Xbox, Schmexbox...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the PS3 online play has been getting better and better. The biggest thing about the xbox 360 that bothers me outside of having 4 break on me, is....

Fucking ads

Why the hell do I pay for a gold membership only to see stuff for MCDs?

the red ring of death is under warranty for 2 or 3 years too bad a lot of people bought 2nd xboxes before they did that, also, its one thing to go down for 2-3 weeks at a time but when it happens once a year it is a pain. Then you have people like me who have yet to get a RROD 1st xbox would lock up at random to the point where it would lock up every min or so. The other 3 would spin up the disk spin spin up spin down then give an error.

All 4 of my broke xboxes were only covered by the standard warranty. Thankfully my xboxes all died before the 1 year mark.

i'll have had my xbox for 3 years this june and this is the first time i've ever had a problem with it at all. anyhoo.. here are my tags if anyone's interested:

ps3: madam_mayhem
360: madam4mayhem

i'll have had my xbox for 3 years this june and this is the first time i've ever had a problem with it at all. anyhoo.. here are my tags if anyone's interested:

ps3: madam_mayhem
360: madam4mayhem

Some people just get lucky. My last one has held up, its going on 2 years maybe? It's louder then anything in the house, when it spins up it sounds like its going to blast off, its gotten louder and louder and louder, however, it has yet to blow.

If it dies tonight I wouldn't be surprised, in fact the only thing I'm surprised about is the fact that it's still running.

14 cents a day compared to... free? Then yes, 14 cents a day is too much. Unless you're just in love with XBL's format, then I don't see any need to pay for online gaming when PSN works just fine...

I thought my dad was cheap, holy shit Brutal... You just beat him out. Sorry, I won't miss that 14 cents a day, ever. Neither would you. You're just trying to make a ridiculous point in return, and I don't buy it. :thumbsup:

Not being able to play for 2 weeks at a time, sometimes multiple times a year compared to NOT having to not play for 2 weeks at a time, multiple times a year? I'll take the PS3, thanks. Don't make excuses for how ridiculously shitty the 360's quality has been. The only reason that the RROD is warrantied so heavily is because no one would still be playing on 360 if it wasn't...

Multiple times a year? What do you dumbasses buy these Xboxs off of guys standing at the trunk of their cars? Jesus Christ people... I know I'm on my xbox more than most of you guys here, and I have yet to get an RRoD... Yes, my first xbox took a crap with the video card going out... after almost two years of playing it everyday.

Maybe I'm just lucky in that respect. I treat my shit right and I dust it occasionally. :dunno:

An increasingly large amount of people do prefer BluRays these days. Have you ever watched one on a nice big HDTV with surround sound? It's quite spectacular. And yes, a 360 owner could simply buy a stand-alone BluRay player, but then you've spent $500 - $800 when all is said and done when you could simply have a machine that does it all for $300 - $350. If you're not into BluRays that's cool, but don't knock 'em like they're retarded.

Also, all PS3 game discs are BluRays, and they can hold a shit-ton more info then any 360 disc can. This is why Metal Gear Solid 4 has not been released on the 360. It would have to be broken up onto multiple discs.

I have watched a BluRay and I have watched a DVD both on a 1080p tv, blah blah. Sorry, I'm not telling the difference. I don't see what the big fuss is about, but if you want to have your PS3, free online and the lack of damn near any worthwhile games (I was never a fan of the MGS series anyway, so I don't care) then more power to you. I'm happy with my DVD setup.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a 360 vs. PS3 bash. I just wanted to point out that those rebukes weren't exactly the best that anyone's ever come up with...

They don't need to be the best, they're my opinions so neener neener. :p

Ps3 doesn't charge to get online. Xbox does.
Ps3 doesn't have rings of death Xbox does
Ps3 plays blue ray DVD's Xbox does not

the only problem I've heard of from a ps3 is that after a long time, the fans bearings wear out and make a shit ton of noise. My buddy had his for over 2-3 years and his started about 3 months ago.

sony doenst charge for online YET!!! but they are going to change that and start charging for online plus the psn network isnt no where near what xbox live is

ps3 dont get rrod but they sure do get the yellow light of death and they also get bad bluray drives and they sure get overheated and wont turn on. look on crigslist and see how many bad ps4 are for sale on there

sure ps3 play bluray and 360 doent, and yes the games are on a bluray disk but ps3 games are NOT in 1080p they are only in 720p also ps3 does not upconvert dvds to 1080 where as xbox does upconvert.

