yay.......I just spent $130 on a battery I dont need.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

I'm having a few "issues" with my little bastard of a Hatch.

1) I noticed my battery light go on a few days ago....flickered on and off for a few days, would go off when I floored it. Car started fine every time. Driving home the other day and the speedo stopped working, and the lights dimmed like crazy. It was about time to change the battery anyways, so i got a new one last night. Light went out. Drove to school this morning, light comes back on. Fucking piece of shit.

Any ideas?

2) My gas milage is at an all time low. About 400KM to a tank low. But...I'm not sure it's the actual gas milage, but the way things are going it probably is. Anyways to make a long story short, my Gas gauge goes from reading exactly half a tank, to below empty in as little as 50KM. That's half - to - empty- in - 31 Miles. Never used to do that. That would translate to the worst milage in history.

Any Ideas?

Thanks for any help.

1. that's defenitly your alternator.

2.Fuel leak? Are you sure you're getting that kind of mileage.

Fill up. Reset ODO., Go back whenever, make sure you FILL the tank again.

ODO reading/number of gallons = gas mileage

random EX. 254/12= 21.16

You guys think it's all connected? I've been having the seemingly "hollow" bottom of the tank for a little while.....

your fuel sender is electronic. it could be shot.
whats yoru gas mileage for the first half of the tank?

but #1 is def the alt.

first step is actually checking the functionability of the guage.

Easiest way without having to do anything besides normal driving. Check your MPG or LP100K in your case.

Quoted post[/post]]
your fuel sender is electronic. it could be shot.
whats yoru gas mileage for the first half of the tank?

but #1 is def the alt.

Milage for the first half of the tank is roughly 250KM...on average....can be more, can be less. But I can make the bottom dissapear in as little as 50KM...driving normally (no VTEC pulls). I'll accelerate and do some shifts at say 4500, and I can watch the gas gauge go down a quarter inch. I mean, there is crazy play on the gas gauge....it's all over the place, and it never used to be that way. I'd fill it, and it'd stay on full for 150KM, then it would empty in a linear fashion as I drove. It's all over the fucking place now.

Also, last year I was getting around 550KM per tank (mix of city and highway driving), and now it doesn't matter whether I'm on the higway, or in stop and go traffic, the milage is the same. It's wierd.

In addition, when the engine is hot, on a full load, I have a huge lag in acceleration in between 2500-3500 RPM's, which I thoght was the coil, which I replaced, which worked for 3 weeks and now it's doing it again.

I dunno..... I mean, I don't mind driving the RSX to school every day but I wan't my damn hatch back. this is fucking pissing me off.

and 92civicb18b1...thanks for the help dude....alternator here we come.

Quoted post[/post]]

1) I noticed my battery light go on a few days ago....flickered on and off for a few days, would go off when I floored it. Car started fine every time. Driving home the other day and the speedo stopped working, and the lights dimmed like crazy. It was about time to change the battery anyways, so i got a new one last night. Light went out. Drove to school this morning, light comes back on. Fucking piece of shit.

2) My gas milage is at an all time low. About 400KM to a tank low. But...I'm not sure it's the actual gas milage, but the way things are going it probably is. Anyways to make a long story short, my Gas gauge goes from reading exactly half a tank, to below empty in as little as 50KM. That's half - to - empty- in - 31 Miles.

Your alternator is dying. Happened to my camry in March, I thought the engine was going. Change out your alternator, and, most importantly

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR UNTIL YOU CHANGE THE ALTERNATOR. YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR NEW BATTERY IN RECORD TIME!
</span>

I had to get a new battery along with the new alt because of this. The dying alternator forces your car to try and run off the battery instead of the alt while driving. This kills the battery quickly and sends it to a quick death.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

2) My gas milage is at an all time low. About 400KM to a tank low. But...I'm not sure it's the actual gas milage, but the way things are going it probably is. Anyways to make a long story short, my Gas gauge goes from reading exactly half a tank, to below empty in as little as 50KM. That's half - to - empty- in - 31 Miles.

Your alternator is dying. Happened to my camry in March, I thought the engine was going. Change out your alternator, and, most importantly

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR UNTIL YOU CHANGE THE ALTERNATOR. YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR NEW BATTERY IN RECORD TIME!
</span>

I had to get a new battery along with the new alt because of this. The dying alternator forces your car to try and run off the battery instead of the alt while driving. This kills the battery quickly and sends it to a quick death.

Thanks....ya the hatch is parked for now...the Type S has resumed daily driver status for the mean time. I called up Honda to try and source out the alternator...it's on back order for 4-6 weeks (from a 94 DelSol VTEC). And to boot, the part costs $400 cdn. All I wanted to do is drive the thing for a few more weeks until the shitty weather comes...oh well, looks like it's getting stored early this year. :cry:

have your alternator rebuilt. There's a guy here in my town that will rebuild just about anything for less than $100 USD. If the parts are more, then of course the price goes up. Usually it's 50-100.

I'm sure you have an automotive electric place somewhere in your area.

Quoted post[/post]]
have your alternator rebuilt. There's a guy here in my town that will rebuild just about anything for less than $100 USD. If the parts are more, then of course the price goes up. Usually it's 50-100.

I'm sure you have an automotive electric place somewhere in your area.

True that, I'll look into it.

see this is why i shouldnt drink. i have fun answering questions on this forum, and when they are already answered its just plain depressing.......but yeah, uhh change that alternator. pray you dont have my problem and the thing doesnt fall the fuck off the car. In my protege the alt bracket broke, and hit the PS pump and knocked it off too and i dragged that thing for a mile before i realized what the sound was (this was a time when i thought cars were magic)

i've had both of the same problems you've got. the battery problem turned out to be the tranny ground that forgot to be connected after a swap. :doh: . just be sure to go over all your grounds before you do anything with the alt.

the gas gauge problem has been the same way you speak of since i bought my car... but hasen't bothered me enough to put enough energy into to try to fix it. be sure to post up the answer if you manage to fix it though.

Quoted post[/post]]
i've had both of the same problems you've got. the battery problem turned out to be the tranny ground that forgot to be connected after a swap. :doh: . just be sure to go over all your grounds before you do anything with the alt.

the gas gauge problem has been the same way you speak of since i bought my car... but hasen't bothered me enough to put enough energy into to try to fix it. be sure to post up the answer if you manage to fix it though.

Will do bro...I'm going to drop it off at my Mechanic's place now....I don't have time for this as the moment. I'll let you know.

Back