wtf is up with the weather.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Blue skies here again.

The sun is setting alarmingly fast though. I've never been able to observe the sun move a shadow 6 inches during one cig break.

I'm sure it's in my mind - the sun setting at a different rate means the solar system is destroyed. but still, I found it odd.

all my life i never saw shooting stars, but over the last 2 years i've seen an astounding amount of them...

we're getting some flurries today, thats about it though, very disappointing

Well yeah, the increased amount of "shooting stars" or meteor showers was predicted to be high now, even going back to gregorian studies. So no worries there.

Unless one happens to hit us.

And during this stormy period, of course, we have a way larger chance of being hit than not.

We're due for an asteroid impact in 20 years. It's got a 1 in 30,000 (or something ridiculously low) chance of hitting us. It's currently calculated to come within moon orbit, significantly within moon orbit. It WILL cause catastrophic flooding, earthquakes, and a global weather change that's permanent.

And that's if we're lucky.

Send money to NASA for it's Comet Research program. They have been experimenting actively with celestial bodies and how to change their orbits / destroy them. They have about 20 years to get it right.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]2006 XG1 [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Earth Impact Table[/FONT][/SIZE]
Date
YYYY-MM-DD.DD
2041-10-31.75

Energy
(MT)
1.60e+04

i think 1.60e+04 MT = 16000 megatons of TNT

It has been calculated that the energy required to produce the Barringer crater was equivalent to the explosion of 15 million tonnes of TNT. As the Tswaing crater is slightly smaller than the Barringer crater, we shall assume that the energy of the explosion there was equivalent to 10 million tonnes of TNT. This happens to match the energy calculated to have been released in the Tunguska airburst event in Siberia in 1908. The Tswaing impact energy release also matches the power of the first US hydrogen (fusion) bomb, codenamed "Mike", exploded at Eniwetok on 31 October 1952. It is one third the power of the largest Soviet test bomb, which had a yield of 58 Megatons, and was dropped on Novaya Zemla on 31 October 1961. However, 10 Megatons is 500 times the power of the 20 kiloton atomic (fission) bomb that devastated Hiroshima on 6 August 1945, killing about 150 000 people.

the largest nuke yielded 58 megatons, and this would yield 16000 megatons? is my math right?

these orbit app's are fun
Orbit Simulation
closest "near impact" listed from jan 2, 2007

Last edited:
Yup. It's a near extinction event. People on the opposite side of the planet may survive for a while.

However, I tracked out the asteroid on that java app, and found it be a complete and total miss for that date.

it has some blurb about being designed for 2 bodies only or some shit and should not be used for long term orbits, and it has a link to a high accuracy orbit calculator which only gives numbers, no cool graphics

We got another 8 inches, while on the job, that sucked. I'm off for the day though. We just called it.

well we got about 2 inches in an hour today, it was fucking BALL SACK FALL OFF COLD outside mainly because it was windy as hell.

6-10 inches forecasted for tomorrow. 60% Chance of snow for Tuesday... hopefully it doesn't snow because I gotta go to Progressive at 1...

its gloomy as hell out, cloudly, no blue sky... but no snow. f the weather man.

yeh im in manch, nh we have about 1 1/2 of ICE, not snow, not fuckin rain... ICE, it blows so bad, everything is covered in it, fucken new england weather blows

yeh im in manch, nh we have about 1 1/2 of ICE, not snow, not fuckin rain... ICE, it blows so bad, everything is covered in it, fucken new england weather blows

id LOVE to have ice... then i wouldnt have to come to the office:)

Back