i can point out real good features of the ps3 over xbox like the ps3 has bluetooth and xbox does not, ps3 has a web browser xbox does not, you can play a ps3 with a psp when your away from home, xbox cant do that. sure the ps3 has built in wireless and xbox you have to buy an adapter but the ps3 wireless adapter is only b/g and we all know wireless lags compared to wired

so when you say ps3 is better come up with better reasons, each system has its flaws and good points

i have had my xbox 360 for 4 years and I have had no problems at all, and my 60 gig ps3 I have had for 1 year no problems but I have to say the ps3 gets hell of a lot hotter than my xbox does

Last edited:
i'll keep my not very expensive live service. some of you idiots pay high prices for internet access at home. xbox may not be as reliable, but shit their online service is amazing.

i barely use my bluray drive for what it is. but hey guess what? its dead. i had to replace it. i have about 20 hours total on my ps3. fuck you.

ive yet to go on PSN except to download demos or browse the web on the bigscreen. and honestly the wii opera browser is better featured. if the 360 had a browser, i'd probably use that instead.

I thought my dad was cheap, holy shit Brutal... You just beat him out. Sorry, I won't miss that 14 cents a day, ever. Neither would you. You're just trying to make a ridiculous point in return, and I don't buy it. :thumbsup:

Gotta fight fire with fire I guess, lol. And yeah, I know 14 cents a day isn't much, but then again, free is free. I like that you can just pull a PS3 out of it's box, plug it in, and bam, you're playing. Like I said, if you prefer XBL's format over PSN, then that's perfectly fine. I really don't have a preference, so I'll just go with PSN and keep my 14 cents a day. With all the money I'm saving maybe I can sponsor a kid in Africa? :D

Multiple times a year? What do you dumbasses buy these Xboxs off of guys standing at the trunk of their cars? Jesus Christ people... I know I'm on my xbox more than most of you guys here, and I have yet to get an RRoD... Yes, my first xbox took a crap with the video card going out... after almost two years of playing it everyday.

Maybe I'm just lucky in that respect. I treat my shit right and I dust it occasionally. :dunno:

Nah, no shady Xbox deals for me. I bought mine brand new from a department store and I always dusted it and set it in a place where it had plenty of air and ventilation, and still, it died 4 times. I played it pretty frequently but I wasn't on it day and night.

Honestly I'm AMAZED that both you and Ripperbone haven't had an RROD yet. More then 60% of 360s get one at some point...

I have watched a BluRay and I have watched a DVD both on a 1080p tv, blah blah. Sorry, I'm not telling the difference.
I don't know what to tell you then. Don't get me wrong, upconverted DVDs look pretty damn good, but I can still tell the difference between that and a BluRay. With a BluRay the amount of detail in the picture is so high that it looks more like it does when you actually watch a movie in the theater. For some movies it's more noticeable then others though. I just watched the Matrix on BluRay this past weekend and LOVED it...

I don't see what the big fuss is about, but if you want to have your PS3, free online and the lack of damn near any worthwhile games (I was never a fan of the MGS series anyway, so I don't care) then more power to you. I'm happy with my DVD setup.
No worthwhile games? Most everything that's really popular is multiplatform anyway. What awesome exlcusives does the 360 have? Halo and Gears of War pretty much. Both of those games are fun, but then again, I've already played Modern Warfare 1 and 2 more then I ever played Halo, so for me, moot point. I guess it just depends on what type of games you like. I love the Uncharted games, and I also love God of War, so for me, PS3 exclusives are great! Metal Gear isn't my absolute favorite, but I do enjoy it quite a bit as well...

They don't need to be the best, they're my opinions so neener neener. :p

I know man. You're certainly entitled to your opinions. My point was really just to say that both systems have their merits. I still play my 360 once in a while, so I'm definitely not an Xbox hater. I just hate it when people make out the PS3 as crap compared to the 360, when in reality they both have their issues! :D

I just hate it when people make out the PS3 as crap compared to the 360, when in reality they both have their issues! :D
well Brutal it works the same way. thinking the xbox is crap compared to the ps3. im not saying you think this way but the org poster started this all off and then 94h_ex popped of that ps3 is better is than xbox because......blah blah blah...... but yet his reasons arent legit because of some points made by 2000si and myself .

now your on my friends list on the ps3 and how many times do you see me on???? its been awhile since i have been on the ps3 because i prefer my xbox.

yes im am lucky my 360 hasnt rrod of death and i know a few of my buddys who also have had no problems with their xbox.and have owned them from the day the 360 was released and they also play like crazy. but i also know of some of my buddys that have rrod. infact i was given one from my buddies that red ringed so i sent into microsoft for repair and its hooked up in the living room next to the ps3. where as my org 360 sits in the bedroom and is about to get turned on for some mw2 action. :D

sony doenst charge for online YET!!! but they are going to change that and start charging for online plus the psn network isnt no where near what xbox live is

