Xmas gifts 2013--so what did you get

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's a blast. It plays a lot like guitar hero. The game comes with a patchcord-to-USB cable and it plugs right into the machine. You use the controller to navigate the menu.

The thing is it's not a game, it is educational software. There are a ton of lessons (chords 101, 102, 201, etc, lessons on tremolo picking, bending, everything you can think of). The game will demonstrate a technique, have you replicate it, and then move on. At the end of each lesson there is a 2 minute-ish song you play as a "final exam" for the lesson.

There is also a session feature that allows you to "freestyle" to backing tracks. This is for more advanced players.

Learning songs is also really well done. When you create a profile the game asks you for your ability level. That's the base for the song. For me, it was like playing every 4th note. As your accuracy goes up the game adds more until you are playing the real thing. If you are having trouble, it slows down, once you have it, it speeds back up, and it all works very naturally. You can also use the Riff Repeater feature to select a single segment, or up to the entire song, and practice just that part.

The game covers lead, rhythm, and bass. There is a ton more to it, but that's the gist of it.

I got spoiled this year.

New GoPro camera for the hatch and adventures with our new baby.
Can't wait for underwater swimming/videos with my boy.
Hoping to learn more about editing and such.

A round of golf at the two "fancy" places in a 60 mile radius.

Sennheiser wireless headphones for TV watching at night. Haven't tried them yet.

Gold Toe White and Black Socks. I love these. Seems silly but oh well.

Couple of work v-neck sweaters that I needed.

Tons of plastic storage drawers for garage (misc. bolts/nuts/screws/etc.)

New cordless hair trimmer (mine died on me)

New slippers.

PS4 w/3 games and 2 controllers ("Family" gift for our living room).. This was a shock. Wife said she bought it in June.

Candy (I'm a sucker for sweets).

Kids got me a portable putting green and push up bars.

Got:
Nice tent
Socks
Seaters
Nice shirts
Sears gift card
New clothes hampers
Gummy bears

Gave:
Mom
Nice solar seiko, coat, giant Eagle gift cards
Sis
Chair, the hobbit, iron man 3
Gf
Complete UK edition Harry Potter box set
Gf mom
Candle, bottle of wine I don't know about
Gf step dad
Kershaw shallot
Gf sister
Game stop gift card.

basically I got a lot of bills. bough shit for my son that I now have to pay off. I think it's christmas club time for next year.

I got for christmas:
SoftRock RXTX ensemble v6.2 (it's an HF Software defined radio)
Icom ut-123
Amazon gift card $100
About $150 in misc gift cards
50 shares of FPRTX

For my birthday, which is a week before christmas:
Icom 718 HF radio
MFJ 993b tuner
20A power supply 100% duty
125mhz upconverter for RTL-SDR dongle
Ellie Goulding tickets
$150 in amazon gift cards

I gave Amy a diamond and platinum engagement ring on the 11th, one stone is .83ct (center) and the sides are .24 and .25ct each. (All stones were IF, E, Ideal or Excellent.) She swore I didn't have to get here anything else, but I disagreed. So I gave her:
waterford crystal ring holder
Technician ARRL License manual
A trip to NY to see her parents, brother, and doggie.

Because of the HF radio, I now get to buy a bunch of cable ferrites and ground stuff that's not otherwise grounded (subwoofer, soundbar, etc) to minimize the RFI, good times.

The asterisks were house gifts

Totally forgot about the big house gift... Bought this snowblower from Costco:

MTD Gold 28" Two-Stage Snowthrower

350-820102-847__1.jpg

Just arrived today (3 snows too late but still). It's a monster blower, way bigger than anything I've ever had before, and it has heated handles!

Got-
Amazon gift card
Laptop bag
Tuesday I picked up an Xbox One (my work has payroll deduction) It was not really planed just happened they had one on the shelf.
200 dollar gift certificate to my local bicycle shop. Going to pick up clip less pedals and shoes in a few minutes.
Grohmann Knife Kit

Gave-

Son:
Russel Wilson (Seahawks QB) Jersey
Foam Minecraft pick axe

Wife:
Laptop (a month early)
I figured she needed something to open on Christmas day so I picked up a as wellGarmin Nuvi 2595 LMT

Parents:
A large canvas print of all of us at my wedding

Brother:
LED 2 cell Maglight

Totally forgot about the big house gift... Bought this snowblower from Costco:

MTD Gold 28" Two-Stage Snowthrower

350-820102-847__1.jpg

Just arrived today (3 snows too late but still). It's a monster blower, way bigger than anything I've ever had before, and it has heated handles!

not a fan of MTD products but they are hard to avoid, they make everything for a ton of manufacturers who mass produce....im sure this thing will be a beast for when it snows though.

i wish i went bigger and better with my snow blower...I went with the Ariens SnoTek 24inch

If i had to do it over, i would have bought a Simplicity H1528E 28"

not a fan of MTD products but they are hard to avoid, they make everything for a ton of manufacturers who mass produce....im sure this thing will be a beast for when it snows though.

Yep I noticed that there were a bunch of off brands selling for about the same price that were identical to this one in every way. Should still be overkill for my little driveway and sidewalk though.

I also picked up a little grass seed spreader for spreading salt, it actually works quite well but I'll need to change the plastic wheels to rubber to provide grip on the slippery concrete... The drive wheel slips otherwise and I have to lean over and press down with my full weight the whole time.

Last edited:
Got:

$100 cash money
Some restaurant gift cards
Ski pants
Ski goggles
Thermals for skiing
1 hour massage
Vacuum Cleaner
A bunch of dress shirts & ties
Couple hoodies

Gave:

Bottle of Glenlivet 18
Some shirts & ties
Running shoes
Boots
Bluetooth headphones
Fenix flashlight

Got:

Surface Pro 2 256GB
Craftsman 10pc Air Tool Set
Adams Idea Irons set
Versace Cologne
Shirts
Socks
$300 in cash
Few gift cards

Gave:

Tory Burch Slippers
Ugg Snow boots
University of North Texas gear(Wife's Alma Mater)
Tickets to Heart Of Dallas Bowl game
Jewelry
Lots of gift cards
Clothes

I'd say I made out like a bandit this year. I really wanted the Surface both for personal and work use. I hate carrying around a laptop all the time, so the ability to have all my work stuff on the Surface and be able to connect from anywhere is awesome.

Got:
PS3 (the 250gb The Last Of Us and Batman: Origins bundle)
$200 gift card for anywhere (mostly spent on games)

Gave:
Not much a few small things for the wife
I let her choose a 1996 Honda accord for her to drive (and keep), Civic got totaled by a freaking deer.
Got the little one a Nintendo DS (one of the older ones) with like 5 games.

But I sort of stopped the whole buying on Christmas thing because i like to spoil them both all year long.

I didn't get shit. I got mrs taco diamond earrings and sexy outfits which she hasn't worn yet. more arguing and being irritated than anything.

I ought myself some well needed shoes for work and got mrs taco some more boots to never wear. yup merry fucking Christmas to me.

EDIT: her and my sister in law did take the time to drop more money on REALLY REALLY lavish outfits for special occasions. Mini skirt, tight dress with high slit...if and when she wears them I'll be sure to take a pic. :)

Back