WTF is up with the gas prices lately?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

3.49/gallon for 91 here on the coast. It sucks but oh well.

The real problem I see here is space travel. We could very likely find ourselves trapped on this planet for hundreds of years without the energy to continue a space program.

Diesels could work.. if you can get them over the initial weight of the amount that would be needed to lift off into space. Electric motors won't lift a satellite.

If we do this right we'll have windpower up everywhere. Like, everywhere. You won't be able to look out upon a field and not see at least one windmill. They will be high above the cities, they will be poking out of ocean waters. We'll have so many solar panels above cities that the heat is actually reflected out, negating the effects of the missing ozone layer. We will have under-water current mills endlessly churning along, and power string buoys in the Harbors generating power whenever the waves start or a boat goes by.

We'll wear sneakers that generate small bits of power when we walk to power our cell phones and our cars will have hand or foot pedals that we can occasionally spin to operate the motor. We can't beam a string of coherent molecules through teleportation, but we can move elements via teleportation and that will only get better. We'll have no more trucking, but instead hydrogen will be beamed to gas stations. Shipping will continue on the oceans and statically induced ground-effect flight will be free and possible through ocean based current-driven Tesla coils that power passing ships and planes.

this could be VERY neat.

Or, we could use Coal to power everything, continue the earth into an environmental nightmare, take over the oil supplies militarily and be the #1 target of every nation in the world either for killing all the muslims or for being the #1 status and resource provider.

Where we go from there will be up to you as voters.

And if you can remember my post in 2004, Republicans would make the switch to alternative fuels longer and more drawn out - and they have. Were Kerry in, we would be seeing $6 gas RIGHT NOW and would have been since 2002.

Quoted post[/post]]
The real problem I see here is space travel. We could very likely find ourselves trapped on this planet for hundreds of years without the energy to continue a space program.

Why in the world do you think we need a *SERIOUS* push to get permanent installations on the moon? That rock is COVERED in He3... enough to power this planet for about ten thousand years. And that's just with what we've found on the surface. Go deeper. Heck, go to Mars. That's a whole new planet filled with all sorts of natural resources and real estate. From there it's just a jump to the asteroid belt which is also chock full of goodies.

We need off this planet. We need off this planet now.

Diesels could work.. if you can get them over the initial weight of the amount that would be needed to lift off into space. Electric motors won't lift a satellite.

Good friggin luck. The most effective (and cheapest) way to produce the amount of thrust you need to break this planet's gravitational pull is nitrous oxide and rubber. The same goodness that sent SpaceShipOne into LEO. Once you leave the atmosphere, ion drives can do most of what's left.

We also need to retire the Shuttle. Not because of all the hub bub that's been going around about blocks of foam (although that is a problem), but because they don't serve the purpose we need. We need a craft that takes off and lands like a conventional plane but can enter orbit. Stop strapping people to skyscraper sized rockets.

If we do this right we'll have windpower up everywhere. Like, everywhere. You won't be able to look out upon a field and not see at least one windmill. They will be high above the cities, they will be poking out of ocean waters. We'll have so many solar panels above cities that the heat is actually reflected out, negating the effects of the missing ozone layer. We will have under-water current mills endlessly churning along, and power string buoys in the Harbors generating power whenever the waves start or a boat goes by.

We'll wear sneakers that generate small bits of power when we walk to power our cell phones and our cars will have hand or foot pedals that we can occasionally spin to operate the motor. We can't beam a string of coherent molecules through teleportation, but we can move elements via teleportation and that will only get better. We'll have no more trucking, but instead hydrogen will be beamed to gas stations. Shipping will continue on the oceans and statically induced ground-effect flight will be free and possible through ocean based current-driven Tesla coils that power passing ships and planes.

Cel...

We can't beam anything. Heissenberg says that's a no-no. Actually we have been able to teleport a beam of light from one place to another, but that deals with massles photons, not molecules and particles with mass. We can also transfer the quantum state of an atom from one to another without a physical link, which is neat. But don't expect to beam up to the Enterprise anytime soon.

Also where a Tesla coil can emit a GIGANTIC amount of power, it isn't much use to "beam" power to things that pass by. Tesla was working on that though and some people say that he deliberately left out information on how to direct the output of a Coil because it could be used as an immensely deadly weapon (Tes hated war, he wanted to end it, that was one of the original purposes of the Tesla Coil, besides creating Saint Elmo's Fire across an entire city... municipal plumbing makes a GREAT ground :) )

What we need is to stop being scared and use nuclear power. Technology has advanced well enough to make nuke power safe and (relatively) clean. Once we start harvesting He3 from the moon, then we move to fusion power. Fusion plants could power everything from cars to spacecraft.

