Xbox 360 hot even though turned off

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Anyone experience this before? My room usually gets hot due to what I thought was the computer. Anyways, was rearranging some cables yesterday and noticed the area behind the Xbox(exhaust fans) was pretty hot, even though the Xbox was turned off. Also, sometimes when the Xbox is turned off the USB charging cord is still lit up(usually green). One time the cord made by battery VERY hot(with console off) so I unplugged it.

Has anyone ran into this before? As of right now I complete unplugged the power from the Xbox and the room is much cooler.

background downloads on? those even download when the machine is off.

the charge cord will charge the controller when off too...

No, nothing is downloading. I can understand if it's still charging but it's an insane amount of heat coming out; as if the Xbox is still on/idle but the fans are off.

does it sit upright or on it's side?

Initially upright. I laid it sideways after taking the set-top-box out and left for about an hour to swap out the STB for another one. It was warm the general area but I didn't think any of it. When I got back and was putting the replacement STB in, and had my hand directly behind the Xbox is when I noticed the heat. I just unplugged the power to the Xbox and a couple minutes later it was much cooler.

Back