XP becoming obsolete

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dont forget the 2 hours long tech support call to applecare.

most of our MACs have been down this route with failing parts. our other systems (majority acer, some dell and few hp) dont seem to have these issues. im sure the windows platforms are stressed harder phyically (3/4 of our workforce are mobile with laptops and blackberrys). i have to fix more MACs than PCs - and there are 20x more PCs in the company.

i guess you dont buy dell, compaq or sony either...........

i think that title is misleading and incorrect. just because its being replaced doesnt mean its obsolete.

fyi: dell is actually offering some brand new systems with xp instead of vista. xp sp2 will also be supported well into 2014.

anyway, vista doesnt cut it for me just yet. maybe after more driver issues have been worked out by everyone, software compatability and direct x 10 comes around, ill move on. but xp is servicing me well so i wont jump ships yet.

dell support is just as bad.... but i dont have to call them nearly as often.

if i had a warranty i would be calling them every week till my board is replaced. damn solder points for the power connector came loose 6 months after i got my laptop (dell).

OMG, a two year old workstation grade computer with a failed board. That is like complaining about a hard drive failure in a RAID enclosure.
Our macs have failed boards, IBM, and Intel Processors. Our Blades have failed processors, boards, and Power Supplies. Our custom built server/workstations go through parts as well. That is just how these things are. We want faster computers, that involves pushing more limits, and stressing parts.
My...my workstation is rocksolid...dual 3.3ghz overclocked Xeons on an IWILL motherboard. Not all server/workstation hardware has to be unreliable.

Maybe that'll also force them to work harder to rid off all the bugs and such in Vista? Only reason I'm using XP right now is because all of the software is designed to work under that OS. If it wasn't for that, I'd be using Linux right now(plus the fact I'm lazy).

Back