Where we go from there will be up to you as voters.

And if you can remember my post in 2004, Republicans would make the switch to alternative fuels longer and more drawn out - and they have. Were Kerry in, we would be seeing $6 gas RIGHT NOW and would have been since 2002.

And we'd be wearing turbans and worshipping Allah. Heard that story before. C'mon, you have no idea where we'd be with Kerry in office. Nobody does.

Photons are a physical massive object when observed. I'm not saying move ME to the moon through teleportation.. just the simple elemental atoms. He3 fits that bill quite nicely. I have no reason to dismiss this from a realm of possibility.

there have been lots of very efficient ways to get to space though - the space elevator for one. Brilliant idea, refined to work.

I'll tell ya somethign that kills me - the gas prices have been out in the open, it's the Electric bill I received this month that blows my mind. Same usage as last month, twice the price. It's now averaging me $200 a month to heat my place, (AVERAGE!) and now my electric bill doubled. That'll kill me way more than high prices at the pump.

-> Steve

Quoted post[/post]]
Photons are a physical massive object when observed. I'm not saying move ME to the moon through teleportation.. just the simple elemental atoms. He3 fits that bill quite nicely. I have no reason to dismiss this from a realm of possibility.

It still can't be done. Heisenberg states that one cannot assign values to certain pairs of observable variables of a single elementary particle at the same time even with infinitely precise instruments. Basically you can measure position or momentum of an elementary particle, but not both. And both you need when wanting to teleport something without a physical link. Beyond that we have barely touched matter - energy - matter conversion. It's no problem turning matter into energy, we do that all the time. Controlling the conversion and, most importantly, getting it back together the way it should be (think the Fly) is a bit of a daunting task.

Photons are a quirky little subject. Most physicists believe that a photon has zero mass, however putting that up against Einstein proves that it doesn't work that way. It is possible however that a photon has no mass at rest, but we have no possible way of measuring that as of yet.

Even though we are much more complex than a Helium-3 molecule, the He3 is still made of elementary particles like us and fall under the same scope.

there have been lots of very efficient ways to get to space though - the space elevator for one. Brilliant idea, refined to work.

I'll tell ya somethign that kills me - the gas prices have been out in the open, it's the Electric bill I received this month that blows my mind. Same usage as last month, twice the price. It's now averaging me $200 a month to heat my place, (AVERAGE!) and now my electric bill doubled. That'll kill me way more than high prices at the pump.

-> Steve

The space elevator is a neat concept. I hope to see that thing built.

And yes, utility bills are horrendous these days.

Quoted post[/post]]

Photons are a quirky little subject. Most physicists believe that a photon has zero mass, however putting that up against Einstein proves that it doesn't work that way. It is possible however that a photon has no mass at rest, but we have no possible way of measuring that as of yet.

And here we have Quantum physics ... or Quantum Mystics ... in a nutshell. Measured ? Nope, can't do it. Or measure of "small" is so out of league for what is needed to measure subatomic particles it's ridiculous to even attempt. We can't measure, but we can observe.

good thing i dont drive yet and dont have to pay fo gas.....but i bet when i do even if i drive a honda it will be 8 bucks a gallon :mad: screw gas prices......if cars ran off piss...we'd be set

I'll save my time by not reading all that Celer-a-talk. All I got to say, is this shit is ridiculous. That is all.

i cant believe the uncertainty principle came up on HS....where has this board gone....we used to have thoughtless honda freaks. Now we are having discussions on quantum physics.

God help us if we get into M-Theory.

Quoted post[/post]]
i cant believe the uncertainty principle came up on HS....where has this board gone....we used to have thoughtless honda freaks. Now we are having discussions on quantum physics.

God help us if we get into M-Theory.

Ahh, the multiverse. Now that's fun.

no...not a thread on theoretical physics....the true geek in me will show through...i just want to be an ass hole.

PLEASE LET ME JUST BE AN ASSHOLE.

youre right...i dont have the heart for it......FUCKER

2.96 last time i drove by the Mobil station. Ive read and heard on teh news that some expect it to go as high as 6 bucks by mid summer, maybe getting as high as 7.

I love my 30mpg around town

man, i remember back int eh day when i first started driving, it was 1 dollar for a gallon of gas. shit someone tosses you 5 bucks for driving them home from school, or from wherever to wherever, shit thast almost 1/2 my tank!!!! lol, im paying myold full tank price for a little more than 1/2 a tank now.

i know...i wanna get a civic just for the MPGs...my prelude likes to go fast and drink gas (check the rhyme YO)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_fuel

I highly doubt that a diesel will get into space, but the diesel fuel might...but I highly doubt that to....

and if there is no oil...then no gas or diesel....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel

Back