yes, Chevy- you're 2003 line up sucked.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

red95solsi Posted on Jan 16 2004, 04:04 PM
QUOTE (bigdaddyIII @ Jan 16 2004, 11:48 AM)
only 153,000, and i ALREADY need the valves adjusted. oh, and i just replaced the battery. so, there are exceptions to every rule.

you should have the valves adjusted before 153K its not a big deal you can even do it yourself there is an article on this site if you think it is

it hasnt needed it until just recently. i have to wait til im not at work(which is all the damn time) and ill get it taken care of.

Originally posted by revolution8k+Jan 16 2004, 10:08 AM-->
@Jan 16 2004, 06:20 AM
kind of off topic but I will never buy Domestic again.....  I have a 2001 Windstar that needs a new transmission after only 50000 miles....  I dont drive it so it has been driven gently..... :D

So you're never ever going to give any and every domestic car a chance just because of ONE domestic family hauler gave you uber (under warrenty) problems? :roll:

I hate people like that. Come to think of it, I'll never buy import again...radio doesn't work, tranny shifts like shit, door locks stop working...all at UNDER 40k miles. Not to mention the crazy squeaking I heard from the fucking tires the other night that luckily went away... :blink:

Wait...I don't think like that. :roll:

This is why honda's own. Look at gabes car, 400k MILES and he still beats on that thing. And to Domeskilla, gabes is the cheap "POS ecconmy car" that your refering to. Ecconomy car does not just mean it is cheap from the dealership, but also, you dont have to put alot of money into it. Defently makes a J body not a ecconmy car. Almost all honda's are just ecconomy cars, and they are sure as hell alot nicer to drive then an american ecconomy car. We are comparing the same things. If you want to compare Japanesse cars vs Camaros and Mustangs, dont use a civic, compare it with something comprabile, like the 350z, s2000, Evo, WRX, ect.

In my family, we have had a mustang, a camaro, a grand marquie, Grand Caravan (x2), and not one was a never touch kind of thing. The Mustang and the marquie both leaked oil like crazy by the time they reached 125000 miles. I am talking close to a quart a week. With the camaro, there was so many little things, like a shock would go one month, a door lock the next. The Grand caravan (biggest POS in the world) was on its 5th transmission when we got rid of it at 100k miles. This was before I was driving, and it was only my parents who drove it. Never towed anything, mostly all highway miles.

And reliablity is not the only thing that makes American cars blow. You buy the car for most of the time more then what the price of a comprable japanesse car would be, then 5months later, the price of the car drops 5k in value. I was reading autotrader about a week ago, there are some SVT focus's in there that are going for $10,000 less then what they bought it for a year ago. Ever wonder why an automatic integra still can pull 5k when it has 100,000 miles on it?

Oh and back on topic, I went to the Detroit autoshow today, GM's new line up is still crappy. The Areo (basicly a big geo metro) looks like crap, and has no power, even for an ecconmy car. The Cobalt still uses the 20 year old ecoNON-tech engine. The Malibu and Malibu Max again are boring as hell. For about the same price, I would much rather buy the comprable Mazda 3 or Mazda 6. The new corvette has lost its design. It is now just a ho-hum very fast car. It no longer has the sex appeal. The new solstice is nice, I must give Lutz credit on that.

And for the other big four automakers ford has caned the tarus and now had to dig out of the Mazda parts bin, and produce the new ford 500, which uses the mazda 6 chassis. Look at that, ford is actually becoming more and more japanese. The mustang is nice. Again, I will give them credit.

My parents had a 91 Subura Legacy. The thing fell apart by 80k. What a piece of shit. I have nothing good to say about that car. My 95 Blazer that I bought off of my mom had 110k on it when I traded it in. My parents owned it since new. The only thing that went on it was the altenator, and it needed new idler arms and ball joints. No oil leak, no tranny problems. I still sometimes regret selling the thing sometimes. After that I bought a 03 zr2. I owned it for a year and 5 days and put 15k on it. I had no problems at all, except for a light burnt out on my 4 wheel drive switch. I towed my boat about 1,500-2000 miles out of that. I offraoded it many times, and I pulled a few cars up hill in reverse( I needed to see what the people were doing since the car had no steering and the wheels kept locking to the side). When I traded it in for my Silverado I only lost 3,300 on it. The only complaints I had with it was it should have had 4.11s in the back instead of 3.73s. I think it moved a little better and gotten better gas milage. Not bad at all in my book. I have not had one problem with my Silverado but I have only had it for about 40 days and put 700 miles on it. The 8 in the Silverado gets the same gas milage as my zr2 did and its not even broken in yet.
My 91 Civic was buring a quart a week at 150k and the tranny was having problems shifting after 120k and died at 156k.

Here's my perspective on things. A lot of car companies put out bad apples.

My buddy had a chevy corsica, had 280k, he beat on it ever day, never died tillhe lost it in the snow and totaled her. All he ever did was radiator, timing belt, and basic tune ups.

My dad had a 95 blazer LT. Freeze plugs went in the 1st month. Rear end went 2 months later, he was 2nd owner at 50k, never had a scratch. He got a new 2000 blazer instead. He's gone through 3 batteries, 2 alternators, 2 exhausts, and the auto start's still really messed up, so they just unplugged it at the dealership. He only drives on the weekend and pussy puts it around. My dad back in the day had a 1985 toyota pick up, besides a motor at 200k of driving it daily, he never had a single problem besides replacing the clutch, alternator, and a battery and the stereo. And that's dandy for having a 17 year old truck.

My step mom has a 95 toyota camry, with basic maintenance, never had a problem yet and it just got its 100k tune up.

My step brother had a 1989 toyota camry, nothing was broken, we were 2nd owner, and it had well over 160k, and still not a single problem with good maintenance.

If you want reliability get a toyota IMO, can't go wrong. Hell you can't go wrong with most cars if you do shit right, and do routine maintenace and don't beat the piss out of it, but there always those bad apples.

How about this for size?

Last year, Consumer Reports did a survey of god knows how many people on the reliability of their cars. In the Top Ten, not one was American, one was Swedish, and one was German. What does that leave? 8 Japanese vehicles.

You can talk all you want about the few bad Japanese cars out there, or the few good American ones, but the fact is, Japanese cars will always surpass American cars in terms of reliability. Anyone believing any differently is only fooling himself.

long story warning!
my Dad learned on a 56 Chevy with 3 on the tree. car was 3 years old at the time. Every now and then the shift linkage got stuck, and the car was rendered immobile. He found a way to fix it, by reaching in through the firewall and retightening some stuff. This happened often.
fast forward to the late sixties. My dad's roomate bought a new pontiac with 3 on the tree. within a few months it started to have the same problem. my dad got out his tools, reached under the firewall and tightened stuff.
fast forward to early eighties. my dad had to borrow a GMC truck from work, late 70's model with 3 on the tree. same problem, dad found the same linkage design as in the 60's pontiac and 56 Chevy. During this time GM would redesign the styling every single year, but didn't redesign a problematic shift linkage for over twenty years.
It seems to me that Japanese manufacturers concentrate on reliability, european makers concentrate on safety, and american manufacturers concentrate on marketing.

Back