *LOT* of jobs and moved a *LOT* of plants and buildings overseas. India and China particuarly. Well, if those guys get paid decent loot and need to get to and from work every day, how are they gonna do it? Same way as us... hop in the car and roll. Add to that the costs of running a nation that is quickly becoming industrialized and modern and you can see why energy costs are out of control.

Is W mad that gas is so damn expensive? Of course he is... it affects his approval rating and gives the entire country a bit of a pissed off attitude. On the other hand he's crying crocodile tears when his family sees their stock portfolio every month.

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't. Where's my still, I'm converting to alcohol!

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
This is how they did it. It's not evil, it's not illegal. It's the way that all business runs.

Right before...

Te still have a very busy hurricane season for them to use as an excuse to immediately fleece the populace on prices.

:ph34r:

We brought a LOT of this on ourselves. First W went and blew up a bunch of stuff and subsequently pissed off the part of the world that supplies the majority of our gas (now Cel, you can go all con on me all day and night, but you MUST admit that this is part of the reason dino juice is expensive

What about Canada and the UK and Germany, where prices are classically WAY higher than ours ? They went up on their prices too. This is not a U.S. vs Them thing, this condition exists on the world as a whole. The 70's OPEC US Embargo - THAT was US only. Not this, this is global. I don't see people mother-fucking Carter for getting us into the OPEC embargo, do I?

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't. Where's my still, I'm converting to alcohol!

By all means ! If you can make so much as a go-kart and fuel it with alcohol that you make yourself - I will regard you as a hero. Do it ! Shit build anything that runs on a fuel that you grow and are responsible for. I welcome it

you may not like Bush, which I know you don't - But you can't blame everything on him. You simply can't. If all of the problems that are blamed on Bush are actually Bush - then his schedule would be FULL of diabolical plans and evil scheming from his underground lair. Fortunately, he merely doesn't have the TIME to do 1/8th the shit he's blamed of doing. nor his office, nor his appointees.

remember, these are all about votes, it's not a hierarchy like all the countries moonbats seem to adore.

And clarification of my love/hate of the oil companies - They are run like a business. My company has been known to not solve problems or even create problems if it will make them money in the future. Every business is guilty of this in one way or the other (Even lots.. and I mean looooots of non-profits). But, the real thing we can zots the oil industry on is the WAY that they increase prices instantly, and those high prices wear right off.

Remember, Disney gave Eisner a far more lucrative severance package (After being with the company for 6 months) than Exxon gave their president for his retirement.

There is evil afoot - with all of these scumbags from the Presidency to your local corner-gas-station. But the evil isn't as great as you may think.

On top of that, I can't WAIT for the end of oil.

Quoted post[/post]]
What about Canada and the UK and Germany, where prices are classically WAY higher than ours ? They went up on their prices too. This is not a U.S. vs Them thing, this condition exists on the world as a whole. The 70's OPEC US Embargo - THAT was US only. Not this, this is global. I don't see people mother-fucking Carter for getting us into the OPEC embargo, do I?

Oh I'm aware of fuel costs in other countries. How we got our badass deal on oil... well we're America, that's how. No need to beat around the bush on that fact.

By all means ! If you can make so much as a go-kart and fuel it with alcohol that you make yourself - I will regard you as a hero. Do it ! Shit build anything that runs on a fuel that you grow and are responsible for. I welcome it

I'm actually working on converting a tiny 2-cycle engine (a tad over 1HP) for use on a bicycle. It'll get me all around the city and its outskirts and at three to four hundred MPG, ya can't go wrong! Sure I could buy a moped or scooter but it's cheaper this way and I like building things.

you may not like Bush, which I know you don't - But you can't blame everything on him. You simply can't. If all of the problems that are blamed on Bush are actually Bush - then his schedule would be FULL of diabolical plans and evil scheming from his underground lair. Fortunately, he merely doesn't have the TIME to do 1/8th the shit he's blamed of doing. nor his office, nor his appointees.

It's called a "secure undisclosed location", not a lair. And it belongs to Cheney :laugh:

I don't blame him for everything but I do blame him for his mistakes. Gotta admit he's made a few. So has every president. I don't like the way he deals with the economy and I REALLY don't like the way he deals with the rest of the world.

remember, these are all about votes, it's not a hierarchy like all the countries moonbats seem to adore.

And clarification of my love/hate of the oil companies - They are run like a business. My company has been known to not solve problems or even create problems if it will make them money in the future. Every business is guilty of this in one way or the other (Even lots.. and I mean looooots of non-profits). But, the real thing we can zots the oil industry on is the WAY that they increase prices instantly, and those high prices wear right off.

And that's the problem. A company that is willing to MAKE problems to turn a profit. That's like Honda building an engine that will deliberately self destruct in 5 years so they can get you to buy another car. That would fly like a brick. I don't like that concept and I don't like the belief that it is all hunkey dorey for companies to do this.

One of those companies is gonna fuck up BIGTIME and it's gonna cost us all. Then perhaps the peoples' view will change. Probably the same way Chernobyl did, both in view changing and in effect on the world.

Remember, Disney gave Eisner a far more lucrative severance package (After being with the company for 6 months) than Exxon gave their president for his retirement.

There is evil afoot - with all of these scumbags from the Presidency to your local corner-gas-station. But the evil isn't as great as you may think.

On top of that, I can't WAIT for the end of oil.

Evil is evil. It may not be "big" but it is everywhere.

I can't wait for the end of oil either. I just hope that the treehuggers are right in saying that it'll all be gone in less than 20 years. Wish I could get an exact date on that... I'd just sit back at home, smoke a fat doob, drink some bourbon and watch the fireworks on TV.

OPEC: Ummm... guys... it's all gone.

WORLD: Shit.

Back