XP Pro vs Home Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
So the new server is getting the final setup this morning...
But I have a HUGE problem...

Apparently Windows Server 2003 will NOT work with windows 98 or windows xp home

The work machine i just got has windows xp home, and i was planning on moving the old tower to the secretary station but its running windows 98...

so first question
will xp home work with server 2003?
and can i purchase and download windows xp pro from ANY website?
i feel a bit to blame because i just bought this computer and now i find out it won't work with the new server so i'm trying to fix it asap
IT guys tell me it needs 512 to run xp pro
this machine only has 256 but i can rob another 256 from my tower to get it pro ready...

256mb in pro will work just fine, but you should bump to 512mb

home is called home because you can't join a domain with it. some other network functionality has been removed as well.

ooohhhh...
what about home networks?
lol

so i'm trying to exchange this acer computer for one with xp pro
its over 14 days so they couldn't do it via the 800 number but they told me to call the store
waiting for a call back now...

but the windows 98 machine is connected to the server and she's doing work on it...
they said it might work ok for a couple days but sooner or later it'll fuck up...

256mb in pro will work just fine, but you should bump to 512mb

home is called home because you can't join a domain with it. some other network functionality has been removed as well.
exactly...although for some reason a guy here at work says he got a home edition to join a domain...but i say he just doesnt know what hes talkin about...lol...o well...

but yea...upgrade to pro...hell if anything...just find a cd and reinstall the OS if you cant get the acer exchanged...

yea, they won't exchange it
so i need to get the upgrade for 200 bucks

anyone know of a legit place to buy and download xp pro?
i know they offer it for shit like quickbooks or other programs
but i would like to get it setup now

im pretty sure you can use the dos command netuse to connect with an xp computer. just set it up in a batch file. im about 90% sure that we had xp home machines connecting to server 2003.

im pretty sure you can use the dos command netuse to connect with an xp computer. just set it up in a batch file. im about 90% sure that we had xp home machines connecting to server 2003.
yea, i'm pretty sure they were talking some complete bullshit

the windows 98 machine is connected to the server and working perfectly
i still need to upgrade the OS on the acer but my boss dropped 1K to get an HP from these IT guys cause they said we NEEDED to have it so the lady could work the next day
and she does payroll for clients so we thought it HAD to be done that day
fucking bullshit

they brought a little 15" lcd to install the server with
i asked if they wanted to sell it
used old lcd, figured it would be cheap
they banged us fucking 190 for this used shit heap of a monitor
1500 to re-terminate the phones and ethernet wires
200 for the patch panel
so a total bill of 3K on top of the 7 for the server

at least its all done right now
live and learn i guess

next time, call me. i'll get that shit done and with the cash i save you - you can send me on vacation and still have cash left over.

Back