xm to merge with sirius??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The Satellite hardware is the same. It's transmitting on the same equipment.

EDIT: I was on the phone, and not concentrating. XM and Sirius use the same types of satellites. What they send is a different frequency - You need only to change the antennas (As far as hardware is concerned) and translate their protocols. With this system in place, you'll see internet access (one way) and television through the higher bandwidth XM frequencies (My prediction). Buy in now.

Last edited:
there's already satalite internet... dish offers it, and even sprint mobile cards use it. it hasn't done too much IMO.

Plus, with several major metropolitan areas offering free wifi in town, it may end up being a poor investment.

Just an example. Getting satellite video to cars has been the holy grail of all communications companies.

I like the music programming I heard on XM, although I havent heard a lot its pretty good. Sirius plays great music but its the same playlist everyday for a week or so. Its like regular ass FM without commercials and uncensored.

Howard FTMFW!!!! He's taking WAY too many fucking vacations now though and I'm pissed as fuck about every Friday off. He said a few here or there, mostly in the summer. He hasnt worked a friday in MONTHS!! :( I do love the show and none of these complaints will get me to stop paying for it :p

I have serius radio.. And 90% of the time I'm driving, I'm listening to comedy or talk shows. Much better than hearing the top ten from your favorite decade over and over..

But if they use say, serius's satalites, XM's will be free, and will be sold to the new "competition"

Or, with double the satalites in the sky, they can increase the bandwidth of the crap they are sending down. Think video feeds.

I have serius radio.. And 90% of the time I'm driving, I'm listening to comedy or talk shows. Much better than hearing the top ten from your favorite decade over and over..

But if they use say, serius's satalites, XM's will be free, and will be sold to the new "competition"

Or, with double the satalites in the sky, they can increase the bandwidth of the crap they are sending down. Think video feeds.

Thanks for parroting me :)

But I listen to both XM and Sirius and the content on both seems to change hands. One period one is better than the other, then they get a shot in the arm, and pass each other.

heres the real info. got this in my email this morning.

February 19, 2007

To: SIRIUS Subscribers

Today is a very exciting day for SIRIUS customers. As you may have heard,
SIRIUS Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio are merging to form the nation's
premier audio entertainment provider.

This combination of our two offerings will benefit you - our loyal listeners.
As a single company, we'll provide superior programming to you every day with
the best of both SIRIUS and XM. Currently, XM and SIRIUS broadcast a wide range
of commercial-free music channels, exclusive sports coverage, news, talk, and
entertainment programming. Howard Stern. Oprah and Friends. The NFL. MLB.
NBA. ESPN. CNBC. Fox News. Additionally, the combined company will be able
to improve existing services such as real-time traffic information and rear-seat
video as well as introduce new ones.

After shareholder and regulatory approvals, we anticipate that the combination
will be finalized by the end of 2007. Until then, both companies will continue
to operate independently. We will continue to provide you with the
uninterrupted service - as well as the outstanding customer support - that you
have come to expect and enjoy from SIRIUS. We do not anticipate any changes in
your service during the merger process, however, please call our customer care
team on 1- 888-539-7474 should you have any questions.

We look forward to the many benefits this combination will offer and continuing
to make your listening experience an enjoyable one - offering more of the Very
Best Radio on Radio.

Stay tuned,

Mel Karmazin, CEO

You can buy little boxes for most cars that changes XM to Sirius or Sirius to XM. it lets you use the factory head unit with built in Sat display... too bad they make it for most cars, just not the 04+ TL... fuckers!!!!!

I've had both Sirius and XM. in Maryland I find that Sirius will go out when you pass under a bridge but only for 1-2 seconds. XM however will go out when ever you get near trees down south and anything tall. When I drive to my parents place I HAVE to be in the fast lane or else XM will cut off. WTF!

That's on a major 2 lane each way road!

I can't wait for this to come thru. I miss having Sirius.

FYI... Sirius goes directly to Satellites, as where XM is Repeater based... Hence why Sirius is known for better signal quality than XM.

I can't wait for this. I will DEFINATELY buy Satellite Radio... My main holdup has been choosing which one I want, and wanting to use it in multiple cars WITHOUT FM MODULATION.

FYI... Sirius goes directly to Satellites, as where XM is Repeater based... Hence why Sirius is known for better signal quality than XM.

I can't wait for this. I will DEFINATELY buy Satellite Radio... My main holdup has been choosing which one I want, and wanting to use it in multiple cars WITHOUT FM MODULATION.

Wire your one system in. FM Modulation bypassed.

Also, FM really isn't a bad idea. It's got some serious bandwidth.

If I'm paying for digital god damn sound I want digital god damn sound, not FM Modulated sound! Basically I want to be able to buy docks for each car that go through RCA, not FM Modulation. Awhile ago when I checked, that wasn't available for either.

If I'm paying for digital god damn sound I want digital god damn sound, not FM Modulated sound! Basically I want to be able to buy docks for each car that go through RCA, not FM Modulation. Awhile ago when I checked, that wasn't available for either.

XM and Sirius both sound like shit. no matter how you hook it up.

just a FYI.

Doesn't help that I have a 7.1 system in the TL... going from a super audio cd to xm is like going from stereo to telephone...

xm sounds pretty damn good in my dads porsche. much better than fm.

xm sounds pretty damn good in my dads porsche. much better than fm.

Maybe its the fact that you're in a Porsche that makes it that much better?
Bottom line, XM sounds like its a 92bitrate mp3 FM is hands down better sounding.

The Acura TL was ranked in the top 10 for best factory sound systems offered in a car. It really is badass. I do have to say when I had my civic Sirius sounded pretty damn good, even when I got in my TL it sounded ok, but once you do a before and after of a high end CD vs the XM radio... bah!

Again XM and Sirius both suck sound wise. Don't think I dislike them I own stock in Sirius and have a membership with XM and had one with Sirius I love sat radio I think it rocks! but it sounds like shit.

Actually I think his Sound System sucks for the price of the car.. My dad thinks its the best thing out there... :|

I'm wondering what HD Radio is like and how thats gonna work out...

Actually I think his Sound System sucks for the price of the car.. My dad thinks its the best thing out there... :|

I'm wondering what HD Radio is like and how thats gonna work out...

I also wonder, but as long as the FCC says they can't say things and ads are played every other song.. no thanks.

Back