WyoTech

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

integraenthusiest

I am thinking about going to WyoTech sometime in the near future. One of the courses i am definately going to take would be high performance engine building. I am also going to take either the custom paint course or the auto body course, but not sure which. Do u guys think that WyoTech is a good place to go to learn this stuff or would u suggest someplace else? And also which one of the three courses are the most in demand right now. I am asking this because i want to make alot of money working in the field that i love so much. :D

I have heard that they don't have the best auto body programs, I might check a local technical college for those. Most of the curriculum is test-based and you dont get much hands-on experiance which is the most benefical expecially when it comes to mud work.

Well i read on their website that they only spend like 2 weeks in he classroom and the rest of the time in the shop. And something that really caught my attention was that one of the sons of a mother my mom works with said that when he was at WyoTech the built his car exactly the way he wanted it for free! Now that sounds like a pretty good reason for going, dont u think :D ?

im going to UTI :D UTI i havent heard much about wyotech except for the commercials during powerblock on spike tv.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jul 6 2004, 11:00 PM
im going to UTI :D UTI i havent heard much about wyotech except for the commercials during powerblock on spike tv.

SPIKE OWNZ JOOS!!!!!! but seriously wyotech actually has some of the best automotive teachers, but I think what i read the difference between it and UTI is that Uti has smaller classes so its more of a 1 on 1 or a huge group project type thing... soooo i unno

call em and ask?

UTI = not that great, IMO....

unless you want to spend the rest of your life workin on fords and chebbys.

Haha, thats exactly where i first saw Wyotech, on spike tv on the weekend. But speaking of being ASE certified, my highschool had a program where u could get ASE certified, but it was for diesel.

I'm in wyotech right now...in class as I'm typing. I'm at the Blairsville, PA campus and its a very nice school. High price, but from talking to the instructors and seeing some of the work coming out of here....it's excellent. They're still doing some construction at this one, but it should be done within 6 months or so and have all the features of the laramie campus.

I'm currently taking the ASM (Applied Service Management) course but in 3 months I move on to Automotive, then chassis fabrication and possibly trim and upholstry. If you aren't willing to shave everyday and look like a professional, this is not the school for you. I'm sitting with a white shirt and tie on right now for christ's sake and this is an automotive school! But taking this class is the only way of walking out of here with a degree, so it's worth the 3 months of being a Wyo-nerd.

If your planning to move regardless I would suggest you look into Madison Area Technical College (In Wisconsin). Thats where I went for my schooling.

$26,000 for 9 months of "technical" training = not worth it. i live in wyoming and have been to there facility in laramie. they have some nice shops but they do absolutley no training on high performance low displacement engines. they still think that big displacment pushrod v-8's are the egine of the future. they don't teach any engine theory, and the only thing you really get free is the shop time you use when your not in the class room.

wyotech is not worth the time or the money, you will get a better education from your community college.

wyotech is for the person who can't tell a piston from a valve and still wants to be able to "service" there mom's car.

Originally posted by civicious@Jul 6 2004, 11:36 PM
UTI = not that great, IMO....

unless you want to spend the rest of your life workin on fords and chebbys.

Im going to try to go to UTI after I get my M.E. degree and I know they do much more than fords and chevy's. I want to get into the audi program and just work at a dealership and see how long it takes for me to get tired of it. I know they have programs for VW, MB, BMW, porsche and probably others too. Anyone know how long the average person stays at UTI? Id hate to be there for a couple of years after spending 7 or 8 at a traditional university.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Jul 13 2004, 04:02 PM
$26,000 for 9 months of "technical" training = not worth it. i live in wyoming and have been to there facility in laramie. they have some nice shops but they do absolutley no training on high performance low displacement engines. they still think that big displacment pushrod v-8's are the egine of the future. they don't teach any engine theory, and the only thing you really get free is the shop time you use when your not in the class room.

wyotech is not worth the time or the money, you will get a better education from your community college.

wyotech is for the person who can't tell a piston from a valve and still wants to be able to "service" there mom's car.

You have to remember though, Wyotech has its roots as a hot rod school, when have you ever seen a low displacement 4 cylinder in a hot rod? I've been into the automotive course just to check things out and most of their demonstration motors on stands are between 1.6 and 3 liters. They also teach ODB systems, driveline, EMS, etc..

Why would you dump $20,000 into a school if you only want to learn about honda motors? Seems like a waste to me if you aren't out to learn to become a technician who most likely will not see one single type of car his entire career. This school is not meant to teach you everything so you'll be set for life, they mearly provide a solid foundation to build your knowledge. You will never know everything about a car, no one will. Especially with the way technology is constantly advancing.

And For those 9 months you work your ass off. This is nowhere near as laid back as community college. While you are a student here, this is your job. For 8 hours a day you're working, wethers its behind a computer like me <_< or welding body panels, chopping the top on a '67 half ton, or rebuilding a th700r4 (popular gm trans.).

Don't come here if working on cars is your hobby, I'm here because its my life.

Back