Xan's 1989 CRX(an)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Finally tangible CRX progress!!! Got my new window regulator in and it works perfectly. Installed the rear camber kit as well.

Got the CRX started, got a sealed battery for the trunk. Drove it home and it would not launch properly. I'd slip the clutch and the rpms would fall to 200ish and bounce there as the motor debated between life and death and then it would slowly climb up. I got it home, went to check the oil. The dipstick was almost too hot for my "mechanic's hands" to touch and it spewed smoke out of the dipstick hole. It's done the rpm thing before just never this bad, I'm guessing the bottom end is toast?

So recent parts cars have included a 94 Integra with a B18b1, auto tranny and only 103k miles on everything. And a 1990 DA9 I got for free with a good 5 speed tranny, 196k miles on everything.

My reasoning... Forget the admittedly inefficient D series build and just use the clutch kit and tranny, ecu and axles from the DA9 and the B18b1 from the 94 integra. One EF b series mount kit later, I should have a decent little CRX.

Anything I'm missing/forgetting?

Trying to keep my eye simple for now one thing at a time. Big plans always get messed up for me so I just want a running healthy B18 swap into my CRX and I'll go from there, but turbo is definitely on the table down the road.

So trying to get a list of parts I need before I do the swap...

I have..
1989 CRX DX D15z6 mini me
1994 Integra with complete B18b1 auto
1990 Integra with complete B18a1 5 speed
Which gives me axles, ecu, motor, transmission, possibly clutch and flywheel if they're still in good shape (Exedy kit, unsure how many miles)

So I need to buy..
B series into EF Swap mounts (What brand? I'd rather get Innovative since they're cheaper but if they suck I'll bite the bullet and get the hasport kit)
B series into EF Shift linkage
Do they make custom headers for this swap? Or will any "performance" headers for B18b1 fit?
This could cost anywhere from 500-800$ I think.. anything I'm missing?

My early findings have yielded this as an option for a mount kit.. http://streetrays.com/newstore/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52746

Last edited:
So trying to get a list of parts I need before I do the swap...

I have..
1989 CRX DX D15z6 mini me
1994 Integra with complete B18b1 auto
1990 Integra with complete B18a1 5 speed
Which gives me axles, ecu, motor, transmission, possibly clutch and flywheel if they're still in good shape (Exedy kit, unsure how many miles)

So I need to buy..
B series into EF Swap mounts (What brand? I'd rather get Innovative since they're cheaper but if they suck I'll bite the bullet and get the hasport kit)
B series into EF Shift linkage
Do they make custom headers for this swap? Or will any "performance" headers for B18b1 fit?
This could cost anywhere from 500-800$ I think.. anything I'm missing?

My early findings have yielded this as an option for a mount kit.. http://streetrays.com/newstore/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52746

I've never heard of any issues with Innovative mounts and you shouldn't need any special kind of header. The rest of the exhaust might need some modification for everything to fit right.

Thanks @Matts96HB. I got the 1990 Integra running tonight and put it in gear, I could hear the hub scraping the payment so it did in fact run and drive at one point in it's recent history. Obviously I'll crack the transmission open and give it the eye test but that's pretty cool I end up with a spare B18a1 that runs.

Last edited:
I'm debating on whether to run OBD1 or OBD0 for the b18 swap into the crx... I know the b18b makes more power than the b18a will I lose that if I use the pr4 ecu?

You wont lose any power running the b18b on the obd0 electronics just put the obd0 intake and dist on it , the difference is in the head and cams IIRC if the valve cover looks different, if same valve cover they are the same

It's the VC with the deeper grooves. Motor is coming out of a 94 LS with 103k miles. I wanna keep it OBD0 if possible. How is tuning support for obd0?

It's the VC with the deeper grooves. Motor is coming out of a 94 LS with 103k miles. I wanna keep it OBD0 if possible. How is tuning support for obd0?
Yea if both valve covers are the same and its not the smooth b18b1 vc they are the same, keeping obd0 is easy and you will love a b18 crx my first honda was a b18a1 88 si crx, tuneabikity ? Mehhh outdated tuning software but you can have the map changed if you chip/socket the ecu

The "honda salvage" side gig has been good to me lately, looking into more parts.

Just to confirm using a 1990 cable transmission with a 1994 LS block
I will need a clutch kit for a 1990-1991 integra? And the flywheels are universal fitment either way?

If you want tunability for possible big upgrades later, you should run an OBD1 ECU. If you plan on bolt ons, I'd keep it OBD0.

The "honda salvage" side gig has been good to me lately, looking into more parts.

Just to confirm using a 1990 cable transmission with a 1994 LS block
I will need a clutch kit for a 1990-1991 integra? And the flywheels are universal fitment either way?
Correct on fitment, id play safe side use flywheel/clutch/trans etc. 1990, and id stay obd0 for being simple, if tuning becomes issue later (for your plans wont) could always go obd1 later but staying obd0 gets it in car running without changing any wiring or electronics

Just have to figure out what combo stuff works is hardest part, my 86 teg had a 89 bottom end with a 91 head and cams and a 84 jdm crx zc trans running on 86 electronics , I got told many times it would never run or be able to get it timed

Cool I think I got a game plan. This makes me happy ^-^

Gonna start the car as obd0 to get it running and driving and if I decide to convert it to OBD1 down the road I have an ECU I can do it with.

First step is gonna be taking the swap out of the 1990 Integra and grabbing all the pieces (IM, distributor) to use in the swap. Going to also take the transmission to my best friend's dad who's been rebuilding transmissions for the local Honda dealership for 20+ years. He did the rebuild and LSD install in my friend's RSX Type-S so I want to watch and learn how to do it. My family is out of town for a week so I've got a ton of plans all week/weekend long but I really wanna get this part done this week. We'll see how it goes.

You are ahead of the game bud and sounds like you know exactly what to do
I'd like to take credit but this is the cumulation of over a month of research combined with everyone here's advice. now to put it into practice.

Thinking ahead for the project it needs a drivers seat desperately. I've been in two cars with cheap eBay seats and didn't mind them at all tbh my one coworker speaks highly of his the only complaint was that the black cloth faded to gray rather quickly. But I'm hesitant for safety reasons. A 1900lb econobox is only going to hold up so well and I don't want to put my life on the line unnecessarily.

Do any OEM seats swap in and fit half way decent?

What kind of risks would I be taking with a set of 250$ "PVC Leather" eBay classics?

Back