Xs 500

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
I'm going to look at a '76 Yamaha XS 500 tomorrow. I was wondering if you guys have had any experience with them? I read that the cam chain tensioner usually needs tightened every couple months, but that overall they're a pretty reliable bike. Kick start rod has a small tendency to snap. The one I'm looking at is listed for 950 obo. I'm going to see if I can get it for 7-750, if I can't get him for 800 I'll walk. I plan on making a cafe racer build if I do get it. Anybody know of any problems with these bikes? Anything to watch for?

DEVIL%20HORNS.png

The photographs are in:

169ndx1.jpg

t7zm9y.jpg

2mdhw9g.jpg

sbo3d4.jpg

ml19hf.jpg

Thing is fun as hell to ride with the handle bars on it. I think a nicely placed rear set would be nice too, but I'm getting used to where they're at, at least for now. It's pretty quick for a 500. Future plans involve making a tail piece out of 400 tank, digging around for a rear set, bar end mirror, removing the front fender, and electrical covers on the sides, if I can figure something out something to do with the battery. I'd like to find a way to just eliminate it and use the kick start, but I'm not sure if it would run normal without it, or cause any trouble. Of course looking into trimming the turn signals eventually too, I wish it was pre 1970, but I wonder how much shit I'd get for deleting them.

most of the yamahas i see built don't even have a tail, more of just a springer style seat lol
there was a rat rod/custom show over the summer, they had a few of these built up real nice
they say don't use hondas cause the frame welds are junk and the motors arent as reliable as the yamaha, so you're off to a good start

ooh, and rat rod shows are an awesome place to see pin up/suicide girls

Believe it or not, and this isn't like me, I don't really want to rat this thing out. We'll see how that changes, but for now I'd like to keep it clean.

Thanks for bumping the thread noob. I actually didn't catch this one the first time. :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking, both of you. It still looks as it does in the pictures. I'm really itching to get a little more done. When I put the clip ons on, I lost electric start for some reason. Kicker still works but its not very good. Either it doesn't engage the motor or it kicks back sometimes. Last night I had to stop and rest for a minute before I tried again. Didn't get anything done this winter, but this bike is fun as hell to putt around on. Handles surprisingly well, and its only governed by the width of the tires, and the location of the pegs, I've had it over far enough to scrape O.O

Back