Uh...source please? I haven't heard anything about Sony planning to charge money for PSN...

ps3 dont get rrod but they sure do get the yellow light of death and they also get bad bluray drives and they sure get overheated and wont turn on. look on crigslist and see how many bad ps4 are for sale on there

Okay then, should we do a little experiment? Let's go to Craigslist and count the number of failed PS3s versus failed Xbox 360s for sale. I guarantee you that there will be more 360s then PS3s on there. I wasn't trying to say that the PS3 is perfect, I'm just saying that the failure rate on the 360 is absolutely abysmal, and is really embarassing for Microsoft...

sure ps3 play bluray and 360 doent, and yes the games are on a bluray disk but ps3 games are NOT in 1080p they are only in 720p also ps3 does not upconvert dvds to 1080 where as xbox does upconvert.

Where do you get your information? Not ALL PS3 games are in 1080p, but a lot of them are. Modern Warfare 1 and 2 are in 1080p. I know this for a fact because I played it last night. Also, yes the PS3 DOES upconvert DVDs. Why wouldn't it? It's a fucking BluRay player. That's what BluRay players do, they play BluRays and upconvert DVDs. As long as you're using an HDMI cable, the PS3 will upconvert.

And just to clarify, SOME Xbox 360s will upconvert, but not all of them. The older ones don't have HDMI ports and therefore cannot upconvert (you need to be using an HDMI cable for upconversion to be possible). Only the newer ones with HDMI ports can do it...

i can point out real good features of the ps3 over xbox like the ps3 has bluetooth and xbox does not, ps3 has a web browser xbox does not, you can play a ps3 with a psp when your away from home, xbox cant do that. sure the ps3 has built in wireless and xbox you have to buy an adapter but the ps3 wireless adapter is only b/g and we all know wireless lags compared to wired

so when you say ps3 is better come up with better reasons, each system has its flaws and good points

When did I say that the PS3 was better? I didn't. I just don't like it when people act like the PS3 is total crap compared to the 360 when the truth is, they both have their problems. Honestly I think we're trying to say the same thing here...

i have had my xbox 360 for 4 years and I have had no problems at all, and my 60 gig ps3 I have had for 1 year no problems but I have to say the ps3 gets hell of a lot hotter than my xbox does

I'm honestly amazed that you haven't had an RROD yet. The failure rate on the 360 is more then 60% overall, so consider yourself lucky. As for the PS3, do you have the older one or the newer, slim version? I don't know how the older one is, but the slim version is really nice. It doesn't put out much heat and it's very very quiet...

guess you didnt see any of the E3 expo last year when they said MGS was going to xbox

Metal Gear Solid 4 Xbox 360 version

Uh, what? That article you linked to says nothing about E3. In fact, all it shows is some game footage of MGS4 on the PS3 and then some text about how it most likely WON'T ever go to the 360 because of the multiple disc issue, which is exactly what I said. That article is 2 years old, FYI. And yes, I remember last year's E3 and I don't recall any announcement about MGS4 coming to the PS3.

There have been unofficial rumors about a 360 version ever since the game came out, but it's not 2010 and no official announcement yet. I don't think it's gonna happen at this point...

well Brutal it works the same way. thinking the xbox is crap compared to the ps3. im not saying you think this way but the org poster started this all off and then 94h_ex popped of that ps3 is better is than xbox because......blah blah blah...... but yet his reasons arent legit because of some points made by 2000si and myself .

now your on my friends list on the ps3 and how many times do you see me on???? its been awhile since i have been on the ps3 because i prefer my xbox.

yes im am lucky my 360 hasnt rrod of death and i know a few of my buddys who also have had no problems with their xbox.and have owned them from the day the 360 was released and they also play like crazy. but i also know of some of my buddys that have rrod. infact i was given one from my buddies that red ringed so i sent into microsoft for repair and its hooked up in the living room next to the ps3. where as my org 360 sits in the bedroom and is about to get turned on for some mw2 action. :D

Oh, I agree with all of this. I was just trying to bring some balance into the discussion here. I have both systems and I think they both have their merits and their faults. As for the "legitimacy" of any comments posted here, I would agree that the initial bash on the 360 wasn't exactly super legit, but then again, neither were 2000Si's responses. That's kinda why I felt the need to post, ya know? :D

It's funny; we had the exact opposite experience with our 360s. Yours has been great and now you prefer it to the PS3. Mine's been crap and now I prefer the PS3. It's all about the experience you have I guess...

