y7 vtec conversion help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slowEKhatch

i have a 96 cx and i wanted to do a y8 head swap. what all is needed to do this? and where can i find some instructions on performing the swap?

instructions ? man they dont hAVE INSTRUCTION LMAO .............. sorry kid dont mean to laugh but i'm tired as hell
parts needed
1. y8 head
2. y8 intake manifold and throttle body
3. ecu ~ you can go p2p or p28
a. p2p is obd2a and you can plug it right in but it's not programable for tunning
(p2p cheapest)
b. p28 you need a convertion harness from obd2a to obd1 this ecu is
programable ( p28 around 100$ and convertion harness 30 - 60 $)
4. knock sensor
5. head gasket
6. head bolts ~ you can re-use your original ones but if you dont know what your doing i dont suggest it other wise you'll be buying a new block or you'll be paying some one to drill it out when you snap one off ~ and they do it very easy so save your self the time and get them!!!!!!!!
7. manafold gaskets for the intake and the exhaust
8.three peaces of wire 18 gauge about six feet long each
get all that and get back to me i'll tell you how to do the rest

alright so i'm bored
you ready for all this get a pen and take this shit down
0. disconnect your battery and make sure your parked in a good place to be working cause you aint moven till your done
1. disconnect the exhaust down pipe from the cat
2. there are two O2 sensors unplug them (do not pull the damn wires)
3. take the heat shield off the manifold 14mm blots
4. take off the exhaust manifold 12mm nuts (theres ten of them )
5. pull the exhuast forward and lower it to the ground watch the O2 sensors dont get caught up
6. drain your coolant and your oil (take the oil filter off and leave it out for now)
7. on the intake mnifold there is a coolant line running to the lower left side disconnect it and pull it out of the way
8. now disconnect your gas line running to the fuel rail ( dont loose the copper washers your going to need those again )
9. on the other side of the fuel rail you'll see a small line running down tords the fire wall disconnect that on the manifold side
10. on the very back of the manifold there is a vacum line running off to the fire wall disconnect that
11. now there are 7 nut's holding the manafold on 4 on top and three on the bottom 12 mm also there is a braket on the back holding the manifold up also 12mm you need to get under your car and get them from the back to remove them there a bitch one of the nut's holding the manifold is right above where your oil filter is the other two are on the sides and can be taken off from up top
12. once you have all that off unplug the fuel injector's and all the that crap on the manafold NOTE !!! there are two plug that are the same one is for a map and the other is for your throttle tag them so you know which is which
13. now take the intake manifold right out - o and watch the pcv valve it gets stuck!!!
*** forgot take the throttle cable off ***
14. remove your valve cover
15. unplug your distributer and remove it from the head 12mm bolts ~ it will side out side ways do not pry on it just slide it straight out do not turn the peace on the end either or you'll be fucking sorry
16. put your distr. down some where out of the way where no one can fuck with it i'm going to tell you a little trick later
17. on the right side there is a grey plastic cover over the timing belt remove it there are three 10mm bolts holding on
18. now here the trick
the pully holding the timming belt is in a certin position. Now inorder to do this your cant loose the position or your going to have to have the time set so be carefull and pay attention to what your doing dont rush
take a sharpy marker and mark the belt and the pully in three different places so you can see the makes realy good where the belt is on the pully.
If you look at the center of the pully you'll see a bolt and a pin the pin is key to lineing the other head up for the timing to work.
take a 14mm and remove the bolt. now side the pully out very easy (DONT TURN THE BELT)
now that you have that off you can remove the head bolts
19. remove head bolts
20. remove the head
21. clean off the remaining gasket on the block
22. there are two little sleeves that are either stuck on the block or the head remove those and place them some where to be reinstalled later remeber where they go you need the to line the head gasket and head up
23. put some copper gasket sealant down and put on the haed gasket
24. slide the little sleeves back in the block and put on the head
### head bolts use some antilock on them before you put them in ###
!!!!!!! dont just tighten them either there is a torch speck and a order you have to follow to tighten these head blots sorry i lost my list but ask on here i'm sure some one has the list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
25. now there are maker on the belt put the pully on and turn it till the marks are lined up now slide the belt back on you might have to take the pully off and put the blet up first then slide the pully into it
26. put the nut back on and tighten
27. follow this list backwards put everything back together using the y8 intake manifold
28. now everything is on go inside the car on the passenger side there is a plastic kick plate remove it the ecu is behind there
29. remove the ecu 10mm bolts and unplug it
now i cant go any farther untill i know what ecu you are using so get back to me and i'll let you know what to do next

Last edited:
some one go over this and make sure i didn't miss anything

i dont think it's been covered yet ~ it's just a head swap though anyway get up with the admin, depo and have them put it up on sticky

thanks for everything. ill get back to ya if i run in to any problems.

Back