Yes Im a NOOB to Hondas but not to cars but need the boards opinion about a 1991Honda

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pwjuggernaut

CRX HF model. Ive been working on the car for a while now and changed almost everything I can FRAME based (struts, coilsprings, contol arms, front and rear bearings, etc...) before starting on the engine. My question is this....Im trying to get the best gas mileage possible but need to increase overall power on the low and high ends---low end because I live in the mountains and need more power for hills and high end for the interstate driving I do. Im more than willing to sacrifice some gas mileage for power but would like to try to keep it some where in the 40 mpg range. I would also like to be able to keep the HF tranny if possible.
I have read about mini me swaps along with complete JDM and Integra conversion swaps, but honestly I grew up working on Cheys and Fords so a lot of this is new to me. Please dont snap at me because I am trying to learn its just Hondas kinda seem to be like Leggos with all the interchangable parts and it can be complicated at times...

Thanks for any help you can Provide!
Paul

I have a d15b1 engine with a broken cam shaft ill sell you for 80 buck that might be somewhere to start I'm new to Honda as well.

I'm not sure if you are looking to get more power out of the stock motor, swap it, or w/e. My dream daily driver has always been a 89-91 CRX HF with the japanese only D15B with 3stage vtec. This would get you enough power as well as retarded gas milage. What are you looking to spend on this?

There's no need for you to have two identical threads running. If you want more answers, then just try bumping this one. I'm shutting down the other one...

EDIT: I see that you realized your mistake. I shut the other one down for you...

Last edited:
BrutayB83...I was looking for the delete option but didnt see one when I realized what I had done. Thank you.

Korax most of the work I can do myself so Im not afraid to spend a little money to get where I need to be. I just dont want to end up with the thought of 2-3 grand and end up with 8-10...As far as the stock motor is concerned I could care less about that because Im not opposed to a swap. I would just like to keep the HF tranny because it is geared so high and helps mpg.
Thank you for any advice you can give me!

PS-I wouldnt object to changing the tranny if it would increase power and mpgs would stay in the 40s if that helps any.

Paul

IMO a d16a6, d16z6, or a dohc zc would be good options to look into. I have a 90 crx dx with a dohc zc and a si trans that gets 35mpg combined city hwy and has seen 45-50 mpg on road trips over the mountains.

Back