Last edited:
When did I say that the PS3 was better? I didn't. I just don't like it when people act like the PS3 is total crap compared to the 360 when the truth is, they both have their problems. Honestly I think we're trying to say the same thing here...

lol brutal u need to look at the post of the poster that i qouted it WASNT YOU IT WAS 94H_EX and yes you and I are on the same tract with saying both systems have thier flaws and good points

Uh, what? That article you linked to says nothing about E3. In fact, all it shows is some game footage of MGS4 on the PS3 and then some text about how it most likely WON'T ever go to the 360 because of the multiple disc issue, which is exactly what I said. That article is 2 years old, FYI. And yes, I remember last year's E3 and I don't recall any announcement about MGS4 coming to the PS3.

There have been unofficial rumors about a 360 version ever since the game came out, but it's not 2010 and no official announcement yet. I don't think it's gonna happen at this point...

E3 Surprise: Metal Gear Solid for Xbox - PCWorld

IGN: Metal Gear Solid: Rising

and from the komani website
KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS 2009 SPECIAL SITE

I'm honestly amazed that you haven't had an RROD yet. The failure rate on the 360 is more then 60% overall, so consider yourself lucky. As for the PS3, do you have the older one or the newer, slim version? I don't know how the older one is, but the slim version is really nice. It doesn't put out much heat and it's very very quiet...

i have the 60 gig version with is the first version because its backwards compatible. I have heard the newer ones dont get as hot and are quiet but i know a few of my buddy have had the slim and had to take them back for yellow light of death or bad bluray drives. one of my buddies had getting into 5 returns on his ps3 because of the yellow light

Where do you get your information? Not ALL PS3 games are in 1080p, but a lot of them are. Modern Warfare 1 and 2 are in 1080p. I know this for a fact because I played it last night. Also, yes the PS3 DOES upconvert DVDs. Why wouldn't it? It's a fucking BluRay player. That's what BluRay players do, they play BluRays and upconvert DVDs. As long as you're using an HDMI cable, the PS3 will upconvert.
my info is from my tv and it will tell me what mode the game is in

Okay then, should we do a little experiment? Let's go to Craigslist and count the number of failed PS3s versus failed Xbox 360s for sale. I guarantee you that there will be more 360s then PS3s on there. I wasn't trying to say that the PS3 is perfect, I'm just saying that the failure rate on the 360 is absolutely abysmal, and is really embarassing for Microsoft...

the xbox started off with a bunch of out of the box fails but what my point was to 94h_ex was that the ps3 is not GOLD and that it has it problems like the yellow light of death just like xbox has the RROD. where he claims the ps3 doesnt get the rrod well hell the yellow light of death is just as bad as the rrod.

Uh...source please? I haven't heard anything about Sony planning to charge money for PSN...
there was a bunch of articles on it. i have to find them in a bit I have to take my son in to the doctor for blood work

As for the "legitimacy" of any comments posted here, I would agree that the initial bash on the 360 wasn't exactly super legit, but then again, neither were 2000Si's responses. That's kinda why I felt the need to post, ya know? :D

I can't say neither weren't legit, they're opinions based on personal experiences. I don't hate on the PS3 because its better quality and cost wise, I hate on it because at the moment I can't afford one. lol

My brother has all three systems. He's been through several different Xbox's and has a black one now, along with his white wii and his black PS3. He tends to play his Wii over his Xbox, and his xbox over his PS3.

Sony hints at PSN-for-pay once again -- Engadget
Sony Plans To Charge For PSN [Sony PowerPoint Leaks Plan For 'Premium Service' On PSN] TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities
Sony is 'Thinking About Charging' for PSN - psn - Gizmodo

need any more links?? theres a ton of them

The most common charge leveled at the Xbox 360 by Playstation 3 devotees is that Microsoft dares to charge for its Xbox Live service, unlike the free PSN. Not for long! Back in November, a presentation slide revealed that Sony had a paid subscription plan in the works for PSN. And now Peter Dille, the head of PSN, had this to say in an interview with IGN:
Will we charge for it or why don't we charge for it? It's been our philosophy not to charge for it from launch up until now, but Kaz recently went on the record as saying that's something we're looking at. I can confirm that as well. That's something that we're actively thinking about. What's the best way to approach that if we were to do that? You know, no announcements at this point in time, but it's something we're thinking about.
Now the question is what exactly will they be charging for. Will they charge for online multiplayer, like Xbox Live? Or will they offer up some new premium goodies to entice people to pay up while leaving the current offerings up for free? In any case, it looks like there's soon to be a little less ammo in the console wars. But don't worry, Sony fanboys: you still have Blu-ray. No one can take that away from you. [IGN via TFTS]

haha

Last edited:
Back