Y8 Head Swap Question. Need Help.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

All Show

Hello all, I have been to a couple different site and posted this same question but with no luck, a few people suggested that I should post it here because people here know their stuff when it comes to swaps.

I am doing the head swap on my 99 D16Y7 with a 98 D16Y8 head and intake manifold. I have also bought a P28 with the proper conversion harness. The problem I am having is with the VTEC. People are telling me that my car is probably not pre wired for VTEC and I will need to buy a new wiring harness or add to the old one. Is this true? I have read a lot about the swap and have never heard this before but it does make sence. I have heard of people installing toggle switches and VTEC controler to activate their VTEC, is this because their cars are not prewired for the VTEC? I thought that it was as simple as bolting on the head and intake, changing ecu's and that was it. I real need some help, I have bought ever thing I need (I think) for the swap but not going to start it until I know exactly what I need to do. I would really appreciate any advice you can offer with this swap.

Along with the head and intake manifold you need a head gasket, intake and exhaust manifold gasket, timing belt (since you have a newer car the on you have should still be fine but its up too you! Also with the d16y8 intake manifod, the IAC (Idle Air Control) has a 2 wire connector the d16y7 has a 3 pin connector, on the d16y7 the IAC is connected to the Trottle body, and on the d16y8 its on the back of the intake manifold. If you use the d16y8 ecu then you have to use the 2 pin, which means some rewiring and shit! but if you use the d16y7 ecu all you have to do is just put the d16y7 trottle body on the d16y8 manifold, they have the same diameter trottle body. And thats it Your better off using the d16y7 trottle body on the manifold with the d16y7 ecu .If you use the d16y8 ecu , first of all you have to find the pinout for the ecu, becasue you have too run 3 wires one for the vtec oil pressure , vtec solenoid, and Knock sensor( you don't have a knock sensor) d16y7 blocks do not have them! So I think the easiest way to hook up vtec is basically a rpm switch, or a vtec controller.

I just did this swap on my 98 lx and evrything has been fine, i bought an ex ecu and it throws a IAC code and i tried to rewire but it still throws it and when i swap my intake manifold i'm just going to use the d16y7 trottle body on the d16y8 intake manifold! everyone says to get the ex ecu and just plug it in and run a few wires, but theres MORE to it! I've had NO problems with using the d16y7 ecu i feel vtec and everything ,i now you bought the ecu and the conversion harness, but to save alot of time and headache i suggest using the d16y7 ecu with just a rpm switch for the vtec! And anyway you don't have a knock sensor and i don't think you want to drill into your block. So it is as easy as you said you just bolt it on and hook up everythink you unhooked and run ONE wire for the vtec from the rpm switch. Any other questions about the swap just ask.

Thanks for the advise. I know you guy must get tried of the FNG's (f#*king new guys) coming on here asking the same questions over and over again but i appreciate the help. One last qestion, is the oil pressure sensor the same on my Y7 as they are on the Y8's?

Back