y8 problems in a dx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evoracer03

i swapped in a y8 motor in my 89 dx and im pretty sure all the wiring is correct, but now it cranks over and almost starts but as soon as i let off the key it dies right down. the ecu is throwing codes 6, 8, 10, and 13. the only ones im not sure about is the tdc code and what the hell the atmospheric pressure code is?

im using a y8 motor, head and dizzy
w/a6 im, pm6 ecu

if anyone has some help id appreciate it!!

yeah im using the a6 injectors and fuel rail i got it to fire up but it would only idle smooth, then when i would try to give it gas it would stumble at about 2500 rpm consistently. im not really sure what else to check it will fire up if i spray carb cleaner into the intake or if i let the fuel rail prime itself first but if it dies then it will not fire back up unless i do one of these things first

why do i need to use the a6 dizzy if i changed the plugs over from the y8 dizz?

Yes, you have to use the obd 0 dizzy, like i said. Im not trying to get on your case, but seriously did you research this swap any before you did it?

i researched it as far as the dpfi to mpfi changeover goes, but when i had the obd0
dizzy in there it wouldnt get any spark, but the igniter is good then when i put the y8 dis in it would almost fire every time and i had nice spark. im not doubting that youre right about needing the obd0 dis but it just doesnt seem to make sense the way that its running right now to me it seems like a fuel prob but then im getting that atmospheric pressure code and i dont know what the hell that is or what to do
about it im gonna put the pm6 dis back on and see what happens from there :shrug2:

hey thanks guys, turns out thta the obd0 dis i had was bad just got a new one and the fired right up, all i have to deal with now is the coolant temp sensor code

i heard that you need to move it from the thermostat housing to the back of the y8 block, but the way i figure it i should just be able to extend the wires over to thetherm housing. seems like a more logical decision, any suggestions??

Back